NEWS

Armors and Stacking

• 91 Replies

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #30 on: <09-07-10/1855:20> »
The cemack blast was at F.A.S.A. headquarters in Chicago home of a massive bug hive.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <09-07-10/1954:43> »
Huh.... I remember a review that one of the authors/designers knew Seattle so well and/or he live there, which is why the Seattle books came out so well.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #32 on: <09-07-10/1956:30> »
I'm sure someone did live out that way
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-08-10/0452:10> »
Unless Mike pipes up on the forum we aren't likely to get an answer.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <09-08-10/0612:18> »
I sent Mike an IM about that question last night. He was busy but said he would send me an email with the answer.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <09-08-10/0613:43> »
Handy.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <09-08-10/0640:52> »
I love digging for little trivia like this.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <09-08-10/0703:26> »
About armor and stacking, when you approaches such protection amounts by simply stacking common armors, doesn't it make milspec armors nearly useless ?
I find it at least paradoxal that the best SOTA hightech armors can't provide the best protection.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <09-08-10/0711:14> »
As with any ruleset that tries to simulate a world we know (to a certain grade), it has holes. This is just a pretty good armored specimen ;D
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <09-08-10/0856:18> »
Staypuff Marshmellow Man...

Sure, you can throw all of that stuff on. You look silly, are going to be spotted a mile away, and will want to stop for a banana bag every hour. Not every hole has to be plugged with a rule, not every rule plugs a hole.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <09-08-10/0900:36> »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't anything besides the helmet be covered by the coat?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #41 on: <09-08-10/0901:48> »
About armor and stacking, when you approaches such protection amounts by simply stacking common armors, doesn't it make milspec armors nearly useless ?
I find it at least paradoxal that the best SOTA hightech armors can't provide the best protection.

Even the lightest of milspec armors would only be a few points away from the original example, and there are other benefits to milspec as well, like capacity.  

Going unnoticed, not so much :p

edit: looking at it again, the troll adept in full Oyoroi (the lightest milspec) would be at 18/18 + have 15 points of capacity to play with.
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/0907:09> by Mooncrow »

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <09-08-10/0908:55> »
Okay !
I'm curious : is there an option allowing to spend milspec armors capacity to increase its armor rating ?
All I found is gel packs, and I'm not even sure it applies to these armors.

EDIT : the other combo I've heard of is SWAT armor + form fitting + PPP. Didn't made the calculation, but think it goes far further than milspec : FFBA 6/2 + SWAT 12/10 + helmet +2/2, you're already at 20/12, without PPP options, without magical or cybernetic options nor race modifiers.
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/0917:21> by anotherJack »
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <09-08-10/0918:23> »
I am sure that it would be covered by the trenchcoat.

Spotting body armor is relatively easily, police and security have every reason to be on the lookout for characters wearing body armor, ballistic helmet, carrying smgs, a dozen ammo mags, grenades, knives, katana swords, blocks of C4. You don't really need a rule to solve that problem just the willingness as a GM to give a gentle reminder (read...multiple SRT teams converging on the PCs) every so often.

If carrying the LMG into the Corp facility is going to cause more problems than it solves then perhaps its best to leave it at home.  ;)

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <09-08-10/0923:06> »
I do agree, but when the choice you have to make involve a milspec armor on one hand, don't think discretion does matter anymore ^^