NEWS

Lifestyle Costs? Houserules needed?

• 2 Replies

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« on: <10-09-10/0625:12> »
Usually I like the abstract Lifestyle costs, but I have two major problems with them. Both are from the RC created.

1. Optional Rules for Infected Lifestyle (see RC, Black Box on p. 78 )
The problem here is that the 30% are to abstract. i.e. two ghouls 1 is an gnome, the other is a giant. The background said that a ghoul needs 1% of its own weight in metahuman flesh per week. Now look at my to guys, the gnome-ghoul (37 kg) = 37g p/w and the ghoul-giant (467 kg) = 4,67 kg p/w. Both living in the same lifestyle and pay the same extra for fresh metahuman flesh (+30%). Why?
And how can we fix it?

2. The Lifestyle costs of AI (see RC, p. 90)
I can't get it! Why cost their Lifestyle that much? First of all they are AI so they, doesn't need food (only a bit electricity), they don't need space or sleep, shelter a.s.o. the only thing they need is a running home node. Why does it cost as much as a whole Lifestyle to run a home node? Any node could be a home node, and that's the second part bothers me: What if the AI doesn't pay up? What happens with their home node? Or what if the AI is jumping every couple of weeks to a new home node? Or it hijacks an prototype (Rating 7+) for a week, how does that count?

Hope you see what I mean.

Please tell me how do you explain this and how would you fix it?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #1 on: <10-09-10/1053:13> »
1) Ghouls are problems all around.  Don't look at their rules too close or you will catch HMHVV-III.  Seriously, that's how easy it is to catch.  In fact, don't even think about ghouls or you'll catch their sickness and need to be shot on sight with all the rest of the infected.  Or manabolted from the astral, since dual-natured = helpless.

2) AIs destroy the systems they inhabit with their massive overclocking weirdness.  What happens to an AI who doesn't pay up his rent for the month?  Same as for everyone else, there is an "angry landlord" roll that, if it fails, results in the inhabitant's lifestyle being reduced by one, until they land on the street.  Envision this as the system crapping out under the strain of hosting a quasi-mystical matrix entity.
« Last Edit: <10-09-10/1058:00> by Kontact »

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-10-10/0330:17> »
The problem isn't that a giant ghoul  is paying the same for lifestyle as a gnome ghoul.  It is that a giant is paying the same for lifestyle as a gnome, period.  In previous editions, trolls needed to pay (IIRC) 20% more for lifestyle costs.  Maybe you could bring that rule back (which would also raise the cost for a troll to have an infected lifestyle).

The lifestyle costs for an AI's home node represent the fact that an AI needs more than mere storage, but lots and lots of computing power.  If you find the cost excessive, you might want to look into allowing AI's to use the rules for spoofing lifestyles.