NEWS

[6E] Addiction and kicking the habit

• 4 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <06-28-21/1249:00> »
I'm running 30 Nights, and one of my players has a major BTL addiction.  He's currently in Day 4 of withdrawl on his level 4 addiction (12 hr intervals) on account of there not being any power available to run a BTL (yet).  He's decided to use this opportunity to try and kick the habit.  There's no rules for this (yet), nor any ceiling for withdrawl penalties. 
I'm looking for suggestions on how to handle this in the context of 30 Nights, where there is next to no downtime planned in the campaign where we could handwave "x weeks go by".  I'm thinking I will cap out his negative dice pool modifier at either -4 (his addiction rating) or -6 (his addiction rating plus the base penalty for being in withdrawl), and use Composure, threshold 1 (but -6 to the pool) to resist cravings. Not sure though how long to make him keep it up; I read the section in 5e and it suggests the time should be measured in weeks.
Thoughts?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-28-21/1541:31> »
I see no need for rules... pay off the drawback with karma and roleplay the rest in whatever way makes sense.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <06-29-21/2225:54> »
Ming,

4th had a mechanic for withdrawal but I can't remember the details.  What Banshee said will work fine and if the player really gets into the roleplay you can throw them a bonus karma or something. 

Ludwig
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-30-21/1500:23> »
I'd handwave the time required to kick the habit. If you run RAW advancement times but are using a tight in-game calendar then basically no karma expenditures are possible since all progression is measured in weeks/months. Realistic, perhaps, but not a fun abstraction. If you're going to let someone pick up a spell or upgrade a skill then also let him buy off the negative quality.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <06-30-21/1625:18> »
Yeah karma-expense times are pretty much balanced around 1 run per month, not one per day. If your speed differs, pick whatever you find reasonable.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!