NEWS

Street Legends Review

• 209 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #90 on: <08-13-11/1258:01> »
Everyone is someone's favorite character.
Everybody but Aquaman. Aquaman can talk to fish.

Otherwise, when freelancers(note the plural here) come out and SAY that they don't care about a character and then SAY that they killed them off because to them it SEEMED like everybody else did not either . .
Then that is just not right.
Aina, even if NOBODY had cared about her, was STILL one of the top 5 powerplayers in shadowrun . .
She was an immortal elf and if she was not as powerfull than Har'lea Quinn, she technically was MORE powerfull than him, because SHE had her own AA or tripple A MegaCorp to commandeer after The Nadja vanished . .
And because she, herself, could influence Caimbeul to do what she wanted too . . now FROSTY is the ONLY FRAGGING PERSON who has SOMEWHAT of an influence on him.
And as has been said, he is more powerfull than several adult and some great dragons . . And now somebody went and killed his lover/friend/comrade for literally hundreds, if not thousands of years . .
Go find Lofwyrs nest, show it to him. then show a steamroller driving over the eggs. The outcome would not be much different than this.
Those are things to be considered in such circumstances, even if nobody cares about her. Her death has in universe consequences damn it!
If it was not in the fight against the horrors or because of something she got pulled into because of Harlequin, then he will do what he can and what he wants to find who is responsible this and make them suffer for it.

And Harlequin coming out to 'play' is a cue for most PC-level shadowfolks to either hide in a bunker, skip continents, or get on his good side.

Now there's an idea . . .
and i have no problem with this!
A third Harlequin adventure would rock very, very hard!
Many deaths would be facilitated by the power of his rock!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #91 on: <08-13-11/1302:43> »
Yeah, well, if I find out he was in "Hiding" in the 20th century as Neil Young for awhile, I'd be quite upset.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #92 on: <08-13-11/1306:36> »
Everyone is someone's favorite character.
Everybody but Aquaman. Aquaman can talk to fish.

Going slightly off topic here, because, well, it's what I've always done best :)

There was a Marvel vs DC series that led up to Amalgam, in which the two companies counterparts fought.  They had to "Pin" their opponent for 3 seconds or whatever to win the fight.  (SOme kind of cosmic game with the fate of the two universes in the balance, or some such).

ANyway, Namor and Aquaman face off, and Namor is being his usual cocky, arrogant self, talking about how much stronger and better he was than Aquaman, noting that the only thing Aquaman did that Namor couldn't do better was talk to fish.  Then a shadow falls over him, and a Blue Whale leaps out of the water and lands on Namor, pinning him for those three seconds, giving Aquaman the win.  Arthur says something like "Yes, I can talk to fish."

Always stuck with me.  :)

Bull

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #93 on: <08-13-11/1308:33> »
*twitch twitch*
i read amalgam.
i still can't believe aquaman "won" against namor <.<;,
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #94 on: <08-13-11/1319:53> »
Win, then be arrogant.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #95 on: <08-13-11/1346:47> »
Lengthy post alert.

Anyway, no one gave a shit about Aina Dupree until I killed her so, yeah, whatever. Her death was necessary, but hey, it's not like I've written in the past about killing storylines (and characters).

An immortal elf. Harlequin's best friend. Dead.
(She was also the Vice Chair turned Acting Chair of the Draco Foundation)

It's going to be hard making him give a shit about that character, since I don't in any way shape or form give a shit about her. I will endeavor to manage.

Normally when the word 'Mary Sue' comes up I get pissed, because I think it gets overused to a pretty disgusting degree by people with a much-too-broad definition of what it means. But Aina Dupree, if it's the character I'm thinking of, is one of the worst EVER.
That's sad to read.
First of all, there are people who care about Aina. Our group for example. For ones, we have Aina as major NPC in the campaign.
Yes, Aina was a strange cookie in  an already disfunctional family that immortal elves are. But just because you try to avoid your slightly insane uncle whenever you can doesn't mean you don't love him. Especially not in the way 'since no one cares, she dies. Ha-ha!'
Secondly, Harlequin, Aina's close friend, one time lover, comrade-in-arms and one of the few people on earth (save probably the late Dunkelzahn) who took her seriously, wouldn't care about Aina? Wouldn't care about the death of one of the dozen, at most, human beings in the whole world who are on par with him? He may have had his reservations about her, but he loved her.
And I can understand that her death is part of the yet unpublished story (which must be real big as Aina is [should try using 'was'] second only to Harlequin himself in power), but the attitude towards it baffles me. If she is such unwanted child, why just don't leave her out? The death of the character of the scope Aina was is a big deal, it should serve some purpose other than just to get rid of her and make some big waves. This could as well wake other elves up. As far as I know, immortals have never previously lost one of their own.

