NEWS

[6e] Patrol IC

• 19 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-16-21/1130:14> »
Example on p.188
Matrix Perception does not have a threshold equal to Mungo's Sleaze rating.
Mungo should instead oppose Matrix Perception with his Willpower + Sleaze.
...just read the example as if Mungo got 4 hits on his Willpower + Sleaze test.

Technomancer Functions last sentence (p.189)
Matrix Perception is opposed with Willpower + Sleaze. With a tie, you can perceive the item’s icon. A single net hit will give you basic information, such as device rating, or whatever name the device or icon calls itself. Two net hits will give you more specific information, including individual attribute ratings, and what programs it is currently running. Five net let you know if the Persona Icon belong to a Technomancer.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-16-21/1311:23> »
Do we know if any plans to fix these in the next errata?

I can say on good authority that I know that the Errata Coordinator has seen your post :)

But seriously:

1) I was already aware of that example being faulty on account of it doing Overwatch Score wrong.  Never noticed it did Matrix Perception wrong, too.  Good call out!

2) Xenon's explanation is correct.  It doesn't take 5 net hits to spot a Technomancer, it's saying the # of net hits to learn the given detail of "the persona is a technomancer" is 5, rather than GM fiat.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Multifish2

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <05-16-21/1445:02> »
Thanks once again to both of you. That has now cleared those up for me :-)

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <05-16-21/2212:37> »
Just to close the loop on this...

When push came to shove, I was so busy trying to keep the mix of matrix and meat action going, I completely spaced on the Patrol IC.  It rolled once and missed egregiously, the PC did a Brute Force operation to get the file in question pretty rapidly, took the Data Bomb and shrugged it off (with Edge reroll pulled 7 successes on the soak), and by the time I remembered I had planned to roll the Patrol IC every round the hack was over.

To add insult to injury, the rest of the group managed a combination of Physical Mask, team Con rolls, and Spirit Confusion power, so the poor guard never even got to shoot or or hit his big red "launch the defensive drones" button.  When the group triggered the silent alarm and the boss called to ask what's going on, they immediately hacked the guard's commlink, rejected the incoming call, and put the boss on his block list.  I expect the poor guy will be out of a job tomorrow, but hey, as a solo guard vs. a team of shadowrunners, it could have been a lot worse.

Next run, the real base will need to be defended by on-site forces instead of the concerned boss calling for backup that arrives too late to matter.  :)

For a first session with a bunch of brand new players, though, we covered all the basics except drones and a gunfight, so it was a success in that regard.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-16-21/2320:04> »
Sounds like a successful "live fire exercise" for characters and players, both!
« Last Edit: <05-17-21/0004:05> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.