NEWS

[5e OOC] Deep in the Shadows of Texas

• 673 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #30 on: <05-07-15/1707:50> »
OK, couple more questions before I'm ready to roll. My apologies in advance if you've already answered them. Shit is weird right now, eh?

1- How long has it been since the last run?
2- What is Dr Ken's situation as of the last time I saw/spoke with him?
3- Who did Bookworm kill? It obviously wasn't Big Daddy, cause he's still alive, right?
4- Did we make an attempt on BD and he escaped or did we decide not to go for him? It seems like the former.
5- BD  was headed for DFW, wasn't he? Ian would have wanted to keep tabs on, more or less, what that guy was up to, out of sheer terror; the way monkeys pay attention to what the tigers are doing, y'know? Is that possible or did dude just drop off the radar after the botched hit?

EDIT: 6- Didn't someone start working on a googlemap with markers on it and things, detailing the areas we'd been and whatnot? You got a link to that, by any chance?

Also, the remaining advance we had left was 4062 nuyen.
a third of that for Error, Bookworm, and Hopeless (God, we were doomed from the start weren't we?) ends up at 1354 each. So that's Hopeless's starting funds! adjusting sheet.

Also also, Hopeless has tried his damndest to make sure no one knows he owns a deck or has been learning how to use it. As of yet, he's never done hotsim on it and he's never done anything illegal with it. It's all been theory. He sits in his apartment, "playing single-player" as it were, all by himself, learning how these strange programs work and what biofeedback is. He figures it will be years before he's good enough to actually hire out as a "decker" on the street. He NEVER talks about it.
« Last Edit: <05-07-15/1714:06> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #31 on: <05-07-15/1913:10> »
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqM1VX2qlc

2. Last you heard Dr. Ken was doing well.  He's on the short list to become the new Chair of the Magical Studies Department.  Considering how he put himself at risk when a team of shadowrunners came gunning for Magical Studies property, and was pistol-whipped for the bad decisions made by a superior there's a lot of sympathy going his way, and he just might get it. 

3. Big Daddy is still alive.  That's a great question, though.  @Jack, who did Bookworm kill?  I'm certain she looked up the full bio some night, drunk and regretful.

4. This wasn't all that dramatic.  The intel you guys got was just about half an hour late, and BD was able to get to the train station unmolested.

5. The intel you guys had said that BD was headed for the DFW.  Make me a roll or two with what Knowledge Skill you think would be appropriate to see if Ian has been able to keep up any good tabs.  Also, stay tuned on this one.

6. Thank you Jack!

As for the deck, understood.  You want me to adjust Ian's opening scene?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <05-07-15/1936:33> »
As for the deck, understood.  You want me to adjust Ian's opening scene?

Not at all. Just wanted to make sure no one was like "So, how's the decker training going?" y'know?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #33 on: <05-08-15/0820:15> »
Hmm... for Bookworm to have killed someone, it either had to have been a situation where she somehow acquired a lethal weapon (since she didn't otherwise carry any) or they died as a result of her knocking them out. The latter seems more likely, like she tossed a stunbolt and it caused them to fall off a building or wreck the car they were driving. I mean, the only opposition we were left to face was the Rangers, although an airport maintenance person would probably work even better. Someone who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Suggestions for residences? I'm not sure where a Medium Lifestyle Apartment would be in the DFW. We also need to drop locations for the two new PCs.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #34 on: <05-08-15/1150:55> »
Hmm... for Bookworm to have killed someone, it either had to have been a situation where she somehow acquired a lethal weapon (since she didn't otherwise carry any) or they died as a result of her knocking them out. The latter seems more likely, like she tossed a stunbolt and it caused them to fall off a building or wreck the car they were driving. I mean, the only opposition we were left to face was the Rangers, although an airport maintenance person would probably work even better. Someone who just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Suggestions for residences? I'm not sure where a Medium Lifestyle Apartment would be in the DFW. We also need to drop locations for the two new PCs.

I like the idea of someone on the maintenance crew.  I also think that she didn't know he was dead until she saw the story about the run on the trids that night.

As for residences, in Dallas proper you'll want to stay on the north side of the Trinity river -- it's more of a stream now, but it still serves as the unofficial demarcation of who is allowed to go where.  Neighborhoods start to get a little spotty past that, and by the time you're down to Cedar Crest, you're looking at some pretty rough Low Lifestyle areas. 

In Fort Worth, the areas around and a bit to the east of the Fort Worth Zoo are all pretty solid choices.  Forest Hill is probably safer, but the law enforcement presence is pretty constant, and might not be the best thing for a shadowrunner.

The last idea is that Las Colinas would feel like home.  Outside the corporate enclaves, there are still some solid neighborhoods for the solidly middle class and nouveau riche who haven't quite made it inside the walls yet.  It's entirely likely that Wraith might think that there's nowhere else in the DFW to live.  It's equally likely that she would avoid that place like the plague, lest she see someone she knows.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-08-15/1230:14> »
I'm thinking she would actually live in Arlington. Assuming Highland Park is still a nice area in 2075, that's probably where she would have grown up, so away from there is where she would want to be. What's the area around Lake Arlington like?