To stop grumbling, the book itself is good and pretty. I have some issues with art for the last two chapters and Agent, but other than that art is superb.

Let's see. First off, I apologize for my unprofessional and offhand comment. The mindset that anything I say can and will be taken as representative of the opinions of Catalyst or even the freelancer pool is a hard one for me to get into. I had a lot more leeway with what I could say publicly when I was only coming from fan stance. With that said, my comment about Aina Dupree was most likely unfair and certainly irrelevant. I did not kill the character, nor was I asked about her killing before it happened. Nor, importantly, was her killing the irreverent blue note you may have assumed from James' comments.

Without spoiling anything, I believe that the actual manner of the character's dying within the universe's fiction is extremely respectful, certainly much more so than my offhanded comment, which I honestly did not pause to consider the ramifications of. As for the character's death being offhandedly mentioned in a publication other than the one in which she died, that was indeed a goof up, but not my department.

We need harlekin to go on a city killing spree untill he has found the people responsible for her death and throws them all into the horrors waiting arms.

And that Posting is basically EVERYTHING that's wrong with current writing of shadowrun.
In. One. Single. Posting.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, Stahlseele. I've been following your posting for a long time several places, including the Den. Watching you and Frank and the gang discuss everything, I really never wanted to be part of the problem. : (

All I can say, honestly, is that I do my best to read every critique everywhere it's posted, to sort out the fair from the unfair, and to improve upon what I can improve upon.

Not a personal criticism.  However I'm afraid your confidence in Lugh is sadly over-rated.  Have a look on Dumpshock for the Fields of Fire campaign.  it was all very silly (or cinematic if you prefer) and never went very far but all the PC's qualified as 'legendary' (1250 karma, which works out as the original base of 750 plus exactly the 500 needed to be legendary) and I'm pretty sure every single one of them would have given Lugh a run for his money and I'm certain that one or two would have wiped the floor with him.

I agree that it is fine for a character like Rigger X to be poorly optimized but it is not okay for legendary icons like Lugh, Hestaby or Lofwyr.  They can have as much fluffy window dressing as you like but at their core they must be capable of handing the PC's their asses if need be.

I took all of the immediate action within my power to correct the Rigger X stats when the errors with them were pointed out. That thread was then locked by powers beyond my control. I will post my unofficial errata up here soon, unless Jason for some reason wants me not to.

As for Lugh Surehand, I do not understand why it is problematic that if he got in a fight with a team of the world's most legendary shadowrunners in the open, he might lose. Although for the record, I contest it. If you would ever like to have some kind of an exhibition, Surehand vs. six 1250 Karma Shadowrunners, let's do it. Heck, I'd be happy to GM a Shadowrun with the objective of killing him to see how your superteam fares. I think it may be less well than you think. In any case, even if I were wrong, I think it would be fun, right?

The same is true in the 22+ year metaplot we've got here at Shadowrun, and we're aware of it.  So while here just in casual conversation on the internet we might seem flippant or light-hearted about a casual death, please know that we're not.  The book was delayed because writers are taking their time and getting it right.

This, this, this, 1,000 times this. Also please, now and forever understand that as long as I remain a non-employee freelancer, my words should not be taken as representative of the point of view of Catalyst or of any of the other writers. Honestly, this being the internet, sometimes they're not even representative of my own innermost beliefs. Sometimes I'm just saying shit on the internet...and I will have to adjust to the fact that just saying shit on the internet is something I no longer have the freedom to do. : )

Otherwise, when freelancers(note the plural here) come out and SAY that they don't care about a character and then SAY that they killed them off because to them it SEEMED like everybody else did not either . .
Aina, even if NOBODY had cared about her, was STILL one of the top 5 powerplayers in shadowrun . .
She was an immortal elf and if she was not as powerfull than Har'lea Quinn, she technically was MORE powerfull than him, because SHE had her own AA or tripple A MegaCorp to commandeer after The Nadja vanished . .
And because she, herself, could influence Caimbeul to do what she wanted too . . now FROSTY is the ONLY FRAGGING PERSON who has SOMEWHAT of an influence on him.
And as has been said, he is more powerfull than several adult and some great dragons . . And now somebody went and killed his lover/friend/comrade for literally hundreds, if not thousands of years . .
Go find Lofwyrs nest, show it to him. then show a steamroller driving over the eggs. The outcome would not be much different than this.
Those are things to be considered in such circumstances, even if nobody cares about her. Her death has in universe consequences damn it!
If it was not in the fight against the horrors or because of something she got pulled into because of Harlequin, then he will do what he can and what he wants to find who is responsible this and make them suffer for it.

