NEWS

Forbidden Arcana Errata

• 74 Replies

忍

« Reply #15 on: <05-04-17/2038:01> »
Why is Evil Eye a Combat Spell? It does no damage (nor lists a damage type as all others do).

Also When does Embolism's Slowed effect end?
« Last Edit: <05-05-17/0210:53> by 忍 »

SlashXVI

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <05-05-17/0218:14> »
Copied from the reddit thread, with some small additions: 

Here is what I have found so far (aside from number chrunching stuff):
  • The Spectral Warden mastery (p.40) does not specify how the summoning of spirits works. Since the active use of summoning is forfit, the usual way of summoning->binding does not work anymore. The quality describes that spirits are summoned during the binding ritual, which makes me assume that the binding skill is used for the whole task, but whether this makes the whole process just one test binding+magic[Force] vs. Forcex2 with net hits=services or if there is an additional test binding+magic[Force] vs. Force (or another equivalent to normal summoning) before, is not made clear.
  • The durable Preperations mastery (p.36) seems to to the same thing that the practiced alchemy mastery does (increase the duration before the potency deteriorates), but at a lesser rate and without the boosting additional effect for the same Karma-cost and the same requirements.
  • The table on page 47 shows mystic adepts as beeing able to astrally perceive without need for the Astral Perception power (the inability to use enhancements in that same table seems to be deliberate)
  • There are two entries labeled "Ma" instead of "Man" in the table on page 48 in the Shaman's column
  • The growth spell (p.49) might profit from a clearer formulation. Does the "for every three net hits (minimum 1)" part mean that this spell creates one bonus point for each three net hits, but at least one if the spell works at all (so +1 for 1,2,3,4,5 hits; +2 for 6,7,8; +3 for 9,10,11 ...) or that there is an additional point rewarded for every three net hits after the first (so +1 for 1,2,3 hits; +2 for 4,5,6; +3 for 7,8,9). The way it is written the first option is probably correct, but that seems to be a rather weird scaling with net hits. Also the spell refers to "Reflex" instead of "Reaction".
  • The multiply food spell (p.50) does have the essence keyword, even though most food items will probably not have any essence (and I guess the spell would not multiply metahumans when cast by a Vampire/Ghoul).
  • The description of the Necro Summoning Ritual (p.52) reads as if a single ritual allows for the summoning of all the different spirit types, even though the tradition's description (p.84) allows to learn a number of different summoning rituals implying that each type would be a different ritual. On this case the ritual also seems to lack requirements: Does a magician have to follow the necro tradition in order to learn that ritual? Does the magician have to be able to summon those spirits in order to perform the ritual?
  • The Druidic Tradition is listed in the box on page 65 as resisting drain with WIL+CHA, which is different from Street Grimoire p. 45 (WIL+INT)
  • The Norse Tradition is listed in the box on page 68 as resisting drain with WIL+CHA, which is different from Shadow Spells p.5 (WIL+LOG)
  • The Pariah tradition (p.86) refers to the "oposition"-metamagic for its second grade initiation bonus. This metamagic though does not exist.
  • The alternate version of the spider mentor spirit (p.100) provides "2 free levels of spirit claw" for adepts even though spirit claw does not have levels to take.
  • The Harmonious Defense metamagic (p.46) mentiones that the adept automatically begins astrally percieving on activation. Does this mean the adept has to be able to astrally perceive in order to make use of thise metamagic (in which case it should list this as a requirement) or does the metamagic also grant that ability?
  • Cristalline Reflexes(p.134) does not list the Crystal Spine as a prerequisite

SlashXVI

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <05-05-17/0227:01> »
Why is Evil Eye a Combat Spell? It does no damage (nor lists a damage type as all others do).

