NEWS

Metaplanar question.

• 29 Replies

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« on: <12-02-17/1615:01> »
Quick question here. The Metaplanes section of Dark Terrors makes it sound like it's possible to physically visit the metaplanes l. Last I'd heard they could only be reached via steal projection, but I've been out of the sixth world for a spell, do i might've missed something. If someone could give me an explanation, I'd appreciate it!

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-02-17/1642:07> »
I'm pretty sure it is possible as I've seen things here and there hinting at it especially materialized Alchera which are Astral Topography that somehow transitions over to the physical world leaving for example a mountain where no mountain was there yesterday. However if there are any actual rules on physical travel for PC's I've not seen them to use the alchera again they specifically state if you are on them when they return to the astral you're (a) disorientated and (b) left behind which can be potentially lethal if you were in the middle of climbing said mountain as you're now falling. So I'd say its either a power long lost or a power not yet discovered but either way not something PC's are meant to be able to do. Just one of those tantalizing its theoretically possible but no one alive is capable of things.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <12-02-17/1648:18> »
Alchera are essentially localized 'pocket planes' that are manifested in the material.

However, there are ways to physically go to the metaplanes. You either need to be one of the few who could do that back in the 4th world (or have been taught by those who were), have a spirit create an astral gateway, or find a rift. Getting physically into the metaplanes is difficult, naturally. Getting where you WANT to go is more so. Getting BACK? That's where the real trouble is.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #3 on: <12-02-17/2335:15> »
@Senko I mean travelling to the metaplanes, not Alchera.

@Mirikon Astral Gateways/Rifts do not physically move you to the metaplanes. They simply allow/force you to astrally project to a specific plane (even if you're mundane.) This is something new. Or a chapter long typo.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-02-17/2356:43> »
There are, as noted, a  few ways, but they're RARE. You have to find a thin enough point in the Astral to cross over or find a spirit that can take you. Ghost Trains are the easiest way if you can ever flag one down, but there are portals in assorted out-of-the-way locations that might allow access.

Expect to hunt a LOT, and figure that any of these that have been found will be well-guarded. By what? Well, that's half the fun. :D

Checkmate

• Newb
  • -]|[-
« Reply #5 on: <12-03-17/0014:32> »
I seem to have misphrased my question. Dark Terrors makes it seem that there is a reliable and readily available method of physically reaching the metaplanes, given that it makes mention of MCT 'strip mining' metaplanes, taking back crystals for use in foci and other things. This isn't a method of travel that's chance, luck or rarity. It's something that corps can seemingly access and use.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-17/0037:34> »
My point was more alchera can move back and forth  from astral to material therefore it is theoretically possible but for characters doing something smilar is going to be much, much harder.

Corps probably can afterall they'd have the resources to take and guard one of those points the others mentioned

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #7 on: <12-03-17/1750:53> »
The wording involving rifts and gateways have always been kind of loose and unclear.  But rai seem to lean towards it being projection and not travel. Seems like I remember something from 4th edition that let you do it but can't recall reference right now. Have to do some digging tonight.  The MCT thing kinda threw me off too.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #8 on: <12-03-17/1813:20> »
Earthdawn astral gateway spell seems to have been able to do it.  Not sure if that counts.  Strip mineing would seem to infer men and heavy equipment moving back and forth easily.  Unless spirits are capable of moving things back and forth when they travel.  Sure MCT wouldn't be against enslaving a large number of spirits to mine a metaplane.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #9 on: <12-03-17/1903:16> »
Away from my books, but as I remember, it was the ability of some great form spirits create a physical gateway for physical travel to the metaplanes. It was covered very briefly in Street Grimoire as I recall.

Not that I would recommend this, not all meta planes can support life...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <12-03-17/1948:19> »
Astral Gateway (Street Grimoire, p.194) lets a spirit open an astral rift, which makes nearby objects dual-natured and enables mundanes to astrally project. An astral rift (Street Grimoire, p.29) enables anyone to astrally project, and provides a direct route to various metaplanes that bypasses the Dweller on the Threshold, but astral travelers still have to project, leaving their bodies behind. Both materialized and displacement alchera (Street Grimoire, p.29-30) normally leave living beings behind on the physical plane when they end.

Travelling physically to the metaplanes happens in fluff text, but I can't recall seeing rules for it anywhere.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-03-17/2000:01> »
How about in a published adventure?  SRM02-18 "A Very Bad Day" has the players going through a displacement alchera above the Hub in Denver.  They are in a Pueblo metaplane, wholly and not astrally, and are even briefly trapped there after it closes on them.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-03-17/2041:28> »
Hmmmm interesting. So it seems it is possibly to physically travel to metaplanes either accidentally or on purpose but there are no rules for players to do it consistently or to target a specific metaplane as their destination. Although that last one also applies somewhat to astral projection.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #13 on: <12-03-17/2125:07> »
There is a way through projection, but it means dealing with the Dweller... An experience that most people want to avoid...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <12-03-17/2327:15> »
Hmmmm interesting. So it seems it is possibly to physically travel to metaplanes either accidentally or on purpose but there are no rules for players to do it consistently or to target a specific metaplane as their destination. Although that last one also applies somewhat to astral projection.
That may just be the point, that the players cannot do it consistently.  At the end of SRM02-18 the players are zapped back to the material, and are in a different building than the one they used to get up into the alchera in the first place.  Pretty sure the writers want to keep teleportation out of the hands of PCs.