I think you make some excellent points, and I will keep all of this in mind in my future writing.

You don't say...I happen to agree with you on that.

~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #96 on: <08-13-11/1356:20> »
Let's see. First off, I apologize for my unprofessional and offhand comment. The mindset that anything I say can and will be taken as representative of the opinions of Catalyst or even the freelancer pool is a hard one for me to get into. I had a lot more leeway with what I could say publicly when I was only coming from fan stance. With that said, my comment about Aina Dupree was most likely unfair and certainly irrelevant. I did not kill the character, nor was I asked about her killing before it happened. Nor, importantly, was her killing the irreverent blue note you may have assumed from James' comments.

Without spoiling anything, I believe that the actual manner of the character's dying within the universe's fiction is extremely respectful, certainly much more so than my offhanded comment, which I honestly did not pause to consider the ramifications of. As for the character's death being offhandedly mentioned in a publication other than the one in which she died, that was indeed a goof up, but not my department.

We need harlekin to go on a city killing spree untill he has found the people responsible for her death and throws them all into the horrors waiting arms.

And that Posting is basically EVERYTHING that's wrong with current writing of shadowrun.
In. One. Single. Posting.

I'm sorry that you feel that way, Stahlseele. I've been following your posting for a long time several places, including the Den. Watching you and Frank and the gang discuss everything, I really never wanted to be part of the problem. : (

All I can say, honestly, is that I do my best to read every critique everywhere it's posted, to sort out the fair from the unfair, and to improve upon what I can improve upon.

I think you make some excellent points, and I will keep all of this in mind in my future writing.

You don't say...I happen to agree with you on that.
Apology accepted, it was mostly the tone of the posting that set me off . .  sorry for flying off my handle (is that correct? <.<) like that . .
And yes, i forget about the personal opinion/writer stuff difference from time to time . . mea culpa x.x

Smirnov

• Newb
« Reply #97 on: <08-13-11/1407:29> »

None offence taken. And I apologise if my post seemed rude, that was the last thing I wanted. And I probably overreacted a bit - I was taken aback by the tone of the comments about Aina, so much that I even cared to register on forums :)
Glad that we understand each other!

And I really look forward to the book, now even more. Is there any approximate date for  the book?

As for Lugh Surehand, I do not understand why it is problematic that if he got in a fight with a team of the world's most legendary shadowrunners in the open, he might lose. Although for the record, I contest it. If you would ever like to have some kind of an exhibition, Surehand vs. six 1250 Karma Shadowrunners, let's do it. Heck, I'd be happy to GM a Shadowrun with the objective of killing him to see how your superteam fares. I think it may be less well than you think. In any case, even if I were wrong, I think it would be fun, right?
I would love to join that game, given the opportunity.

WARRGARRRBL!!!1!

• Newb
« Reply #98 on: <08-13-11/1639:07> »

My point is that this is the sort of playtest that ought to have been done in advance of publication.

Don't get me wrong, I too would love to play in a game like that again.

Comparing my mage in that game and Lugh on major dicepools is crude but gives an idea of relative power. 

Pool  AbaddonLugh
Spellcasting  38(40)26
Counterspelling  39(41)26(36/36)
Drain 3931
Summon/Bind 26(28)/26(28)26/26

That's enough of a discrepancy to reliably win a one on one contest.  Abaddon's specializations are in Combat spells so he's only got a four dice advantage but at Force 16 that'll get you killed right quick.  Actually with Powerbolt he's got an eight dice advantage.

They are about even in summoning capability but at Force 12, using the cinematic rules, Lugh is taking a much bigger risk of being turned inside out.

Thing is it wouldn't take much to tweak Lugh to make him dominate that contest as Abaddon only has about half of the following.

1.  A decent Power Focus.

2.  A decent Shielding Focus instead of the silly Counterspelling Foci.  Or better yet, as well as the Counterspelling Foci.

