NEWS

Any idea what South Africa's up to in the 5E era?

• 10 Replies

White Ronin

• Newb
« on: <08-27-13/1734:05> »
I'm brainstorming character concepts, and one is an Ork from South Africa.  If anyone has any idea what that country/region is like in the era of 5E, that'd be skookum.  Alternatively, if anyone can direct me to any books that have a decent snapshot of the region in the 2070s, that would be excellent too.

Cheers
Ro

cyclopean

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-13/2129:25> »
South Africa= Azania. Check out the 6th World Almanac, it has some occasional errors but is a good overall look at the world up to about 2073, so only a few years behind 5E. I don't recall anything about Azania in Storm Front, not sure if there's any more current info than 6WA.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-27-13/2138:07> »
Not really.

Runners Haven is set in 2070, but it has a writeup of Cape Town.

Generally, South(ern) Africa is now the Azanian Confederation of four very disparate states including the Zulu Nation, which is the African Tír.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <08-27-13/2142:06> »
Azania is one of the few places in Africa that has risen to "God-forsaken hellhole" status. Interestingly enough, the racism there is less metahuman type-based, and more the traditional skin color and tribal affiliation types, as well as a healthy helping of sexism, where appropriate. The Zulu kingdom is part of the Azanian Confederation, and is one of those elven lands that just doesn't get talked about as much as the Tirs, probably because it is in Africa.

Things to know about Africa:
Ghouls. There are so many ghouls that they basically made their own country, and eat anyone who disagrees with them being there.
Shedim. You think Shedim were bad in North America? Imagine what they were like in someplace like Africa, where everything else already wants you dead.
Disease. No surprise here.
Poverty. Again, no surprises.

Azania is one of the nicer parts of Africa, until you get up towards the Mediterranean coast.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <08-27-13/2250:01> »
They aren't as uppity about "Elven Culture" as the Tirs are, as well.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-28-13/0540:29> »
Really? I got the impression that they were at least as hard-nosed about Elven-ness, partially because that's where the Heavenherds hang out.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-28-13/1326:10> »
Well, they're big on the 'elven' thing, but they're more of a traditional tribal structure, AFAIK. It goes back to what I said earlier. In most of Azania, tribes and skin color mean more than metatype. The Zulu just happen to be a tribe that is almost entirely elves, however...

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-28-13/1833:11> »
Excuse me as I try to keep my eyeballs from rolling back into my ...

Hey! So that's what synapses look like!

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #8 on: <08-29-13/2122:49> »
Aren't the Heavenherds rabidly xenophobic? As in KoS, even against other elves and anything but the Rain Queen?
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-31-13/0514:01> »
Well, not so much kill on sight, but they are definitely not shy about 'encouraging' people to stay away.

My Characters

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #10 on: <08-31-13/1742:49> »
Africa is one of the world's biggest sources of virgin telesma and the corporate exploitation of these resources leads to much work for shadowrunners. In particular in West Africa and the interior. I read something once about the interior tribles being some of the best foci creators in existence (Due to envioronment, in addition to the presence of virgin telesma), but can't remember where I found that.