Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Novel Question

(1/4) > >>

jayhawk1106:
Hi there!  I'm new.....ish.  Long time reader of SR rulebooks, but never actually played with anyone.  No one I know plays and my wife is afraid of those online recruiting.  lol  So I take to novels to get my fill.  My question is I just got a Kindle for Christmas.  And I got the first book in the series, Never Trust A Dragon.  But the only ones after that are the Nigel series.  Are there plans to put the rest of the books on Kindle or should I just go ahead and get the hardcopy versions?  Thanks!

Crimsondude:
You would probably be better looking for used copies somewhere. I cannot say what the plans are but I know the prices of used are comparable or better. Try used bookstores (One here is next door to a gaming shop and carries almost every SR novel for half cover price). Amazon, eBay or craigslist can have them for even less. Although fact is that Findley's novels are the best along wih Tom Dowd's Burning Bright.

Also you should look at Play by Post here or Dupshock or elsewhere. I have played SR for twenty years--all online. I am still trying to arrange my first tabletop SR game after a month of plans and missed dates for various reasons.

ssjevot:
I managed to get every Shadowrun novel off of eBay for $20 (including shipping) a while back.  If you look you can find them.

jayhawk1106:
@crimsondude

I'll be sure to check out the play by post.  After you suggested it, I read some of them and it seems fun.  I'll have to re-read the core books and figure out my character so I can play!  I hope they accept noobs!   ;D

Crimsondude:
Excellent. It can be a lot of fun. It doesn't move as quickly as a tabletop game, but it certainly accomodates one's schedule and the time allows more thought to go into writing posts. Critias, who I met on a pbp site eleven or so years ago, calls it collaborative fiction. And he's right. Outside of dice rolling it is a pretty cool way to tell a story and not just kill or steal shit.

I actually collected our last big campaign as I ran several mini games at once into a 300+ page pdf novel that's posted in the Fan Fiction forum below (There's Nothing Free In This World). Amost all of it -- outside the intros and epilogue -- is composed of reformatted transcripts of actual posts. There is also a link buried in my tumblr (link in my sig).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version