NEWS

Custom Gear

• 6 Replies

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« on: <08-06-11/1312:17> »
I have been developing a pen and paper rpg for the past 2 years or with some friends and we have made probably over 1000 unique magical items. I see my gm in Shadowrun has taken these skills and used them to create some very interesting pieces of gear. Just a very simple example would be an armor jacket with 2 extra concealability. Another more intricate example would be a magical item with 3 charges that can be used to re-direct a gun attack at the owner of this talisman. Obviously, these kinds of items can be very powerful but they do make the game quite a bit more interesting imo. Now I know that there is always the potential to find things in game that I've never seen or heard of and it makes going to shops much more entertaining.

Currently there is no limit on how much mundane custom gear we can use  but there is a limit of 5 custom magical items such as the example above. As a balancing point, these items are sometimes priced quite high in the shops and it is a cool way to power up certain npcs beyond the norm.

Do you guys have stuff like this in your games? My group is new to SR4e but if there is interest, I would be glad to make a list of all the custom gear we encounter when the campaign is over so you guys could use it in your games if you like.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <08-07-11/1802:09> »
I don't have anything like magical items in my SR games. 

I'm not sure why, but I'm predisposed against the idea.  I think it's because one of my main problems with D&D in all editions is that it seems to quickly become 'Loot, the Character' instead of a role-playing game.  Shadowrun is all ready very item oriented, and this would likely make that worse.

My two nuyen.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-11/1853:32> »
Yeah, I know what you mean. My group went through that back when we played dnd, too. It certainly needs to be handled with care. That's why we have a limit of 5 custom magical items.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-11/1935:50> »
Magical items in SR4 all require Karma to be created/bonded (it's one of the required limiting factors of magic in the game).
Also, magic never automatically prevents anything, just gives penalties. As such to have magical items with charges that automatically change targets is more powerful than anything even great dragons have (and they will hunt down this new magic with reckless abandon.... )

Either way, there are already RAW mechanics to make these talismans you want with Anchoring metamagics.

You want it to redirect a gunshot?
You want something like anchored spell with a targeted Control Actions (Trigger, Voice). Force dependent, it will work to control the shooter to hit someone else. Cost? Depends on the force and amount of Karma to be invested in the item (due to the force of the spell), and seeing as karma has no price listed, it's up to the GM to decide how much it is.

The problem here really is that you seem to want more common magic in Shadowrun. Respectfyully, I suggest instead moving to Gamma World, Warhammer 40k or GURPS, as they are much better at making magic a 'common' option that anyone can use.

Shadowrun isn't like that, and there is a standing option from the Draco foundation to invent a magic item that a 'mundane' can use. In your campaign, it sounds like this has already been accomplished, where most GM's still use magic items very, very differently.

For reference though, I love your use of jackets with extra-concealability etc. Just be careful with tracking PC's though, as the more custom items you have in game, the more potential for out-of-the-box abuse and tracking to ensure that Enemies get the same options and advantages. Anything Shadowrunners get, the corps got first :P
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-08-11/0129:26> »
I assume the higher up npcs would have gear like this, too :) The few pieces I've obtained were quite interesting and fun. As for playing other games, no thanks :) I tried many and this is the only one I like these days. I don't think I'll buy any other gaming products other than Shadowrun ever again hehe.

I will pass on your advice to my gm though.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #5 on: <08-08-11/0138:39> »
I assume the higher up npcs would have gear like this, too :) The few pieces I've obtained were quite interesting and fun. As for playing other games, no thanks :) I tried many and this is the only one I like these days. I don't think I'll buy any other gaming products other than Shadowrun ever again hehe.

I will pass on your advice to my gm though.
At which point, your game becomes, well, stalemated.

You get a whole run sorted with multiple points of access to get a sniper shot off at your target.
 - And he deflects it with some quasi-magical knock-off item?  ???

And if you can do that, why not have all the oother problems with SR4 magic just resolved.
- Teleportation? Sure
- Mundanes using magical devices? No worries
- Perpetual motion machine? Boooring...

If your GM allows this, basically there are no longer any limits to what can be done in your game, and the corps will have done it bigger and better. So basically, if magic is common enough that mundanes can use it, well, you're screwed, in a word.

Don't get me wrong, I've messed with SR4 worlds in ways that were very silly but entertaining for GM and PC's at the time (ahh, all oceans turned to custard, still my favourite), but be aware that this is where your campaign is leading if magic items are a free-for-all.

Good luck though *shrugs*
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-08-11/0311:24> »
I don't think he plans on having anything too crazy. The talisman that can re-direct shots  is a rare item and the only time with such  a powerful effect. It does have just 3 charges and it costs way too much for me to afford. The other magical items he made  were much less crazy. I look at these items as a class of their own, just like cyberware or guns. I do expect the megacorps would have a good supply of these as well. Most of the items are pretty reasonable too, I just gave an example of the most powerful one.