3.  A decent Centering Focus.

4.   A decent Ally, for the love of God.

At Force 12 that would be an extra 20 Dice to all of Lugh's pools.

We did do another experiment on DS regarding low-end Fourth World survivors.  It never made it past sample characters that were only semi-complete.  The point was to demonstrate the capabilities for folks that were in Lugh's weight class but not as good as Harlequin or any of the Great Dragons.  The build target was 5000 karma and fairly relaxed build rules but retaining skill/stat caps.

Dice pools there were in the 70-120 range.

That was for Initiates with Grades ranging from 25 to 30.  That's in the same range as Hestaby/Lofwyr so maybe 5000 is a bit high for the sort of characters we were aiming for.  Regardless said characters would have Lofwyr's head mounted on the wall.  I reckon a properly built mortal of about Grade 12 would be a match for Hestaby.  I'd say 2500 karma or thereabouts.

Either that or the two GD's need to be substantially upgraded....

Things in many of the recent publications are sloppy or demonstrate a poor understanding of the rules.  Itztli's Physical Barrier, I'm looking at you...

It makes me cry inside.
« Last Edit: <08-13-11/1641:39> by WARRGARRRBL!!!1! »

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #99 on: <08-13-11/1711:06> »
Warrgarrbl, this is interesting. Let's talk about it via PM. : )

I'll shoot you one in a little bit.
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

Ancient History

• Newb
« Reply #100 on: <08-13-11/1834:55> »
I don't know if this will help or hurt, but I think I can put a bit of perspective on the situation surrounding Aina's death.

From the very beginning of what would become the Artifact storyline, there was written in the assumption that one of the immortal elves would die - in the beginning, it was Harlequin. Later discussion suggested Ehran the Scribe. When Jennifer Harding, Stephen McQuillian and I were writing Harlequin's Back, I slipped in a chance for the player characters to shoot Alachia in the face. For money. So the idea that an IE might pass in the storyline was always there, from the very beginning.

The freelancers argued about it. Some of us gnashed our teeth. Called it bloody stupid, pointed out why it couldn't happen, how disrespectful it was to the character to go out like that - and this, before it was even written. Others shrugged their shoulders. Because like regular fans, freelancers have their own things about the game and the metaplot that they like and don't like. What they like, they write about. What they don't like, or want to change, they may try to change.

The death of a major character is a staple trope - and it's nothing new to Shadowrun. People still talk about Captain Chaos, maybe more after he died in game than they did when he was alive in text. The fact that certain characters appear "unkillable" means nothing. In twenty-odd years of game history, the game has seen the passing, sometimes on-screen, sometimes off-screen, of several great dragons and god-like artificial intelligences. And such deaths are important, and do have great impact on the game world - the death of Dunkelzahn provided material for an entire sourcebook, a bad trilogy of novels, a Tom Dowd short story, and a bunch of adventures, plus dozens of references across many, many books.

I've generally ignored James over the years, but I can tell you that we don't see eye-to-eye on...well, probably anything with regards to Shadowrun. Be that as it may, I respect killing Aina as a valid choice on the part of a freelancer - a choice that was presumably read and given the green light by the lead developer, and whatever other freelancers that might have proofed the draft. The fact that it was revealed in this way is unfortunate, but beyond the control of the freelancers. James' attitude...well, we have our differences of opinion. 'nuff said.

Stahlseele

• Omae
« Reply #101 on: <08-13-11/1855:14> »
Thanks for shedding some more light on this aunty.
As for Alachia? Hell, i'd PAY to see HER killed off . . .
« Last Edit: <08-13-11/1938:09> by Stahlseele »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #102 on: <08-13-11/1935:09> »
Hell, we'd all pay to see an IE killed off.

Not like it happens every day or anything.  :P

EDIT:  Thanks for the heads up, AH.  Sorry things didn't work well with you.  :(  Glad to see you're still around at least!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

WARRGARRRBL!!!1!

• Newb
« Reply #103 on: <08-14-11/0036:25> »

EDIT:  Thanks for the heads up, AH.  Sorry things didn't work well with you.  :(  Glad to see you're still around at least!

Having read the short fiction Bobby writes I'm beginning to suspect Catalyst did the rest of us a favour.  Shot themselves in the foot spectacularly but gave him the chance to really spread his wings and become something he never would have become if he'd remained trapped in their tiny pond.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #104 on: <08-14-11/0105:33> »
I wish him the best in the future, and hope he keeps us updated on what's going on.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11