NEWS

Origins 2014 June 11-15 Columbus Ohio

• 43 Replies

Vertigo916 "Patches"

• Newb
  • Vertigo916 "Patches"
« Reply #30 on: <06-19-14/1503:15> »
I'm just curious.

How many tickets were sold vs events filled in 2013?

How many tickets were sold vs events filled in 2014?

It seemed like you guys added A LOT of tables in 2014 and the overflow was still pretty substantial.

Last question. I know in 2013 no one got turned away, were you able to hold true to that?

Sandra and I were fortunate enough to have tickets for every thing but 1 event and i know almost every table we played at seated 8 players and went pretty smooth.
« Last Edit: <06-19-14/1507:19> by Vertigo916 »
I trust the player, If I don't whats the point?

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #31 on: <06-19-14/1557:34> »
From an e-mail Ray Rigel sent to the agents on Tuesday, some of the stats you're looking for:
Here are our final numbers to share with anyone and everyone (or put on your resume):
- Scheduled events:  77; actually ran:  123; 60% more than scheduled
- Anticipated players (to include LARP):  580; actual players (to include LARP):  831; 43% more than anticipated
- Improvement over Origins 2013 (to include LARP): 34% more players; (without LARP:  31% more players)
- Total players:  831 (without LARP:  813)
*These numbers do not include the Interactive Demo or Quick Play area

I'm not aware of anyone being turned away unless they showed up late or didn't have tickets; Ray, Rob V. or one of the room captains would know. I do know quite a few GMs deliberately hung around in case they were needed to pick up the overflow.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #32 on: <06-19-14/1716:07> »
I thought we capped at 7 players this year?

justkelly

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #33 on: <06-19-14/1723:39> »
Ticket purchases were capped at 7. With the massive amount of extra players, tables were asked if they would allow an eighth player. Every table I was at said yes if asked to include an 8th.
Never ask a woman how old she is...she might tell you and then what would you do.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #34 on: <06-19-14/1727:47> »
None of the tables I was at had more than 7, the GM being the 8th body.

And I would like to apologize for for the... intensity of my Hammer Adept, Viktor. He got some teams into a little trouble. At least things turned out all right.

"You know, this encounter was written with at least three ways you could have talked your way through. None of which involved property destruction."

"Was to be taking too long! Viktor is not being patient man. plus, now Viktor has free bike!"

:)

-k

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <06-20-14/0316:06> »
Never had the chance to play with Viktor. But I did to play with a couple gentlemen that made watching someone else play highly entertaining. When someone is addicted to foci and casting spells, you just wait to see if they fail their addiction tests

Timothy M. Patrick

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <06-20-14/0804:58> »
I don't have the numbers in front of me exactly but here is what I know from my conversations with Ray who will pip in at some point with hard numbers.

As far as I know we held to our no one turned away though it is a bit of a fog so many games, if we did it was strictly because they showed up late.

We did over the course of the weekend end up seating a few tables of 8, when you had just that 1 lone straggler looking for a game as long as the other players at the table where ok with it.
Co-Host of CriticalGlitch a Shadowrun podcast Criticalglitch.com

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #37 on: <06-20-14/0820:01> »
Thanks to everyone for providing much of the information already!

As to 2013:

I scheduled 60 events and expected 402 players.  We ended up running 117 events and had 621 players.

To compare one year further back, 2012 had 53 events and had 292 players.

I made a conservative increase in number of events for 2014, not sure if the huge turnout in 2013 would repeat.  With the increase to 7 tickets per table and 25% more events, it was very conservative.  However, Floating GMs and awesome volunteers made the difference!

I set a hard cap of 7 per table because 8 sometimes gets unwieldy, but as mentioned, we often had 2-3 players left over after filling pick up tables and asked tables for permission to add an 8th player.  I want to thank those tables that agreed as it helped us keep our promise to turn no one away.

Unfortunately, there were some instances where players would show up quite late and we had to ask them to come back or play at the Quick Play area.

Due to the amazing fan response, I will once again increase the number of events at Origins 2015, still with the tickets set at 7 per table.  I will have Floating GMs available if the turnout proves greater than the increase can handle.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #38 on: <06-20-14/1002:10> »
Ray, it sounds like you did a great job with Origins. Thank you for all your hard work and efforts.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Vertigo916 "Patches"

• Newb
  • Vertigo916 "Patches"
« Reply #39 on: <06-20-14/1203:49> »
I have to say this again as ive said it a few times.

I was very impressed with how organized, polite, and knowledgeable the GM's were. There may have been a few inconsistency between tables (I don't think "matrix stuff" was run the same way twice all weekend) but the games flowed they made sure to keep every one involved and entertained.

We will be back for sure next year.

And to be fair.. I still dont understand "Matrix Stuff" 100% my self having never been involved with it prior to rolling up toon.. (Didnt even start with a deck a u didnt need one in 4th lol)
I trust the player, If I don't whats the point?

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #40 on: <06-20-14/1544:09> »
Ray, it sounds like you did a great job with Origins. Thank you for all your hard work and efforts.

Thanks for the praise, but it is really the GMs that deserve all the praise!  Without them, there would be no (or very limited) Shadowrun played at Origins.  They are truly a marvelous team of individuals who work exceptionally hard to provide a fun experience for the players.  I know many of them travel long distances, take valuable vacation time off work, get stuck in rooms of four (sometimes happily), and spend 32 (or more) hours entertaining and managing tables of seven very different personalities over and over.

Having been a Shadowrun GM at conventions for quite some time, I can understand some of the stress and aggravations that come with any convention, so I just try to make their life as easy as possible so they can focus on making sure they and the players have fun.

Thank you, once again, Shadowrun GMs and players for the opportunity to serve you!
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #41 on: <06-20-14/1547:38> »
I have to say this again as ive said it a few times.

I was very impressed with how organized, polite, and knowledgeable the GM's were. There may have been a few inconsistency between tables (I don't think "matrix stuff" was run the same way twice all weekend) but the games flowed they made sure to keep every one involved and entertained.

We will be back for sure next year.

And to be fair.. I still dont understand "Matrix Stuff" 100% my self having never been involved with it prior to rolling up toon.. (Didnt even start with a deck a u didnt need one in 4th lol)
Thanks for the kind words, we definitely appreciate it!

Maybe I need to just install some skilljacks and Shadowrunsofts into each of the GMs to get rid of that darn inconsistency :)

Look forward to seeing y'all next year!
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Wailer

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Live Fast. Die Young.
« Reply #42 on: <06-20-14/1638:45> »
Maybe I need to just install some skilljacks and Shadowrunsofts into each of the GMs to get rid of that darn inconsistency :)

I could accept a pair of 'trodes and a KnowSoft, but you keep those wires away from me, you bastard.  Mine's an Intuition-based tradition fueled by vibe and chaos!

- Wailer

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #43 on: <06-20-14/1810:28> »

I could accept a pair of 'trodes and a KnowSoft, but you keep those wires away from me, you bastard.  Mine's an Intuition-based tradition fueled by vibe and chaos!

- Wailer
Now I know who is getting bad feedback...no matter what the forms might say :)
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team