NEWS

After Burning Bright

• 8 Replies

neomerlin

• Newb
« on: <05-18-18/0620:34> »
So, I just read Burning Bright for the first time and loved it. 10/10 would be blown away by a half-kiloton nuke of a story again. The one issue I had was the subplot with Kyle's family was a touch under developped.

But  at the end (spoiler alert) after the whole part 2 of the story was driven by Kyle's search for his ex-wife and daughter, we never find out what became of them! Were they safe? Was he too late and they were cocooned? Does he ever find out?

I am deeply upset by the lack of resolution in this fictional character's personal life! Does this abandoned plot thread get resolved anywhere or am I doomed to die never knowing?

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-18-18/1440:12> »
I'm not aware of the story ever getting resolved in any canonical sources, though I know that Seeks-The-Moon continues to follow/work with Anne Ravenheart as of 5th edition.

Honestly I suspect they didn't resolve what happens to his family on purpose, for 2 reason. First, it gives players and GMs a chance to resolve that plot line as they see fit in their own campaigns, for better or worse. And second, it really made the whole feel of the story hit home, that even as skilled and capable and heroic as Kyle was, sometimes you never get the answers you want, or any answers at all. In every natural(or unnatural) disaster, they recover plenty of bodies that are never identified, and usually there are still dozens/hundreds/thousands of people that weren't found at all and are officially "missing".

With the events in Chicago it's entirely possible that their story did get resolved, but not in any way that Kyle was ever aware of. Heck technically they could be still in stasis in some bug hive buried under the city, because the hives went dormant and magic did some seriously weird stuff after the Cermak Blast.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <05-18-18/1917:44> »
I get a nagging feeling that the author Tom Dowd (all bow down to the Great Creator spirit) said “Whatever you want it be” in regards to Kyle’s and his family
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-18-18/2057:15> »
Very possible. Shadowrun is a game where ask 3 people what it is to them and you'll get 4 answers. Some people really embrace the hopeless dystopia, and others still like there to be heroes and for there to be the occasional happy ending.
-Wyatt Earp

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-19-18/0056:38> »
I'm not aware of the story ever getting resolved in any canonical sources, though I know that Seeks-The-Moon continues to follow/work with Anne Ravenheart as of 5th edition.
That suggests Seeks-The-Moon got to stay free and that makes me happy.

Honestly I suspect they didn't resolve what happens to his family on purpose, for 2 reason. First, it gives players and GMs a chance to resolve that plot line as they see fit in their own campaigns, for better or worse. And second, it really made the whole feel of the story hit home, that even as skilled and capable and heroic as Kyle was, sometimes you never get the answers you want, or any answers at all.
I really dig this interpretation. I'm just a sucker for love and a happy ending, so I really wanted to know that it worked out for Kyle and his family. The idea of resolving plotlines as GMs and players is an interesting one, though. I might have just rewritten the next few sessions of my campaign. It might be set 21 years later, but that just means Natalie is old enough to find her father on her own steam!

I get a nagging feeling that the author Tom Dowd (all bow down to the Great Creator spirit) said “Whatever you want it be” in regards to Kyle’s and his family
It's probably too hopeful of me to ask for a source, so I won't. But I can live with that answer from Dowd. I'll just write the happy ending in my head canon.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <05-22-18/1354:42> »
The idea of resolving plotlines as GMs and players is an interesting one, though. I might have just rewritten the next few sessions of my campaign. It might be set 21 years later, but that just means Natalie is old enough to find her father on her own steam!

Awesome! Multi-generational Shadowrunners are definitely a thing. Just ask Slamm-o or Bull's son Tauren.
-Wyatt Earp

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <03-18-19/0307:43> »
Very late to the party here, BUT;

Check out "Bug City" and Target Wasteland: UCAS...

Both 3e source books for Shadowrun... Both have more info on Kyle, Seeks-The-Moon, and their stories.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

neomerlin

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <04-01-19/1735:46> »
Very late to the party here, BUT;

Check out "Bug City" and Target Wasteland: UCAS...

Both 3e source books for Shadowrun... Both have more info on Kyle, Seeks-The-Moon, and their stories.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have a look. I still haven't run my own resolution adventure (we're getting there) but I'll check these out for inspiration and details :)

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <04-02-19/2148:34> »
Out of curiosity, did you mean Target:UCAS? I've read Bug City, and only partly read through Target UCAS. I'm asking because there's also a book called Target: Wastelands but I didn't see a section on the UCAS in the index.
-Wyatt Earp