NEWS

Yamaha Raiden underbarrel weapon

• 6 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« on: <04-05-22/1522:00> »
The Yamaha Raiden rifle has what appears to be a combination grenade launcher/shotgun in it's underbarrel slot. Meaning, it seems to be one weapon that can accept both shotgun shells and minigrenades.

However, if this is the case... why do the two types of ammo have different feed mechanisms? The grenades seem to be magazine fed while the shotgun shells are loaded as a break action.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-06-22/0808:13> »
I've always taken it that the shotgun/grenade launcher is either/or swappable rather than being a combined weapon, but I'm not sure if that is based on previous editions or just an assumption?!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Sugarpink

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <04-08-22/1806:28> »
Regardless of the underbarrel being swapable or not, a grenade launcher and a shotgun are very different weapons, so it makes sense that they would have different feed mechanisms even if combined into one.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <04-09-22/1300:49> »
The raiden never had an internal underbarrel mounted weapon in previous editions so that would be new to SR6.

As to a combination shotgun/grenade.... no.

Shotguns are .75 to .85 caliber (under an inch diameter). The smallest propelled grenade was 25mm or 1 inch. (Never actually deployed. Too small a charge for any real damage) While the "standard" propelled grenade is 40mm or 1.5 inch diameter.

Without a properly sealed breech, your "gun" is now a bomb, with 30,000 psi to spray shattered metal into your face, arms and torso.

Choose which one you get at purchase. (Or buy 2 one with each!)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-08-22/0738:37> »
I just realized it's weirder than I thought... the "b" ammo feed type isn't "break action", it's "belt feed".

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-08-22/0832:58> »
Nah, (b) is still break action.

Weapons that used to be break action (PJSS Model 55 and Walther Palm Pistol) are still listed as (b) also in SR6 and weapons that used to be belt fed (Ingram Valiant, Stoner-Ares M202 and RPK HMG) are still listed as (belt) also in SR6.

This is also what is used in the beginning of the gear section where they describe gear stats (under the paragraph "Ammo"). "Capacity" in this context is instead used for items that can hold modifications and other adaptations.

The weapon/armor characteristics section of the combat chapter describing "Capacity" in the context of weapons and armor where your picture is taken from from is not fully accurate in this regard. There are no weapons with an ammo container of (a).

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-08-22/1601:50> »
Yeah, looks like they might have intended to have new abbreviations, but then copy pasted stuff from the 5th edition tables.

A belt feed of two rounds would just be bizarre.