NEWS

[SR5] Redliner Cyber-Singularity Seeker concept

• 11 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« on: <01-29-16/1201:32> »
With the release of the German version of Chrome Flesh and the inclusion of the rule that allows cyberlimbs to be used for inherent limit calculations if all four limbs are cybernetic, coupled with the Redliner and Cyber-Singularity Seeker qualities, I figured it was time to dust off an old concept and update it with new qualities.

This isn't a complete sheet, just a thought concept of how something could be done if you wanted to go near-cyborg and replace all four limbs with cybernetic ones. The basis is obviously four cyberlimbs; two obvious arms and legs. We add customization (3) and enhancements (1) to get Agility and Strength 7 for all four limbs, as well as 2 points of armor for a base AV of 8. Add some cyberweapons in the form of a shock hand and spurs in one arm and a modified cybergun (Remington Suppressor with internal smartlink) with external clip port in the other arm for a decent mix of melee and ranged combat capabilities, and add hydraulic jacks (6) and large smuggling compartments in both legs. This leaves 4 capacity in both arms and 5 capacity in both legs for future use. The total cost for the limbs, fully equipped, is 4 Essence and 317,400¥.

With Redliner and Cyber-Singularity Seeker you get +2 to Agility, Strength, and Willpower, for a total Agility and Strength of 9 with the possibility of pushing this all the way to 10 by adding more enhancements in the future (too expensive at character generation).

Because we have weapons in both hands we add the Bilateral Coordination Co-Processor for .2 Essence and 4,500¥ so all weapons can be used without penalty, and we also need some sort of speed enhancement. Unfortunately, with the limited funds at creation we can't upgrade everything to alpha in order to fit Wired Reflexes, so we'll add a Synaptic Booster for .5 Essence and 95,000¥, leaving 1.3 Essence for future upgrades. Total cost comes to 416,900, which doesn't leave a lot for life style, SINs, and other equipment, but it should be enough. Worst case you can always take In Debt for some extra cash.

One piece of equipment you do want is a cheap assault rifle like the M23 or AK-97 which you can add the ceramic/plasteel components and the easy break-down modifications to, allowing you to store them in the leg smuggling compartment(s). This allows you to be fully armed at all times, though you may need to cut through your pants or get pants with zippers or large cargo pockets :)

All in all, I finally feel that the fully cybered street samurai is getting viable again; the large resource investment allows you to dump magic and focus on the rest of your attributes (Willpower 8 anyone?), and focus on a few core combat skills. You can't take as many hits due to the reduced condition monitor, though, so active defenses will be a priority.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-29-16/1203:23> »
I'm so mad that Germany gets better rules than the people in America, when an American company has the IP rights to Shadowrun. Haha.
Playability > verisimilitude.

falar

• Omae
  • The Fourth Jesse
« Reply #2 on: <01-29-16/1210:15> »
That rule is optional, by the way. Which means it'll be up to your GM whether they allow it.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-29-16/1224:43> »
I'm so mad that Germany gets better rules than the people in America, when an American company has the IP rights to Shadowrun. Haha.
Hehehe. Nothing stops you from using these rules, though.

That rule is optional, by the way. Which means it'll be up to your GM whether they allow it.
True. Since I'm the GM, that won't be a problem ;)

Full breakdown of cyberlimbs for those interested.

Full Arm (left), customization (agility 3, strength 3), enhancements (agility 1, armor 2, strength 1), Remington Suppressor (internal smartlink), external clip port
Avail 10, 69,400¥, 4 capacity left.

Full Arm (right), customization (agility 3, strength 3), enhancements (agility 1, armor 2, strength 1), shock hand, spurs
Avail 10, 74,000¥, 4 capacity left.

2x Full Leg, customization (agility 3, strength 3), enhancements (agility 1, armor 2, strength 1), hydraulic jacks (6), large smuggling compartment
Avail 10, 87,000¥, 5 capacity left.

All limbs are Agility and Strength 7 (Customized 6 + Enhancements 1), which is upped to 9 with Redliner. Total for all limbs: 317,400¥.
« Last Edit: <01-29-16/1231:02> by Herr Brackhaus »

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-29-16/1648:28> »
Yeah, my players always whine (jokingly) about how European rules are so much better than American rules. Then I remind them (jokingly)?that nobody in our group can read German and half of us are pirating.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-16/1023:39> »
Dont forget Cyberlimb optimization +4 to one skill roll (automatics anyone?)

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-16/1714:22> »
What would you drop with those augments to reduce cost for other ware? Less STR?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-16/1956:42> »
If I had to make room for other ware, I'd drop the enhancements or accessories, anything that takes capacity essentially as that can all be added later. I'd start with the hydraulic jacks, then the smuggling compartments, then the enhancements for agility and strength, then armor.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-16/2055:02> »
What would you drop with those augments to reduce cost for other ware? Less STR?
I'd drop the STR personally, str only comes up in a few tests course dunno the buoyancy of cyberlimbs or how dense they are but damage running and swimming well I can just carry shock gloves for damage

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-31-16/1632:12> »
I'd drop the STR personally, str only comes up in a few tests course dunno the buoyancy of cyberlimbs or how dense they are but damage running and swimming well I can just carry shock gloves for damage

STR customization can't be bought after the cyberlimb is installed so I agree with Herr Brackhaus that it should be bought now... I'd go without the enh agi/str (+52000 for a total of 88100). Get yourself 20 K with Karma (you'll need 7 points neg quality as you only have 3 at the moment) And upgrade synaptic booster to 2, leaving you with 13100. If you don't want to go in debt you can wait on the hydraulick jacks.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-31-16/1942:38> »
Now that I think about it, Catalyst really messed up when they allowed weapons to be modified into cyberguns. I mean, the Ares SIGMA-III is ripe for abuse with it's 50 round drum magazine, and there is some ambiguity whether a weapon with the cybergun modification counts as an exotic weapon or as the weapon of it's base type. I'd likely just rule all weapons to use the base clip sizes of cyberguns from SR5 to avoid exploitation, but let them count as normal weapons for skill purposes to avoid the exotic weapon route.

I seem to remember additional rules about characters with cyberlimbs having a harder time swimming, but cannot for the life of me find them anywhere. Am I imagining things?

Dartguns also get no love with Chrome Flesh; you're far better off taking capsule rounds and a normal light or heavy pistol/machine pistol/SMG as you don't need a dedicated exotic skill and you don't need to use an additional 6 capacity for the counts-as-heavy-pistol Dartgun.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-31-16/2013:05> »
well, the rule for using standard weapons and making them cyber implant is optional...so you don't have to allow them.

and where does it say an implanted gun is exotic? I looked in cyber implant weapons and didn't see it... is it in some errata? Of course, I don't have the second printing so...