Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

What would you like to see in a gm tool?

(1/4) > >>

Irian:
Hi,

some GMs like to use laptops (or netbooks) for gamemastering (keeping notes, etc.). As I'm one of them (and as my netbook doesn't take much space on my table - the GM screen takes more) I started writing a tool for this a while ago. As I'm rewritting it from scratch, I would like to get some input... What features would you like to see in a tool to support the GM in a gaming session?

Flo

Dino:
Probably the most important thing I need when running is a way to keep track of everyone's initiative and damage, so some kind of tracker is a must. Honestly I'm not sure what else you would need a computer app to do for GMing Shadowrun, maybe a dice roller?

On a personal note, as a long-time linux user I really appreciate when programs are written in a portable language like java or python. Not everyone uses Windoze!

FastJack:
I'm waiting to see what Hero Labs is coming up with. They are developing SR for HL and I know the regular version has an Initiative tracker and other things like damage/status effects built in. They hoping to have a release around Christmas.

Irian:
Yup, I'm waiting for Hero labs myself, looks very promising, but for me Hero Lab looks more like a really nice character generator with some bonus features, which is something I need as a player, but not as a GM.

I also tend to see the combat tracker as an important feature and a dice roller will surely come in handy (but I'm pretty sure that there are enough GMs out there, who simply like the feeling of real dice :)). Some points I though of (and realized in an earlier version)...

* Character list (NPCs and PCs), either as a short GM-list (important skills, stats, etc. only) or as an full char sheet
* Combat tracker (for start, just initiative and damage boxes (mainly of npcs))
* NPC Generator (quite optional, but some gms might find it nice to get X Gangers created on the fly from templates)
* Note Editor - to keep your notes in one place
* Image viewer - the thing I like most in the first version (shows images on a 2nd screen (for example, a projector) and has the ability to draw on the images and move tokens around - fog of war included)
* Sound player (plays Mp3 files )

One general feature that I want is to save all files for a session (chars, images, notes, sounds, etc.) and load them with one click to allow preparing a session and save time when setting up on the table. Other ideas?

tbrminsanity:

--- Quote from: Irian on ---Yup, I'm waiting for Hero labs myself, looks very promising, but for me Hero Lab looks more like a really nice character generator with some bonus features, which is something I need as a player, but not as a GM.

I also tend to see the combat tracker as an important feature and a dice roller will surely come in handy (but I'm pretty sure that there are enough GMs out there, who simply like the feeling of real dice :)). Some points I though of (and realized in an earlier version)...

* Character list (NPCs and PCs), either as a short GM-list (important skills, stats, etc. only) or as an full char sheet
* Combat tracker (for start, just initiative and damage boxes (mainly of npcs))
* NPC Generator (quite optional, but some gms might find it nice to get X Gangers created on the fly from templates)
* Note Editor - to keep your notes in one place
* Image viewer - the thing I like most in the first version (shows images on a 2nd screen (for example, a projector) and has the ability to draw on the images and move tokens around - fog of war included)
* Sound player (plays Mp3 files )

One general feature that I want is to save all files for a session (chars, images, notes, sounds, etc.) and load them with one click to allow preparing a session and save time when setting up on the table. Other ideas?

--- End quote ---

That is a really good list.  The only thing I would add is a chat tool if your going to use the GM tool for online games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version