NEWS

Some comments from Jason Hardy on criticism of 6e

• 95 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #75 on: <10-23-19/1335:38> »
I think you can find the same things he found simply by googling the author's name.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

adzling

« Reply #76 on: <10-23-19/1354:11> »
i just read the section in war and tbh it's not bad imho.

it's not encouraging PCs to go kill holocaust ghosts, that's for sure.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #77 on: <10-23-19/1355:03> »
I think you can find the same things he found simply by googling the author's name.
Yep...

adzling

« Reply #78 on: <10-23-19/1430:52> »
should i post the @ three paragraphs in questions so people can judge for themselves?

frankly i don't understand the hand wringing over this, in my reading it's not at all what folks on the interwebs have said it is.

is this even the right thread to discuss this?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <10-23-19/1452:25> »
should i post the @ three paragraphs in questions so people can judge for themselves?

frankly i don't understand the hand wringing over this, in my reading it's not at all what folks on the interwebs have said it is.

is this even the right thread to discuss this?

One .. no, this is not the place (in my opinion anyway)
Two ... it's been almost 10 years since that book was released. None of those authors are even still active ... especially the one who wrote that particular section. Let it die ... it has zero bearing on current product
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

adzling

« Reply #80 on: <10-23-19/1454:09> »
noted and agree Banshee.

0B

« Reply #81 on: <10-23-19/1806:39> »
How transparent are other game companies compared to CGL in their processes/errata/criticism? I suppose the only other one I've paid attention to is WotC, just because of D&D, but WotC isn't really comparable to most TTRPG companies

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #82 on: <10-23-19/2258:20> »
Paizo is pretty transparent and responsive.

ikarinokami

• Chummer
« Reply #83 on: <10-23-19/2307:22> »
Plus, whoever wrote that thing clearly has no idea how Shadowrun magic items work.

Deep within the bowels of Auschwitz II during WWII, Dr. Eduard Wirths conducted and supervised thousands of odd experiments on the human body. He tested mustard gas on innocents. He mutilated twins. He held people in tanks of ice water for hours or until dead. He exposed prisoners to malaria. He forced them to drink seawater. One particular implement from his experiments, a rusted old scalpel, was left in the labs. Over many years, it was energized by the various ghosts passing by it, feeding off their death energies. At this point, it’s taken on a life of its own. The rusty old scalpel craves death. It only finds itself at home when flush with warm blood. Although this makes it a remarkably effective weapon, anyone holding it is subject to the sounds of its past victims. As a function of this, when the weapon is in hand, the character is considered distracted and suffers a –4 dice pool modifier to all Perception Tests. If she attempts to Observe in Detail as a Simple Action, she only suffers a –2 dice pool modifier.

Reach: 0, Damage: (Str/2+4)P, AP: –2, Availability: N/A (unique item), Market Value: 10,000¥

This is a D20 modern cursed magic item, not anything that works in Shadowrun.  Weapon foci are a thing, and do what the author was groping towards, but do not in any way  work like this.

As to the dungeon crawl, how else does one interpret this?

For your average runner, Auschwitz II is suicide. Only the most enterprising groups will survive the trip. But such a trip can result in great rewards (see The Fleshfinder, below).

The section also goes out of its way to place an arms dealer peddling 'anti-ghost weaponry' in the area, with no details anywhere of what that would consist of, and the intended targets being the haunted spirits of those murdered in the camps.

The whole thing is disgusting.

Disgusting makes no sense. It's shadowrun. the whole setting is based on the premise that humans do terrible things. is the problem because it happens in real life? because we have human trafficking, terrorism. there is nothing wrong that paragraph or the adventure idea. 

Arkas

• Newb
« Reply #84 on: <10-24-19/0049:26> »
Paizo is pretty transparent and responsive.

As far as I can say, the same goes for FFG.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #85 on: <10-24-19/0728:53> »

Might be a dumb question, but who is the author of said paragraph?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #86 on: <10-24-19/0755:58> »

Might be a dumb question, but who is the author of said paragraph?
There were 4 authors credited for the book:
David Hill, Aaron Pavao, Michael Wich, Filamena Young

None of whom have written anything for SR (to my knowledge) for some time. Of those, I know Aaron was active until after the release of 5e... Filamena has written several other books for other systems.

Hill, and Wich are harder to pin down as there are multiple authors with the same names.... 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <10-24-19/0827:28> »
If my memory serves, David Hill is David A. Hill Jr, a pen name for Olivia Hill.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #88 on: <10-26-19/0459:17> »
If my memory serves, David Hill is David A. Hill Jr, a pen name for Olivia Hill.

They seem to be separate people, but they do work on a lot of the same projects. I was able to track down a Bio for both of them.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #89 on: <10-26-19/0930:10> »

They seem to be separate people, but they do work on a lot of the same projects. I was able to track down a Bio for both of them.
Okay, let's nip this in the bud. No more discussing of the authors, it's coming a bit closer to doxxing them and their information.