NEWS

Background Count and Wards

• 3 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« on: <02-29-16/0435:35> »
I'm planning a run where the runners have to recover some materials from a warehouse where "incidentally" a group of mages have been conducting some nasty rituals for a period of time. Now I know that the nastier the ritual the lower the background count, but could high force wards been used to keep the BC to seep into the surrounding area?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-29-16/0548:49> »
If you are the GM:
Sure, sounds reasonable. As long it's not on a ley-line that could distribute the pollution, a strong mana barrier should be able to contain the BC.
A lodge does in fact do this - it aspects an area to coincide with your tradition so you are not hindered in your casting.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-29-16/0554:38> »
Actually, the more nastiness, the higher the background count. A positive background is the result of excess energies in the area which "mucks up" the magic in the area. The background, however would be aspected to whatever type of magic the were using, and give that style of magic a bonus and everything else a penalty equal to the magnitude of the background.

As far as keeping the background contained, wards wouldn't really hold anything in, but the background also wouldn't necessarily be immediately noticeable until you got close. I've seen lots of sources that using a sliding scale of magnitude for backgrounds. The closer you get the stronger it becomes. An example would be a lair of a toxic mage. Now, the mage turned toxic because he had prolonged exposure to a high level of pollution/radiation, so the area the lair is in is already a background 2 just in general. As you approach the building, the immediate area ramps up to 3, because it is simply more polluted. Entering the building there is no appreciable change, but going downstairs into his work-space, the background increases to 4.

I could very easily see a background of up to 4 or 5 being fairly self-contained and not seeping out to an enormous degree. It is also worth mentioning that a background of 1-2 is fairly normal in less "happy" places.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #3 on: <02-29-16/1936:33> »
Thank you for your input. I had completely forgotten about lodges. Interesting ideas emerge.
As for the count itself after reading SG again I'll leave but at 3 as the rituals haven't gone on for that long and the number of members is relatively small.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?