In addition to that, it just seems like worse version of the "Bugs" spell. It has the same amount of Drain, but only reduces Initiative by one per net hit instead of two. Granted it does not give a sustaining penalty (though you could in theory drop the bugs spell rather quickly to not incur one) and it's resistance pool is lower (WIL for the direct Combat spell vs. WIL+LOG for the illusion), but that does not seem like it would be a fair tradeoff for having to achiev twice as many hits.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-05-17/1225:06> »
Just noticed a pretty confusing new rule regarding reagents p. 188

"Below is a list of additional effects that reagents may be used for beyond those listed in SR5 and Street Grimoire. The total amount of bonus effects may not exceed the user’s Magic rating."

Alright, but looking at Refined and Radical Reagents there suddenly is a multitude of boni, applying at the same time.

Just using Refined Reagents gives you reduced Drain 2 for Sorcery skills, +5 limit for all magic tests.
For a typical magic 6 mage that means he already is above the limit with one dram.

So I'd assume it is meant total boni per category or even maximum amount of drams equal your magic
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Sachael

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <05-06-17/0517:19> »
Question about the Pariah tradition. They are listed as not having any drain stats. How do they resist the drain from Banishing, Disenchanting and Dispelling?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-06-17/0807:49> »
Obviously through sheer willpower  :o
 ;)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-06-17/1028:15> »
So let me get in on the fun:
  • The Null Wizard, p.43, confuses me a little.
    It's said to gain a "Spell Resistance" Quality, but there is none. There is a "Magic Resistance" quality, but that one has ratings, which aren't specified for the Null Wizard, and is incompatible with being awakened.
    There's also an Adept Power "Spell Resistance", which is, obviously, a power, and this no quality. It also has ratings.
  • "Seer" says it gains Sensing for free, referencing Street Grimoire p. 158, but it's 155, in my version at least.
  • I'd like to inquire on the combination of "Elemental Master" with Hard Target's "Elemental Focus"; I assume it is not meant to halve Drain? Kind of sad it's only classic "natural" elements, I'd have loved to create a radiation mage (there's nothing unnatural about cosmic background radiation!)
  • What happens when a Tradition requires picking a Metamagic that the specific type of awakened can't normally pick? I'd like, f.Ex., to make a Pariah Adept that makes his/her living hunting mages, yet shielding is a difficult metamagic to pick. Harmonious Defense would seem to make more sense.

« Last Edit: <05-06-17/1125:36> by UnLimiTeD »
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

SlashXVI

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <05-06-17/1340:38> »
I'd like to inquire on the combination of "Elemental Master" with Hard Target's "Elemental Focus"; I assume it is not meant to halve Drain? Kind of sad it's only classic "natural" elements, I'd have loved to create a radiation mage (there's nothing unnatural about cosmic background radiation!)

that one popped into my head aswell and even though Elemental Master reads like it would halve the drain damage from Elemental Focus that would be above busted, esspecially since the damage is halved before resistance. One could make a case that it should be able to prevent secondary effects from Elemental Focus though. The way those "natural elements" are defined is also not entirely clear. Does lightning fall into the air category? Acid into the earth category? Do Ice spells count for the water element? What about cold spells, that do not necessarily involve water? Frigid from shadow spells reduces the air temperature around your target, so is it an air elemental spell? Things get even weirder if we include manipulation spells: is mist a water type spell or an air type one (probably water, but it is transported by air and could also be called into existance by manipulating the air)? 
Seems to me like taking that mastery at all will require a rather indepth talk with your GM. 
Oh and on the part about natural elements and radiation: I will accept that radiation is naturally occuring, but comparing the CMB (cosmic microwave background) with the kind of radiation levels that would be used in a radiation spell is like comparing the temperature of a cold winter morning to the core of the sun. At least use another example (UV-radiation could work, it's closer in the spectrum and already slightly harmful). On the other hand: MAGIC! But if you find a GM that allows your radiation mage, you may be able to talk him into allowing that quality for radiation aswell.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #23 on: <05-06-17/1427:39> »
Not to mention indirect combat spells like fireball are already visible tangible effects, so you couldn't even hide that to begin with.  So a free -1 drain code for combat mages is a massive boon to an already good quality.
That isn't entirely accurate.
Everyone can see the fireball detonate.  But they didn't necessarily see that it was YOU that cast it.
Now it will be pretty obvious who the caster is.

