NEWS

Internal router whats its good for?

• 58 Replies

Rooks

• Omae
« on: <07-17-15/1250:29> »
Been thinking about the internal router in chrome flesh it says it protects stuff from being hacked using internal routing system so you can used wireless bonuses without fear of getting hacked provided you dont need to access the matrix to use said wireless bonus, so what does that actually entail? can you use it on non implanted devices too?

major bonus is the wired reflexes/reflect enhancers not worrying about getting hacked

I imagine stuff like map softs medkits etc that need matrix access to use the wireless bonus cant be protected but what about stuff like visual/audio enhancements on headphones or glasses? or stuff that reduces the simple to free actions to activate they just the same as their augmented counterpart? anything else?

PJ

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-17-15/1818:10> »
You brought up the most important one (IMO): Wired Reflexes + Reaction Enhancers.

Off the top of my head, cyberlimb accessories and False Face.  Probably cybereye/ear too.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-18-15/1518:46> »
I can't find it...
Could anyone copy pasta the description for Internal Router?

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-18-15/1651:39> »
Using the body’s internal neural network as “wires,” the
internal router allows the user’s cybernetics to communicate
with one another as if they were wirelessly
connected and, if expanded via a datajack or similar
broadcast-enabled piece of cyberware, with the rest of
the user’s gear.
This allows the use of some wireless functionality,
such as the quick-loading function of a smartgun or
the engagement of a smuggling compartment, but not
those that require an outside network or similar function,
such as skillwire downloads.

Unfortunately, which it affects and which it doesn't are largely going to be GM calls . . .

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-18-15/1737:39> »
Thanks.

Rooks, it seems clear that it only work for augmentations connected to your internal neural network (an ocular drone that is not attached to the eye socket would have to be wireless ON even if you have an internal router).

You will not get the wireless bonus of your goggles with vision enhancement unless you turn your goggles wireless on. Only cybernetics connected to your body are connected to your internal neural network and your internal router.

I read it as if you still need to have a wireless datajack and your smartgun still need to be wireless enabled, but if you have an internal router then your cybereyes with your smartlink enhancement can be wireless OFF and you will still benefit from smartgun system wireless bonuses.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-18-15/2204:44> »
If the non-cyber gear is connected to the Data Jack via cable I'd rule they'd get the Wireless bonus without being wireless.  I gotta think that would be mostly sensors, but YMMV. 

Smartguns need to draw data from the outside world sensors, windspeed, is it raining, and what not in order to work.  Smartgun links are chatty little things from my reading, if they're not wireless ON, no wireless bonus dice.  All IMO.

So, to Darzil's point, lotta GM calls.   

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-19-15/1317:19> »
1) Internal Router let your wireless off cybernetics communicate with each other as if they were wireless connected.

2) Internal Router + Datajack let your wireless off cybernetics communicate with external wireless enabled devices as if they were wireless connected.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-19-15/1749:16> »
I'm actually still wondering a bit of what the point of it is.

Cause like.. Okay, you've got the ability to run them through something else.. But what exactly does that mean? How is it any different in the end than running your implants in a Pan?

Would you be able to run them through a commlink implant at least?
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-19-15/1904:48> »
I'm actually still wondering a bit of what the point of it is.

Cause like.. Okay, you've got the ability to run them through something else.. But what exactly does that mean? How is it any different in the end than running your implants in a Pan?

Would you be able to run them through a commlink implant at least?

The point is to get wireless bonuses without being wireless enabled as long as you don't need any outside information to get it... meaning Reaction Enhancers/Wired Reflexes, lots of Actions become 1 step faster, full implanted Biomoniter information but no connection to your Medical Provider, things like that. An implanted Commlink will grant you access to gear interactions just like a wireless enabled Datajack would.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-19-15/1933:02> »
Using the body’s internal neural network as “wires,” the
internal router allows the user’s cybernetics to communicate
with one another as if they were wirelessly
connected and, if expanded via a datajack or similar
broadcast-enabled piece of cyberware, with the rest of
the user’s gear.

So I guess if it doesnt need matrix access you can synch your gear to it

Bulshock

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <07-19-15/2027:06> »
From my understanding of it, if it doesn't need to download or interact with anything in the Matrix itself (i.e. only needs things that are part of your PAN or cybernetics), then with a datajack (or implanted commlink/deck/Control Rig) you can get the wireless bonuses of your gear that's part of your PAN.  Personally I figure it means that significant amounts of your gear for your PAN is going to become sensors so that you don't need the Matrix to figure out windspeeds (for a smartgun for example).  I'm really interested in finding out how this would function with a PI-Tac.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-20-15/0000:10> »
So if its a thing that has a wireless bonus that makes no flippen sense why its there, Say for example a modular arm connector, you could just have this internal router and get the wireless bonus even when its not broadcasting through the matrix?

Or would you need a Datajack/Commlink to be the wireless access point?

The reason I'm confused, Is I still don't see how forcing someone to hack your implanted commlink is that much different than forcing them to hack the implanted com-link stats for the wireless thing that is on your pan. I've got a feeling that the Internal router is one of those Gotta have or Its absolutely garbage items that any cybersam would/wouldn't want to have. Only reason I see sams not taking it if its really really good is cause its a 0.7 essence item.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <07-20-15/0027:48> »
So if its a thing that has a wireless bonus that makes no flippen sense why its there, Say for example a modular arm connector, you could just have this internal router and get the wireless bonus even when its not broadcasting through the matrix?

Or would you need a Datajack/Commlink to be the wireless access point?

The reason I'm confused, Is I still don't see how forcing someone to hack your implanted commlink is that much different than forcing them to hack the implanted com-link stats for the wireless thing that is on your pan. I've got a feeling that the Internal router is one of those Gotta have or Its absolutely garbage items that any cybersam would/wouldn't want to have. Only reason I see sams not taking it if its really really good is cause its a 0.7 essence item.

CAN NOT HACK THINGS THAT ARE GETTING A WIRELESS BONUS! So your Wired Reflexes/Reaction Enhancers are safe, you can have your Biomoniter tell you exact status to your PAN, you can move a much of Actions down 1 level (Complex to Simple or Simple to Free), lots of things. It's definitely kinda niche augmentation but those that use it can get a lot of benefits from it... others will get little to no benefit from it.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-20-15/0241:27> »
1) You can run your internal augmentations wireless off and still get wireless bonus.
- example: reaction enhancers and wired reflexes can give you more than 4 reaction without being wireless on (without an internal router you would have your reaction enhancers and wired reflexes to communicate directly with each other via wireless... leaving both your reaction enhancers and wired reflexes open for hacking)

2) If you want your (now wireless off) augmentation to still talk with a wireless enabled external device then you need a wireless enabled datajack (or an internal commlink or cyberdeck).
- example: smartgun system now give you wireless bonuses without your smartlink being wireless on (since you have an internal router your eyes (with your smartlink installment) can now communicate with your external wireless smartgun device via your datajack and your internal router - without an internal router you would have your eyes and your gun to communicate directly with each other via wireless... leaving your eyes open for hacking).
« Last Edit: <07-20-15/0246:48> by Xenon »

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-20-15/0244:46> »
Ah, I see. So its pretty much a must have Item, if you can fit its massive essence cost.