NEWS

6E Ork Phys Adept

• 13 Replies

dougansf

• Newb
« on: <08-06-20/2112:07> »
Here's my latest character, Blitz, a PhysAdept martial artist.
One goal is to make the most out of the martial arts from Firing Squad.
This is my first dip into combat specialits, much less melee, so comments most welcome. I know I don't want to cyber him up.

Note: GM allowed 1 initiation at character creation.

Blitz

Priorities:
Attributes A, Metatype B, Skills C, Magic D, Resources E

Metatype:
Ork

Attributes:
Body 7
Agility 6
Reaction 5 (8)
Strength 4
Willpower 5
Logic 1
Intuition 5
Charisma 3
Edge 3
Magic 6

Derived Attributes:
Essence 6
Initiative 13+4d6
Defense Rating: 15
Defense Roll: 14
Physical Damage Track: 14
Stun Damage Track: 12

Skills:
Athletics 5 (Throwing)
Close Combat 6 (7) (Unarmed)
Perception 5 (Visual)
Stealth 4 (Sneaking)

Martial Arts:
     Styles:
Carromeleg - Mobility, Striking, Weapon
Lone Star Tactical - Grappling, Ranged, Striking

Techniques:
Bending of the Reed (Melee)
Multiple Opponent Combat

Know/Lang:
English - Native
Know: Vegas Fight Clubs

Qualities:
Low Light Vision
Mentor Spirit: Shark
Built Tough 2
Indomitable
Honorbound (Pirate Code)
Impaired (Logic) 2
In Debt

Initiation:
Grade 1 - Power Point

Adept Powers: (7 PP)
Attribute Boost (Body) 1
Attribute Boost (Agility) 1
Combat Sense 1
Critical Strike 1
Danger Sense
Enhanced Perception
Improved Combat Ability (Close Combat) 1
Improved Reflexes 3
Killing Hands (Shark)

Contacts:
Talismonger 3/3
Fixer 3/3
Sensei 3/3

Lifestyle
Fake SIN R3
Fake License R3 (Adept)
Fake License R3 (Concealed Carry)
1 month Squatter
1 month DocWagon Basic

Gear:
Antidote patch
Contacts, R3
  • Flare compensation
  • Thermographic vision
  • Vision magnification
Cram x2
Credstick (Silver)
Earbuds, R3
  • Audio enhancement
  • Select sound filter, Rating 2
Erika Elite (Toolbox, Signal Scrubber)
First Aid kit
Flashlight
Gas mask
Gecko tape gloves
Medkit, R3
Medkit supplies x1
Micro-transceiver
Plasteel restraints
Stim patch, R6 x2
Trauma patch
Trodes

Starting Nuyen: 485¥

Armor
Armor Jacket
  • Chemical Protection 2
  • Cold Resistance 2
  • Electricity Resistance 2
  • Fire Resistance 2
  • Eletrochromic Feature
Helmet
  • Vision Enhancement
SecureTech Invisi-Shield Armor

Weapons:
Unarmed Strike [15 Dice, DV 3 S/P, 12/–/–/–/–]
Katana [14 dice, DV  5P, 13/–/–/–/–]
  • Dikote
  • Personalized Grip
Throwing Stars [14 dice, DV 2P, 10/12/8/-/-]

« Last Edit: <08-07-20/0031:00> by dougansf »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-06-20/2145:26> »
What's the rating for Stealth?

Given your Initiative, why are you bothering with Cram?

How did you spend your karma?

I personally think that Metatype C is the sweet spot, as getting +2 adjustment points from Metatype B isn't enough to justify the higher priority cost. I would consider going Skills B and Metatype C. Then, you can buy your Edge back up to 3 with 25 karma. Unless you're picking up four rating 1 skills, four (4) skill points is going to be worth more than 25 karma.

I'll need to revisit Firing Squad to form an opinion on the martial arts selection.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-07-20/0052:38> »
What's the rating for Stealth?

Stealth is 4, thanks for catching that. I've fixed it now.

Given your Initiative, why are you bothering with Cram?

