NEWS

[SR4a] Archetypes: replacements for the Sample Characters

• 411 Replies

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #195 on: <04-18-12/0003:20> »
rating 2 adds one to all logic based skills and 1 to cracking and electronics skill groups
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

sway

« Reply #196 on: <04-18-12/0016:37> »
Hardware is 4 (rating) + 2 (logic) + 2 (encephalon) +1 (PushEd) = 9
Computer and Electronic Warfare are 1 + 2 (encephalon) + 1 (PushEd) = 4
Hacking is 6 + 2 (encephalon) +1 (PushEd) = 9 [+2 for Hacking on the Fly (codeslinger), +1 Exploit (commlink optimized for Exploit)]. 

Yogi

• Omae
« Reply #197 on: <04-18-12/0136:25> »
The combat hackers Data search pool is 10

Data search 1 + 2 (encephalon) +1 (PushEd) +2 (logic) = 6

Where does the other 4 come from? 
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink

sway

« Reply #198 on: <04-18-12/0202:11> »
The combat hackers Data search pool is 10

Data search 1 + 2 (encephalon) +1 (PushEd) +2 (logic) = 6

Where does the other 4 come from?

You don't add Logic to Data Search generally speaking, like other Matrix skills you generally add it to a program's rating. Note that Computer, Electronic Warfare, and Hacking all have + program. Data Search usually just uses one program, Browse, which the combat hacker has at rating 6. Thus DS 1 + 2 enceph + 1 push + 6 browse. Mind you, Data Search can occasionally use other programs, but generally it is going to be Browse.

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #199 on: <04-18-12/1801:14> »
Aside from the request for more humans, are there any other types of characters people would like to see? By "types" I mean stuff like metatype, general function, etc, rather than highly-specific things, since I want to keep them generic.

If you're lacking inspiration, I'd like to see what you'll do with a beastmaster (someones who tames paracritters), and my big challenge would be to make a not-sucking true generalist (with a little bit of magic, a little bit of hacking, a little bit of face and a little bit of B&E/stealth)... And shifters an infected too, I think they need more Archetype love from you...
And robotic ninja zombie pirates, because you never have enough of them

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #200 on: <04-18-12/1816:46> »
Right now I have a bit of a free time shortage, but I have been thinking about what to add. Right now the status of Possession in missions is in limbo, so I'm waiting for resolution on that front. One thing I'm considering is adding some example characters with specific things that are banned in missions but reasonably commonly used or that are more exotic, including Shifters and Infected, also maybe AI/Free Spirits.

Beastmaster doesn't really work in a Missions context due to the general no crafting policy. I looked into not training animals and just buying them, but unfortunately, the cost for useful trained animals is whoa crazy. I do something "one adept of each Way" and that would be a good place to put an animal trainer.

I think a MysAd who's a not-terrible true generalist is actually probably doable and I might include one. I think you can actually make a quite effective Charisma possession MysAd who can cover all of those bases.

Robotic ninja zombie pirates are unfortunately too broken. Wouldn't want people thinking I was a powergamer, or something.

Thanks for your feedback!

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #201 on: <04-18-12/2140:52> »
I'd love to see you make a A.I. or Free Spirit that doesn't suck. Very much so. :D

“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #202 on: <04-19-12/0127:54> »
Yes more archtype please  ;D

And it would be cool with some characters that are just good no matter if they are mission legal or not.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #203 on: <04-19-12/0214:33> »
A real adept that hasn't fubared their magic with implants would be good. I was actually rather peeved to see that the one in the second link was intentionally built with the absolute worst combos possible.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #204 on: <04-19-12/0320:56> »
I was actually rather peeved to see that the one in the second link was intentionally built with the absolute worst combos possible.

Dude, that's because those builds are April Fools jokes and UmaroVI was mocking Unaugmented Adepts. Chill out, learn to take a joke, and get over the fact that Augmented Adepts just plain overshadow Unaugmented Adepts when it comes to building a character that can actually get the job done.

You have a hard-on for "pure" magic users. That's blindingly obvious to anyone who has seen you open your mouth when the subject comes up. The reality of the situation, though, is that without major alterations to the rules the only reason to play a chrome-free Adept is because it spanks your RP monkey.

Or do you honestly believe there's any way to spend 4 PP that does better than getting you +5 Agility, +5 Strength, +1 Body, +4* Reaction, +3 IPs, and -1 DV on any attack dealing 2 DV or more? That's the benchmark, because that's what you can get for burning 4 Essence on Standard Grade Bioware without any Essence Cost tricks.

*Or +3, depending on how the GM rules Suprathyroid interacts with IP Boosters.
« Last Edit: <04-19-12/0332:22> by JustADude »
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #205 on: <04-19-12/0855:22> »
because it spanks your RP monkey.

I salute your turn of a phrase,sir or madam!
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #206 on: <04-19-12/0954:40> »
because it spanks your RP monkey.

I salute your turn of a phrase,sir or madam!

*takes a bow*

Thank you. And it's sir, last time I checked. ;)
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #207 on: <04-19-12/1059:09> »
[*takes a bow*

Thank you. And it's sir, last time I checked. ;)

It's the internet, better safe than sorry
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

groduick

• Newb
« Reply #208 on: <04-19-12/1239:56> »
I think a MysAd who's a not-terrible true generalist is actually probably doable and I might include one. I think you can actually make a quite effective Charisma possession MysAd who can cover all of those bases.

Tried that here

zarzak

• Chummer
« Reply #209 on: <04-24-12/2008:36> »
I'd second that I'd like to see you do a possession character, just with a disclaimer before it.

Also I'd like to see your take on a smuggler (since it *is* one of the archetypes in the book).  I know some of your characters can function as one, but none are truly designed for it.  :)