And while Indirect Combat spells are often cast at high force.
Many detection/illusion/healing spells are not, and this will penalize any sort of subtle use of those.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <05-06-17/1528:48> »
That isn't entirely accurate.
Everyone can see the fireball detonate.  But they didn't necessarily see that it was YOU that cast it.
Now it will be pretty obvious who the caster is.
Well, the fire originates from your body, so if anyone was looking your way when you cast, they can probably connect the dots.
Indirect spells don't just explode at the target.
But true, in a lot of cases it is an actual disadvantage. Just not necessarily this time.
@Slash: Certainly interesting questions. More importantly: Is Sunlight radiation? There's an anti-infected spell using that. For "The Laser-Mage". Though that's really not Errata anymore. ^^

For some actual (possible) Errata:
"Spectral Warden" has [Hermetic] listed as an associated tradition, which for fluff works just fine, I suppose, but the previously listed rules said that a related tradition has it's requirements reduced by 2, and it has no requirements I can make out.

Edit: Does Berserker Temper have any advantages? So far, it looks like a free negative quality that even suppresses the most likely power to go with it.
Or is the mention of masks supposed to be it's benefit? Get a mentors mask only when going berserk?

Edit2: What kind of damage is "Earth" anyways?
« Last Edit: <05-07-17/1453:47> by UnLimiTeD »
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Neojudas

• Newb
  • 30 Years and Counting
« Reply #25 on: <05-08-17/2340:57> »
The following is on page 180 under Airwave Spirits;
Assessing, Astral Combat, Exotic Ranged Weapon, Imitation, Perception, Running, Unarmed Combat
Powers Accident, Astral Form,
my question, what is Imitation?  Presume Impersonation but want to be certain.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
NeoJudas (J. Keith Henry, "K" to some....)
Penumbra Games | Freelancer
"I have active characters that are older than you are..."

&#24525;

« Reply #26 on: <05-09-17/0037:21> »
With a quick check, it doesn't seem to be a hold-over from 4th. Likely a mistype.

Sir_Prometheus

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <05-10-17/1006:08> »

Oh and on the part about natural elements and radiation: I will accept that radiation is naturally occuring, but comparing the CMB (cosmic microwave background) with the kind of radiation levels that would be used in a radiation spell is like comparing the temperature of a cold winter morning to the core of the sun. At least use another example (UV-radiation could work, it's closer in the spectrum and already slightly harmful). On the other hand: MAGIC! But if you find a GM that allows your radiation mage, you may be able to talk him into allowing that quality for radiation aswell.

Pretty sure he was referring to "cosmic rays" which is very different than the CMB.  Also very energetic.  It's the biggest component of radiation in (most of our) our daily lives, and it's why you get much more when you're flying, there's less atmosphere shielding you from it. 

SlashXVI

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <05-11-17/0837:27> »
For the Necro Spirits on page 52/53, both the caracass and the corpse spirit lack the exotic ranged weapon skill in their stat boxes, even though they are able to get the noxious breath power as an optional one.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-11-17/0850:22> »
For the Necro Spirits on page 52/53, both the caracass and the corpse spirit lack the exotic ranged weapon skill in their stat boxes, even though they are able to get the noxious breath power as an optional one.

Not the first time for that. Spirits of Beasts in the Core Rulebook are in the same boat. They get Noxious Breath, but don't have the Exotic Ranged Weapon skill.

It might actually be an error in the Noxious Breath power, or a misunderstanding on the authors' part. Back in 4th edition, Noxious Breath didn't require an attack roll, but I guess they decided that it should some time during the transition to 5th edition.

I think it would be interesting if it was handled in a way similar to a natural grenade. Make it so it only takes 3 hits to center it, and it hits a small area and dissipates quickly. That way, not getting a skill to use it better isn't as big of a deal. They can still get lucky and have it not deviate too much (still hit their target), it doesn't take a huge dice pool to get up to 3 hits.