It gets him to that 5d6 and 5th Minor Action. Considering his reliance on Attribute Boost (Major Action) that could prove vital. It was also a way to let me not take Improved Reflexes 4 at chargen.

How did you spend your karma?

20 to buy 4 Skill specs
5 Karma with In Debt gave me 25K nuyen to burn.
11 on Initiation
14 on Marital Arts
Qualities broke even.

I personally think that Metatype C is the sweet spot, as getting +2 adjustment points from Metatype B isn't enough to justify the higher priority cost. I would consider going Skills B and Metatype C. Then, you can buy your Edge back up to 3 with 25 karma. Unless you're picking up four rating 1 skills, four (4) skill points is going to be worth more than 25 karma.

Good point, thanks. Heck, just raising Stealth to 5 is 25 karma saved.
I used the Adjustment points to up MAG and BOD. I usually try to start with 4 Edge, because you never know if you're going to get more.

I'll need to revisit Firing Squad to form an opinion on the martial arts selection.

The big benefit here is that I bought two Styles that allow me to purchase all the Techniques. The two free techniques are good too.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-07-20/1004:02> »
I would prioritize Iron Limbs and Kick to increase your unarmed DV.  Or go with Precise Strikes to increase your Katana DV.  You're a combat character without much of a secondary to offer, you should be able to drop a Mook with each Major Action.

I'd also think hard about two Attribute Boost powers.  You're giving up attack actions to activate those powers, and taking Drain. 

Improved Ability (any combat skill) is a mechanical trap, don't take it.  It costs 1 PP to increase 1 skill by one dice, or you could get Improved Agility for 1 PP.

For 7 PP I'd go with Improved Reflexes 2, Improved Agility 3, Critical Strike 2, Killing Hands (Shark).  If you really want some of the Utility powers pick them up with Foci.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-07-20/1047:09> »
I would prioritize Iron Limbs and Kick to increase your unarmed DV.  Or go with Precise Strikes to increase your Katana DV.  You're a combat character without much of a secondary to offer, you should be able to drop a Mook with each Major Action.

Yup, those are my first two picks for advancement.

I'd also think hard about two Attribute Boost powers.  You're giving up attack actions to activate those powers, and taking Drain.

Admittedly, it's only 1 drain for each, no matter how many hits he gets. 12 dice to resist 1 strain feels pretty safe.
The action economy is a big concern though, which is why I prioritized getting 2 Major actions.

Improved Ability (any combat skill) is a mechanical trap, don't take it.  It costs 1 PP to increase 1 skill by one dice, or you could get Improved Agility for 1 PP.

Good point. I'll save Combat Skill for after the Attributes are taken care of.

For 7 PP I'd go with Improved Reflexes 2, Improved Agility 3, Critical Strike 2, Killing Hands (Shark).  If you really want some of the Utility powers pick them up with Foci.

I'm torn on the use of Qi Foci.
You can only have up to your MAG (6) in foci bound to you at one time, but a max rating of 5*MAG in total Force (30).
Qi Foci only provide 1 power each, and they're pretty low Force (1PP=F4).
The 3 utility Powers he has currently would take up 3 Foci, but only 6 Force, and only one of those is ranked.

I figure it's best to save Foci for Ranked powers. Especially since the GM allows upgrading of gear over time.

And, of course, you never want Danger Sense and Combat Sense to get turned off.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-07-20/1100:00> »

It's not totally bad... Improved Ability stacks when you're already at +4 Agility.  More +Agility won't...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-07-20/1103:50> »
Why not use Qi Foci to stack Critical Strike?

Given that Critical Strike infinitely ranks, Could get multiple Critical Foci and just keep ramping up that DV bonus.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-07-20/1114:56> »
Why not use Qi Foci to stack Critical Strike?

Given that Critical Strike infinitely ranks, Could get multiple Critical Foci and just keep ramping up that DV bonus.

That's the plan. Same with Combat Sense, Mystic Armor, Rapid Healing.
I wanted to have one at start to get his DV up so he can live long enough to afford them.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-07-20/1217:11> »
You're a combat character without much of a secondary to offer, you should be able to drop a Mook with each Major Action.

