NEWS

SR6 Maximum Attribute

• 7 Replies

CosmicFlux

• Newb
« on: <08-16-20/0827:57> »
On page 63 of the core book, it says that "only one attribute may be at the maximum for the selected metatype."

Are Special Attributes included as part of that?  So if I were making a human mage and set my Magic to 6 with the special points, are all of my Physical and Mental attributes limited to 5?

Thanks!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-16-20/0837:10> »
My reading there revolves around key phrase "maximum for selected metatype". Metatype only has bearing on the maximums for physical and mental attributes, as the special ones are the same for everyone.

As for intent? No idea.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

CosmicFlux

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-16-20/0853:37> »
That's the part of it I was looking at too.  While the table on 64 does list Edge, it doesn't have Magic or Resonance listed.  And, while I haven't verified, my understanding is we don't even get to find out what the "maximum" magic rating is until we get to the Initiation section on page 167.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <08-16-20/0859:45> »
That's basically the argument I use when this comes up, yes. Since it's Metatype-based, Edge is now included in the restriction, but Magic and Resonance would still be excluded for me.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-16-20/0946:24> »
I go with Physical and Mental Attributes.  Edge and Magic can both be maxed as well. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-16-20/1054:56> »
I include Edge as well (because it is listed on the metatype chart as having metatype maximum ratings).
This is also indirectly mean a buff to humans, which is a Good Thing(tm).

Magic and Resonance excluded. They are not metatyp dependent.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-16-20/1309:35> »
I include Edge as well (because it is listed on the metatype chart as having metatype maximum ratings).

This is my reading as well. 
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-17-20/1432:25> »
My understanding on the rule.

Best,
SL

Si vis pacem, para bellum