NEWS

Suggestions on my new "mage"

• 26 Replies

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #15 on: <10-24-14/0623:26> »
i think the only other ware i wanna get him is a datajack and a smartlink. I dont wanna go below 5 essense though, so its gonna be a WHILE before he can afford the deltaware and betaware crap he'll need to keep the essence cost the same.
Trodes and goggles/glasses/contacts.
Essence is tight for mages, you can get reasonably similar results from a laser sight and tracer ammo at this stage. worthwhile picking it up later if you can spare the essence though!.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <10-24-14/0758:32> »
"Tracer ammo works in both directions. So does a laser sight."
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-24-14/0820:22> »
Besides, trodes and smartlinks work perfectly well without essence cost (just not as effectively, but still better then laser/tracer IIRC)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #18 on: <10-24-14/0828:21> »
not quite sure the enemy gets +2 accuracy in FA/BF and +1DP with wireless turned on just because YOU are using that load out :-)
it does give your position away somewhat, but opening up with a non-suppressed assault rifle tends to do that regardless.  :D

Besides, trodes and smartlinks work perfectly well without essence cost (just not as effectively, but still better then laser/tracer IIRC)
Yeah definitely, its not cheap though!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-24-14/0836:56> »
Yeah definitely, its not cheap though!
It's not exactly expensive either. Trodes are cheap, a smartlink in contacts is less then a k. The smartgun systems for all the guns can be a bit more but still, the whole deal can be gotten for 2k or less (no book here so I can't look up the details). And since he has resources B, it's not excessive.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <10-24-14/0856:37> »
Smartlink is 2k. 200 for contacts rating 1, 70 for trodes, 400 for external smartguns.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-24-14/0908:35> »
Smartlink is 2k. 200 for contacts rating 1, 70 for trodes, 400 for external smartguns.
2K? Huh that's more expensive then I thought. Still though.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #22 on: <10-24-14/1354:27> »
presumably the guns are the backup - not really worth it to pay the essence just to get an extra +1 in wireless mode.

Speaking of, I'd put smartlink on contacts or such. Ballistic masks are nice, but they're rather obvious. It's better to walk around with your smartlink at the ready without looking like a murderer on a rampage.

y'know, now that i think about it, why am i fucking with smartlink at all? these guns ARE the backup, so why even waste the money? Why not get throwbacks, so they can't be hacked? FUCK those high end guns. This dude aint no gun guy anyways.

Also, Ballistic Mask is +2 and PPP is +1 (IIRC) so that'd put you into encumberance.

dammit, you're right. gotta ditch the PPP.

Anyway, more serious problem - Aspected Magicians can't astrally project. So er, Astral Combat isn't going to do much.

i was under the impression that one could still fight an astral entity as long as one was able to perceive.

Also, I can't believe you spend all that karma in skills but don't pick up negotiation. Negotiation will determine how much you get paid.

He's never been good at convincing people to give him what he felt he was owed. He's always been better at taking it.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #23 on: <10-24-14/1651:17> »
i was under the impression that one could still fight an astral entity as long as one was able to perceive.
If you're within reach of the astral form, then yeah. But if you're only perceiving and the astral form is projecting, all it has to do is float out of your reach and you're boned, unless you have a ranged mana spell. But in the case of the mana spell, you're going to be using Spellcasting rather than Astral Combat.

Astrally perceiving and dual-natured characters use their physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Astral Combat + Willpower to fight wholly astral entities.
« Last Edit: <10-24-14/2256:41> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #24 on: <10-24-14/1958:45> »
Stats- A
Money- B
Elf- C
Aspected spellcaster- D
Skills- E

Give he's aspected & you blew a lot of cash on Bioware,  wouldn't it be easier to create the character as follows.

B-Mystic Adept
C-Cash
D-Elf

I could be wrong but I'm just thinking you'll end up with More Magic, More Spells, More Skills and no need for any of the bioware.

Also, Astral Combat for a character that can't project ?   Seems like a waste to me but maybe I'm not seeing something.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <10-25-14/0216:40> »
Encumbrance only starts penalizing you per whole two points, right? So +3 while at 2 still would work, and depending on whether you follow 1 interpretation of the rules or a looser one and the example, you may even get the +3 Armor. Ask your GM for their judgement call though.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-25-14/0321:23> »
Encumbrance only starts penalizing you per whole two points, right? So +3 while at 2 still would work, and depending on whether you follow 1 interpretation of the rules or a looser one and the example, you may even get the +3 Armor. Ask your GM for their judgement call though.
Gah you're right. The wording is weird, yes. If the maximum bonus is str, you never go over str (obviously) so the penalty would never trigger. Huh?