NEWS

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Rules and such / Re: [SR 6] Exotic Weapons and Specializations
« Last post by Moonrunner on <03-24-24/2029:07> »
Thanks.
Rules and such / Re: SR6 Best Character Creation Method?
« Last post by MercilessMing on <03-21-24/1711:47> »
Sum-to-10 is my favorite way to build, because it gives you a great deal of flexibility over Priority, while being a lot faster than Point Buy.

If you're interested in an analysis of "what method results in the most powerful characters", read my post on the Shadowrun subreddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/uyl3aq/6e_point_buy_and_life_path_in_companion/

Point Buy results in the most powerful Mundane characters, because money is undervalued.

Priority/Sum-to-10 give you the most powerful Adepts, because D priority Magic is crazy powerful.

Life Path, if you "cheat" and guide it where you want, makes the most powerful magicians because your spells are free, and special attributes are weighted the same as regular attributes.  Mystic adepts created this way are incredibly better than other methods, so much so it's fair to say it's broken for that archetype.  This is because mysads get 1 power point for every point of magic, just like adepts, instead of having to split.
Rules and such / Re: [SR 6] Exotic Weapons and Specializations
« Last post by FastJack on <03-21-24/0651:26> »
From the Missions FAQ:

Do I get a +2 when I use my exotic weapon because it is a specialization?
No. You’re required to have the specialization to even use the weapon and don’t get the +2 from the specialization.
Rules and such / [SR 6] Exotic Weapons and Specializations
« Last post by Moonrunner on <03-21-24/0117:40> »
Since you have to have a Specialization in every Exotic Weapon skill you want to have, do you still get the +2 dice pool bonus that having a Specialization normally gives when using the skill?
Rules and such / Re: SR6 Best Character Creation Method?
« Last post by FastJack on <03-20-24/0704:35> »
I do like the Lifepath because it feels more organic to building the character.
Rules and such / SR6 Best Character Creation Method?
« Last post by Moonrunner on <03-20-24/0638:18> »
Now that we have supplemental books for SR 6 like the Companion which character creation method do you think is best?

I just picked up the Companion and upon initial browsing, Point Buy and Lifepath caught my eye.
(Honestly CGL should consider creating a zero-price Master Index that gets updated with new books. That reminds me, I need to figure out how to neatly do an index and a short-fiction template in my Holostreets designs.)
General Discussion / Re: Did the new core rulebooks fix the game?
« Last post by FastJack on <03-18-24/1805:51> »
I have no idea if "all" the drones are included now, what a super vague question!
The drone list in the Core book is not complete, just like weapons, spells, decking, etc., etc., etc., have all been expanded by other books.
Gamemasters' Lounge / Re: Running a Run: Perception
« Last post by FastJack on <03-18-24/1803:41> »
With the enemies, it's pretty common. Saves the DM from rolling so many dice when you can just take the number of dice, divide by 4 and round down. Now, if there's a situation where they get Edge on the runners...
Official Announcements / Re: Coming Next Week!
« Last post by Michael Chandra on <03-18-24/1801:24> »
yeah, basically they were still using the old chronology progression of 1 year in real life = 1 year in game time not realizing/not having been informed that it had been changed to 1 year in real life = 6 month in game time.

Which caused the German timeline to be in early 2084 instead of early 2083 as per the later supplement (Wild life and Falling point).

Considering how fast some aspect of the Shadowrun timeline can move that can be quite significant.

Wait, what?  When did that change happen?  For that matter, WHY did that change happen?

I do understand that the pace of a game in play will almost never keep up with the game calendar at a 1-to-1 ratio, but a) lagging behind is not the worst thing, b) it makes the timekeeping really easy, and c) it has over 30 years of tradition to it.

Was this announced somewhere, or just put together with the jackpoint dates of books?  (I haven't paid much attention to those dates, and have just been assuming things were ticking along like they always have).
I've been aware of it for a while, and even had the official conversion formula at some point but lost it. I suspect 1 reason is because otherwise, the plot just went too fast. By the time you get a proper wrapup of a big metaplot, 4 years down the line, it would already be waaaaaay late. Either the universe was already in year X+2 by the time we got told what happened in year X, or the plot was going at a glacial rate. By condensing the game-time, so it's now 2 real years per game year, you no longer have that problem.

As a rough guideline, every 2 real years the start of con season equals the start of a gameyear. So in summer 2020 we started 2081, and now summer of 2024 will be roughly where 2083 starts for real.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10