NEWS

Drain Test = Damage Resistance Test?

• 7 Replies

j2klbs

• Newb
« on: <10-28-20/1202:29> »
I searched the forums but didn't see the answer.

When a magician performs a drain test as part of casting a spell, is this considered a "damage resistance" test?

In the Magic rules, I never see the words "damage resistance test", but the mage is clearly trying to avoid taking damage.  The ruling on this becomes relevant with regard to condition monitor damage as well as some statuses.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-20/1251:51> »
I searched the forums but didn't see the answer.

When a magician performs a drain test as part of casting a spell, is this considered a "damage resistance" test?

In the Magic rules, I never see the words "damage resistance test", but the mage is clearly trying to avoid taking damage.  The ruling on this becomes relevant with regard to condition monitor damage as well as some statuses.

My opinion is in line with yours.

Yes, by virtue of the principle of Prima Facie:  Unresisted Drain equates 1:1 to damage, ergo resisting drain is resisting damage.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-28-20/1436:43> »
So Toughness gets triggered

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <10-28-20/1439:50> »
J2k & SSDR

That is how we play it as well. 

Ming,

Don’t understand the comment.

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-28-20/1510:52> »
So Toughness gets triggered

Arguably, yes.

Of course, if you don't like that, then here's an alternate reading:

Even though Unresisted Drain = Damage, it's a conversion that happens after the Drain Resistance Test.  Ergo, it's damage that is inflicted when there was technically never a Damage Reduction Test.

Frankly, I don't see the issue with letting Toughness trigger on Drain rolls, though.  It seems "right" that being tough lets you sustain drain better than someone who's not tough.  Plus, it's not all that abusive since if you're suffering drain, you must be a magician.  And magicians have way more abusive things they can do with 12 karma than buy Toughness.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

j2klbs

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-28-20/1519:03> »
Thank you all for your replies!  Much appreciated!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-28-20/1900:14> »
Technically it seem to be a Drain Resistance Test (which will for example trigger the Centering metamagic and cause damage you can only rest or use Edge in order to heal) and not a [Regular] Damage Resistance Test (which will for example trigger the Toughness quality and the Knockdown mechanic etc) nor is it a Matrix Damage Resistance Test (which for example trigger the Hardening quality and the Armor program for riggers in hot-sim)

But I can see the alternative reading as well (mental training from Toughness let you gain a point of Edge against Drain and if you throw a really powerful spell you might also get knocked to the floor etc).

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <10-29-20/1035:44> »

My thought is aligned with with Xenon stated.  In as the RAW and how it could be interpreted.  I am pretty lack GM and would let you play it since I can think of a lot other ways to spend the 12 karma.

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum