NEWS

Was Earthdawn planned from the beginning of Shadowrun?

• 35 Replies

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #15 on: <06-10-12/0946:37> »
Aff? Wow, we are REALLY going back to the old FASA datafiles, huh? Or did FASA use "aff" in Shadowrun as well as Battletech/Mechwarrior?
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #16 on: <06-10-12/1552:47> »
Aff? Wow, we are REALLY going back to the old FASA datafiles, huh? Or did FASA use "aff" in Shadowrun as well as Battletech/Mechwarrior?

Neg. But, speaking of games I miss  :'(

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <06-11-12/0054:43> »

I have played Battletech and Shadowrun so long....clan speak and runner slang are part of my normal way of talking
in non-formal settings.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <06-11-12/1136:19> »
Mechwarrior and Battletech are alive and well, also.  BOLS is even covering BT every so often.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #19 on: <06-11-12/1325:52> »
Mechwarrior and Battletech are alive and well, also.  BOLS is even covering BT every so often.

Please dont tell me you mean that Dark Age crap. I think copious amounts of meth were involved in its creation.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-11-12/1437:03> »
No, not Dark Age.  The entire timeline from Star League on up.  The book Total Warfare and the starter box are covered on Bell of Lost Souls.  The game is alive and well.
There is no overkill.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <06-12-12/0101:35> »

Please dont tell me you mean that Dark Age crap. I think copious amounts of meth were involved in its creation.

Go here: http://bg.battletech.com/

_Pax_

« Reply #22 on: <06-12-12/1507:51> »
As it took off and did well, THEN you had some people spinning things off with connections to the long longago and, eventually, when enough intrest was built up, starting the Earthdawn branch, but, it's safe to say that it wasn't planned from launch.
  Not at all true (assuming you mean "not at ED's launch").

In the original, first-printing ED corebook?  Back in the day, I knew (and regularly gamed with) over half the names listed as playtesters in that book.  And with a few of the chief writers, too.

And the university club I was part of, was involved in the later playtest.  So I got the opportunity to read through a lot of early-draft material.  The links were there, and they were pretty explicit.  The writers responsible for making ED, had a link in mind from Day 0 (of ED, not SR).

(Mind you, while I've *played* since '89, I wasn't part of the design crew, so, not Word  of God here or anything.)
  I also wasn't part of the team itself - but had regular access to, and conversations with, more than one of them.  :)
« Last Edit: <06-12-12/1510:10> by _Pax_ »

RelentlessImp

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <06-12-12/1517:46> »
I also wasn't part of the team itself - but had regular access to, and conversations with, more than one of them.  :)

Is it story time? :D I'd love to hear about the early days of ED when they were linking it to SR.
Next time you're down on your knees, and you're expecting a slap, it might be me in that mask, and I just might have a bat.
Currently Looking for Work

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-03-12/0021:17> »
As for planned in the beginning?

No.

Remember, Shadowrun was published in '89. The idea of a game branching out into different timeframes from LAUNCH was a foreign concept. Who knew if Shadowrun would even be usccessful?

As it took off and did well, THEN you had some people spinning things off with connections to the long longago and, eventually, when enough intrest was built up, starting the Earthdawn branch, but, it's safe to say that it wasn't planned from launch.

(Mind you, while I've *played* since '89, I wasn't part of the design crew, so, not Word  of God here or anything.)

Wow, and I thought I was old.  :P
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <07-03-12/0022:05> »
Have the mechanics changed at all, or is it still the same?

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <07-03-12/0023:57> »

Is it story time? :D I'd love to hear about the early days of ED when they were linking it to SR.

Well, back when I was a young whipper snapper, this great game called Earthdawn came out.  We weren't quite sure what to make of it, but it had one of the (if not the) most interesting game mechanics I had ever seen. 

Just thinking about it makes me feel young again.
« Last Edit: <07-03-12/1332:41> by Glorthoron »

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <07-03-12/0212:42> »
Well, back when I was a young whipper snapper, this great game called Earthdawn came out.  We weren't quite sure what to make of it, but it had one of the (in not the) most interesting game mechanics I had ever seen. 

Just thinking about it makes me feel young again.

Yes, the whole "Steps" where something a certain value used a certain combination of dice was, and is, still an interesting
mechanic, and I do not think I have seen something similar attempted in any other system...And then there was the Nethermancer
Karma ritual that involved summoning up an entity and having tea with it....

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-03-12/1841:59> »
Savage Worlds uses progressively larger dice for the characters.  That's one.
There is no overkill.

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <07-03-12/2156:16> »
Savage Worlds uses progressively larger dice for the characters.  That's one.

How long has Savage Worlds been around?