NEWS

Chicago v/s Magic

• 84 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« on: <06-15-14/0125:11> »
Hey all, 
I seem to recall that the Windy city was coated in that anti-magic bacteria stuff a while back.
I was wondering for those that are running in Season 5 &/or those that have the sourcebooks.
How bad off is Chicago today for an "Awakened" character ?
Fully Mage v/s Physical Adept ?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-14/0256:17> »
This is from the general rules in the current Missions adventures:

Between the Cermak Blast, the bugs, the debilitating effects of FAB III, and years of death and metahuman misery, astral space in and around the Zone is horrible. Unless otherwise noted in the scene, assume a default background count of 2 anytime characters are within the Containment Zone. The count fluctuates wildly at times, so players should expect to encounter everything from high background counts and mana voids to various aspected backgrounds and mana warps. (See Background Count sidebar for full rules. Future Shadowrun, Fifth Edition rulebooks may supersede these rules). Areas of Chicago outside the CZ may also suffer background count bleed from the Zone.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-14/1330:28> »
Thanks

So I just realized that there are no rules for Background Count in the 5E core book.   (That I can find)

How are you handling it ?   Using 4E rules ?  Or is there something I'm missing.
« Last Edit: <06-15-14/1334:16> by Tarislar »

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-14/1358:44> »
Simple answer - the background count is a die pool penalty to any actions that use or are modified by magic.  Initiative is a special case, reducing the total result by the background count instead of reducing dice.

Basically, expect to be at a penalty for at least part of most Season 5 modules.  My physical adept went ahead and took Adept Centering when he initiated to help mitigate the penalty.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-15-14/1410:52> »
Okay, that's messed up.

So if you have "Improved Agility-1" then 17 different skills now run at a -1 Instead of the +1 that you paid for ?

Time to make a Samurai.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-15-14/1447:22> »
I'm pretty sure Bull did that just to fuck with Critias and me.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-15-14/1522:11> »
Between the Rigger Repair Rules & Back Ground count......... I see a lot of Samurai, backed up by a Decker & maybe a Mystic Adept that dumps points into Astral Perception, Reflexes, Senses, and a few other low die count options as being the core of a "lease affected runners" group.
But maybe that's just my first impression.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <06-16-14/0101:12> »
Okay, that's messed up.

So if you have "Improved Agility-1" then 17 different skills now run at a -1 Instead of the +1 that you paid for ?

Time to make a Samurai.
Maybe increase a threshold by one - or decrease your accuracy by one instead of loosing a die? Course that would jack the 'improved accuracy' power...
Since magic is focused inward for adepts, they may be affected less in corrupted areas than a mage, shaman or MA. How about increasing drain for boosted and activated powers? Foci would loose a die because you are actively channeling power through an item (or tattoo). Other effects and fluff, IMHO, would be determined by GM - headaches, some modifiers to Improved Senses (occasionally), a feeling of corruption or being tainted, modifiers to the astral perception power etc.

Then there is this method - which as a budding Eviiiill GM, certainly has some appeal to me!  8)

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <06-16-14/0956:27> »
Okay, that's messed up.

Time to make a Samurai.

Beats 4A  version of background count:  it was a penalty to foci's and your magic rating.  I'll take a die pool penalty any day over that.
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #9 on: <06-16-14/1213:58> »
Street sams, deckers and technos have to deal with a -2 dice noise rating as well. There's ways to deal with that, however.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-16-14/1235:55> »
Okay, that's messed up.

Time to make a Samurai.
IIRC, Bull said Adept Powers can be turned off and on at will.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #11 on: <06-16-14/1903:51> »
Yeah, hopefully we can clear that up some for future products.  But for now, for Missions purposes, adept powers can be "Switched off" if necessary.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <06-16-14/1944:28> »

Then there is this method - which as a budding Eviiiill GM, certainly has some appeal to me!  8)
Bull is definitely that.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #13 on: <06-16-14/2344:47> »
Bull is definitely that.

I learned from the best.  Before he was Gamemaster to the Stars, he was dubbed the "EvilGM" back in the old RN list days of the mid 90's for the horrors he put Bull the Ork Decker through. :)

*Moment of silence for his fallen brother*

Dammit.  I miss that evil bastard. :(

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <07-01-14/1157:58> »
This won't apply until Street Grimoire becomes legal, but I have a question regarding the Containment Zone background count:
Between the Cermak Blast, the bugs, the debilitating effects of FAB III, and years of death and metahuman misery, astral space in and around the Zone is horrible. Unless otherwise noted in the scene, assume a default background count of 2 anytime characters are within the Containment Zone.
Is the Containment Zone considered to be aspected towards "violence and war", which would allow the Domain of the Warrior metamagic (from the Warrior's Way) to apply to the Background Count? 

Also, would the worship of insect and toxic spirits in the area make it aspected with "religious or spiritual significance", which would allow the Domain of the Spiritual metamagic (from The Spiritual Way) to apply?

Once Street Grimoire becomes legal, those questions are going to need answers.  Personally, if I had to make a call as a gamemaster, I'd consider the Containment Zone aspected towards violence and war, but not to religion or spiritual elements.  However, I freely admit my Chicago knowledge is more from the Cliff Notes version of what happened than having played through all the game events of the past 20+ years.