NEWS

A.I. Inherent Programs

• 13 Replies

Codac

• Chummer
« on: <10-13-10/1156:02> »
I am in the process of writing to have his origin be a drone pilot program and i can't decide what to take as inherent programs and would like to know what you guys suggest. I need five of them by the way.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <10-13-10/1205:48> »
Analyze, Command, Scan, ECCM and Sniffer would be my recommendations.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-10/0702:18> »
I'd take Stealth before Sniffer.  They make about the same amount of sense, but being able to raise your Stealth to 12 with Karma is going to be great.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-10/0903:28> »
Yeah, but would a Drone Pilot program be created with Stealth or Sniffer? Stealth is the better program, but I don't see it as being inherent to this AI.

Codac

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-10/0906:17> »
Thanks for the advice guys.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-15-10/1326:01> »
It makes sense for a recon drone pilot (kinda).  Translating real world sneakiness to matrix sneakiness isn't that big of a leap.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #6 on: <10-16-10/0749:12> »
Do you guys only play with the programs in the table?
Many A.I. Profils needing some other Inherent Programs as well, to function as orgin code. These Inherent Program table is not complied many programs from the Unwired and Arsenal are missing. And that's a pity!

We decided to give the A.I. a proper programming, if the needed program is not in the table, the GM decides, if it is a inherent program or not, and which Attribute is the base.

Btw: How do you manage it, if it is a e-Ghost. Yes I know they have no inherent programs at the start, but in game, they could get any program as such or not?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #7 on: <10-16-10/2041:36> »
Stealth is used to keep your node hidden and as such is the first line of defense against hacking, spoofing and tracing.  I could see a drone pilot which has evolved to the point of intelligence having stealth.

Like, if you're talking about a taxicab pilot that gained sentience, I wouldn't expect any hacking programs, but if you're talking about a security drone or a military drone, basically anything worried about getting Spoofed, then Stealth makes sense as a good defensive program.

Sniffer is only used to illegally listen in on other people's communications, so it would make sense in some settings, but those same settings would probably want Stealth too.
« Last Edit: <10-16-10/2045:38> by Kontact »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <10-16-10/2140:35> »
Stealth only works if you don't want to be detected in the node. If the AI started out as a sec/mil drone, then he'd be at home in the sec/mil grid and wouldn't need to Spoof his own system. Sniffer is used to detect Wireless signals, a good ability for a drone seeking out those that don't belong in it's patrol.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #9 on: <10-16-10/2151:43> »
No, that's just Scan that finds signals.  Sniffer is an intercept and decode thing.

But Stealth does prevent a node from giving up its secrets.  So, if someone hacks the security grid, they have to use Matrix perception to discover the nodes connected to that network and to find information such as the power of its Firewall, System Analyze, etc.

If your target is running a Stealth program, the Matrix
Perception test becomes an Opposed Test, with the target rolling
Hacking + Stealth (or Firewall + Stealth for programs or nodes) as
the opposing dice pool. The hits from this test reduce your hits and
consequently the amount of information you get. If you garner no
net hits, the target is not invisible as such, but its icon has melded
into the background of data traffic, escaping your notice.

So, it does hide the node from scrutiny.  It doesn't help fight the Detect Hidden Node action, since Scan just finds signals, and doesn't have anything to do with the specifics of those signals, like a Sniffer action does with its Capture Wireless Signal action.

Edit: I could honestly see even a cab company keeping their stuff Stealthed since he helps keep private information private. 
« Last Edit: <10-16-10/2156:34> by Kontact »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <10-16-10/2318:47> »
Sorry, I mistook Capture for Intercept Wireless Signals. I can see a drone having Stealth for the reasons you listed, but my preference is still for Sniffer. It's all about whether the program was more offensive (Sniffer) or defensive (Stealth).

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #11 on: <10-17-10/0511:11> »
Thanks guys for ignoring my questions! :-*
And still they are essential for the choice of the right Inherent Program. Because if you allow other programs, the choice would probably be different! i.e. a taxi-pilot would get some [Profession] Autosofts.

And the e-Ghost question is a hard nut.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <10-17-10/1334:16> »
Thanks guys for ignoring my questions! :-*
And still they are essential for the choice of the right Inherent Program. Because if you allow other programs, the choice would probably be different! i.e. a taxi-pilot would get some [Profession] Autosofts.

And the e-Ghost question is a hard nut.

Sorry about the UV. I wasn't really ignoring it, just got caught up in the Sniffer/Stealth debate. E-ghosts are tough, simply because they could be anything. They would be as varied as any 'meat' Shadowrunner since their background could be anything, what with the Crash 2.0 and all.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #13 on: <10-18-10/0405:09> »
Well, there's noting in the rules about adding new programs to an AIs codebase.  It's one of the many omissions.

The AI rules are pretty half-baked.  Runner's Companion is a book full of holes.

As a GM, how would I handle it?  Maybe like Initiation or Submersion.  As if it were a major event which changes the fundamental nature of the character (and costs 15 karma...)  Consuming and digesting some sort of code such that it becomes a part of who and what the AI is?  That's pretty intense.  Also, I would allow software options at, say 5 karma per level of the option, so getting biofeedback rating 3 on your inherent attack costs 15 karma.  Finally, I wouldn't allow any programs that are capped by their nature (like available as 1-4 only,) such as Tacnet and Autosofts, or unrated programs like Negator.  Those programs have goofy rules, so they don't fit with the rest of the pack.
« Last Edit: <10-18-10/0434:19> by Kontact »