Here are a few rolls:
Cyberdeck: ASDF/4586; Programs: Browse, Configurator, Signal Scrub, & Toolbox (Configurator: ASDF/5747, Programs: Decrypt, Encryption, Hammer, & Mugger]

Rio D's (General Information): Matrix Search [Rio D's] (5 INT, 5 Computer, +2 Hot-Sim) [8]: 12d6t5 2 (15 Seconds)

Texas Rangers/College Station/Crime: Matrix Search [College Station/Texas Rangers/Crime] (5 INT, 5 Computer, +2 Hot-Sim) [8]: 12d6t5 3

Not sure if the latter would be Not Publicized or Hidden information. If it is Hidden, it would take six hours, which Wraith doesn't have. She'd give up after fifteen minutes of searching. She's not going to attempt to search for the name Tremen just yet.
« Last Edit: <05-08-15/1233:46> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #36 on: <05-08-15/1256:20> »
La Sombra's aunt lives at 1921 Southerland Avenue.  LS has been paying her Aunt's rent for a few years now.

With her first big break in the shadows, she'll hope to get a doss of her own.

Also, I've been super busy this week, so haven't gotten a chance to push her crunch to txt in the form here, will get to that this weekend!  Sorry about the delay.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #37 on: <05-08-15/1311:55> »
According to the Shadowrun wiki on Dallas, Arlington is a Z zone.  It's basically a refugee camp "plagued by crime and gang violence."

Rio D's: 2 hits will get you what's on the map and some additional info.  Considering how water greedy peanuts are, and how much of a drought the CAS has been in this last, oh, quarter century or more, the fact that the waitstaff will bring you buckets of peanuts, the shells of which just get tossed on the floor and swept up later, seems incredibly opulent in 2075 and is highly offensive to some more ecologically minded individuals.  Their host has been the target of TerraFirst! hacking attacks, and there have been some protests and more theatrical kinds of demonstrations both inside and out in the past.  On the ground floor most of the meat is vat grown, but the upstairs has real dead cow.  This is firmly a 4G kind of place (God, grits, guns, and gravy), so if you look right you shouldn't have trouble carrying a gun.  If you don't look right, you will promptly be divested of your arms.  Looking right predominantly means being human, looking of a certain class, and not at all coming across as an ecological nutjob. 

College Station Run: 3 hits is pretty good, but 15 minutes limits things some.  Wraith is pretty much able to piece together the gist of what happened.  A runner team made an insertion, cut the power, incapacitated some guards as well as a professor from the Magical Studies lab, and made off with some CAS government grade deepweed.  In the chaos a maintenance worker who just so happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time was killed.  One runner, a hot shot decker from up in Seattle, was also killed in the altercation.  No vid, no leads.

Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <05-08-15/1322:32> »
Thanks.

OK, so Arlington is out... let's see. I was going to go with Fort Worth, but it's so far away from Dallas. I just put a house on the map in South Dallas. Not sure if that is too nice of an area or not for her Middle Lifestyle. Let me know.

The 15 minutes thing is due to the Browse program and the standard 30 minute timeframe for a Limited information search. But that information works for me, thanks!
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #39 on: <05-08-15/1420:46> »
Noted in the finding a place if residence.  It is my intent to do so today when I am home and am able to pull up both the map and the wiki page.  Given the feedback above, I think I will be looking somewhere near Arlington that befits a Low style.  Grungy apartment complex with parking would likely be the main features for the Roost :P hehehe

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-08-15/1753:58> »
Ok, Hopeless is on deck now!

Also, Im using his last 2 karma to buy info: sprawl life 1, and info: street drugs 1, cool?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

SgtBoomCloud

« Reply #41 on: <05-09-15/2234:37> »
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in getting the asked for info out!

Phoenix's Roost is located at 7463 E Arbrook Rd, Block 6, Apt. 49, Arlington, TX

Given the neighborhood, probably one of the better dumps to be had, but the landlord doesn't ask questions.  It's what you expect from a slums apartment: cheap, questionable furniture, frequent bug infestations, but it could be a lot worse.  It has its perks: no one expects a hero out there, Lone Star isn't doing weapons searches out there, and once the gangs got wind of what she packs, they don't seem to bother her much...twice.

...also, am I correct in observing that we all are pretty much holding for R&B to post?  having Phoenix start a convo with La Sombre didn't quite feel right with their respective contacts still there, but feel free to say I'm wrong!

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #42 on: <05-11-15/1148:51> »
...also, am I correct in observing that we all are pretty much holding for R&B to post? 

I'm not usually available for posting on the weekends.  Family time and all. 

If anyone needs/wants to do anything before the meet tonight, act now.  Otherwise, I need to hear from everyone what they're packing and wearing to the meet, and I'll get us all in the same room together.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <05-11-15/1401:09> »
I think I described what Wraith was wearing in my last post. Skirt Suit with a nice old Mexican flag pattern, cowboy hat, and boots. She'll be packing her pistol, but nothing illegal (like her silencer).

With that said, I wanted to get there like an hour early because Wraith has ideas on hacking the restaurant host to see if she can get more details about the meet. We can do all of that OOC if you'd like.

First things first, can she spot the Rio D's Host without a Matrix Perception test? Either way, she'll attempt to spot the Host/learn about the host in VR while in a cab as she nears the location. It should only take a few seconds. Her deck is setup as it was for the Data Search she did earlier.

Matrix Perception [INT (5) + Computer (5) + Hot-Sim (2)] (8): 12d6t5 4
« Last Edit: <05-11-15/1415:13> by JackVII »
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <05-11-15/1623:41> »
Summon Salsha, Rnk 4 Guardian spirit (Mag 4 + Summ 3): 7d6t5 3

Resist Summoning (Force 4): 4d6t5 0

Woo hoo! starting things off well this time! 3 services owed, and she's rank 4, so she'll get a power. Let's do concealment.

Didn't roll for drain cause I've got like six hours till the meet, which is more than enough time to rest off 2 stun, right?

EDIT: How much is the cabride from Hopeless's side of town to downtown? It aint far.
« Last Edit: <05-11-15/1646:31> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english