I'm curious what a good secondary role might be.
Currently Look out and Stealth are high, but he's ill prepared for being a B&E secondary.

With the suggestion to bump up Skills, I'm thinking Influence for intimidation, or Outdoors.
Piloting would be a very long term investment to afford vehicles.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-07-20/1228:34> »

It's not totally bad... Improved Ability stacks when you're already at +4 Agility.  More +Agility won't...

1 PP for +1 Agility vs 1 PP for +1 to a single Agility based Skill is the definition of a Mechanical Trap option.  Yes, if you've already got +4 Agility you can't get more Agility.  Critical Strike is the superior 1 PP option to Improved Ability for a melee combat skill if you're already at the +4 Agility cap. 

Weapon Foci are the better way to get to the +4 skill cap for weapon users. 

Specialization, and Expertise should also come before Improved Ability (Combat Skill).  As would some of the Martial Arts options depending on exactly what the character focus is.

So, presumably you're looking at an Unarmed Dice pool around 19 Dice (give or take) and several levels of Critical Strike before Improved Ability starts to become a mechanically attractive choice.  And by then you're punching out Armored Cars, so I'd think there would be some kind of Utility power that would be more useful.  YMMV.

For Firearms or Exotic Weapon users that wouldn't be picking up Critical Strike, Improved Ability is a so/so option after you've gotten + 4 Agility.  But Smartgun link, Specialization, Expertise, and if 'ware is an option, Reflex Recorder, should come first.

Now Improved Ability (Athletics) at .5 PP each is a good (not great) option.  On Archery or Thrown Weapon builds it's certainly something you'll want to grab 2 or 3 ranks in eventually. 

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-07-20/1232:29> »
You're a combat character without much of a secondary to offer, you should be able to drop a Mook with each Major Action.

I'm curious what a good secondary role might be.
Currently Look out and Stealth are high, but he's ill prepared for being a B&E secondary.

With the suggestion to bump up Skills, I'm thinking Influence for intimidation, or Outdoors.
Piloting would be a very long term investment to afford vehicles.

Engineering for Lockpicking the old fashioned locks.  Stealth for Sneaking, Palming, and general Skulduggery.  Athletics and Adept Powers for getting places you aren't wanted.  Perception to make use of that Intuition stat.
 Ranks in Pilot if the team doesn't have a dedicated Rigger so you can be the occasional get away driver.  Outdoors for Tracking (more Intuition).

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <08-07-20/1539:30> »

1 PP for +1 Agility vs 1 PP for +1 to a single Agility based Skill is the definition of a Mechanical Trap option.  Yes, if you've already got +4 Agility you can't get more Agility.  Critical Strike is the superior 1 PP option to Improved Ability for a melee combat skill if you're already at the +4 Agility cap. 

Weapon Foci are the better way to get to the +4 skill cap for weapon users.

Since one goal is to specialize in unarmed combat, weapon foci is less appealing.
Even the "weapons" that use Unarmed (Knucks) dramatically change the attack stats.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-07-20/1555:05> »
Even the "weapons" that use Unarmed (Knucks) dramatically change the attack stats.

Remember that STR now (post errata) adds to close combat weapons' AR, so it shouldn't really be the case anymore that you get worse by picking up a weapon.  Since critical strike works on all close combat DVs in this edition, your DV and AR should be going up from your base unarmed values every time you use a weapon.  It'd be a corner case for that to not happen...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <08-07-20/1620:08> »
Remember that STR now (post errata) adds to close combat weapons' AR, so it shouldn't really be the case anymore that you get worse by picking up a weapon.  Since critical strike works on all close combat DVs in this edition, your DV and AR should be going up from your base unarmed values every time you use a weapon.  It'd be a corner case for that to not happen...

Thanks for the reminder. Though I just scoured the book, and I don't see an actual rule for that, just a mention of it in an example.

In this case, the weapon would have to provide a AR of 8 or better to not be lower than my REA for Unarmed. Even so, dropping 2 points of AR is worth +1 DV, 6 is not.