NEWS

Upgrading Sensors

• 8 Replies

Unadept

• Newb
« on: <07-21-12/0915:37> »
A drone's Sensor rating is vital to a Jumped-In rigger's attack, as well as all Perception tasks.  I would very much like to upgrade the Sensor ratings of my character's drones, but I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how.

Each drone has a Sensor rating off the shelf: Steel Lynx, for example, has 3.  It also has a Sensor Capacity rating of 8, as a Large Drone (pg. 334 SR4A), so I can add other Sensors, but I don't see how this improves the Sensor Rating.  There is, of course, the Improve Sensor Rating modification, but that simply makes the Sensor Capacity as if for a Drone one size larger; which doesn't improve the Sensor Rating.

pg. 105, Arsenal, states under Vehicle Sensors, "If a character improves the ratings of all of the individual components in a sensor package, the overall Sensor rating of the vehicle should also be improved accordingly."  Can I simply upgrade the camera in the drone to get a boost to Sensor?  Does that take up any additional Capacity?

I find this intensely confusing, any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #1 on: <07-21-12/0921:47> »
Okay, first step is to figure out what the Drone comes with, stock. While some drones may mention certain sensors by name, mostly it's going to be guesswork and common-sense in coordination with your GM.

Once you have a list, figure that any individual sensors with a Rating are equal to the drone's Sensor Attribute. From there, figure out what you want to tear out and replace.

For example, in addition to any stuff stuck on the mounted weapon, I'd think a Large Drone would have the following:

Radar (5)
Laser Range Finder (1)
Camera - Rating 3 (1)
Microphone - Rating 3 (1)

Swap the Camera and Microphone for ones with Rating 6, and the drone gets Sensor 6.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Unadept

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-21-12/1036:49> »
That sounds about right, but is So Painfully Circuitous.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-12/1109:44> »
Yep, the drone sensor rules are super terrible.

The other way to do it is to just rip out all the sensors and put in new ones.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #4 on: <07-21-12/2312:51> »
Yep, the drone sensor rules are super terrible.

The other way to do it is to just rip out all the sensors and put in new ones.

Much easier to just do this^.
A lot more expensive but MUCH easier on paperwork. It's the method I use for my rigger.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-22-12/0144:05> »
Okay, first step is to figure out what the Drone comes with, stock. While some drones may mention certain sensors by name, mostly it's going to be guesswork and common-sense in coordination with your GM.

Once you have a list, figure that any individual sensors with a Rating are equal to the drone's Sensor Attribute. From there, figure out what you want to tear out and replace.

For example, in addition to any stuff stuck on the mounted weapon, I'd think a Large Drone would have the following:

Radar (5)
Laser Range Finder (1)
Camera - Rating 3 (1)

Swap the Camera and Microphone for ones with Rating 6, and the drone gets Sensor 6.

How about swapping the Radar for Ultrawideband Radar?
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-22-12/0254:30> »

Radar (5)
Laser Range Finder (1)
Camera - Rating 3 (1)

How about swapping the Radar for Ultrawideband Radar?

Problem is, UWBR only goes to Rating 4, which would make it 6 + 6 + 4 = 16 / 3 = 5.3333. Since it doesn't specify how to round, that would round normally, down to 5.

Of course, you could add in a Rating 6 Non-Linear Junction Detector into one of the 3 Capacity you just freed up, which would make it 5.5 so it rounds up to 6.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-22-12/1115:23> »
Problem is, UWBR only goes to Rating 4, which would make it 6 + 6 + 4 = 16 / 3 = 5.3333. Since it doesn't specify how to round, that would round normally, down to 5.

Of course, you could add in a Rating 6 Non-Linear Junction Detector into one of the 3 Capacity you just freed up, which would make it 5.5 so it rounds up to 6.
The Arsenal Errata tells you to always round up.  Then again, they didn't bother to include the errata in the reprint so take that what you will.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-23-12/0217:25> »

The Arsenal Errata tells you to always round up.  Then again, they didn't bother to include the errata in the reprint so take that what you will.

Given the other mistakes made, I'll take that as editorial error.

So, yeah, UWBR would be a perfect addition, and free up 3 Capacity. Having a bomb- and bug-detector in your drone can't hurt, though. ;)
― Albert Einstein

― Me