NEWS

Space Sourcebook? Anyone?

• 33 Replies

The Laughing Man

• Newb
« on: <12-18-10/0618:37> »
(Sorry ahead of time if this topic has been discussed before, didn't find a thread.)

So looking over the new War! book, it's awesome. Good fiction and plot hooks while adding new gear too.

But I have to wonder. Have you guys put any thought in creating a space sourcebook in the same fashion? Most of my players are sci-fi nerds(and I suspect most of the shadowrun fanbase are) and I've often pondered a space campaign, but without hard rules on anything space related I've avoided it. The closest thing is Target: Wastelands and snippets from various sourcebooks.

Any word on a Space sourcebook in the near or far future?

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <12-18-10/0651:32> »
I think that would be a long shot, since Shadowrunning in space is fun, but mostly as an episode. There isn't enough places there to hide for a team from the gravity well...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <12-18-10/0825:52> »
Plus not to mention Space mostly excludes at least 1/4 of most Shadowrun teams (Spellcasters and Adepts).

At the end of the day, Shadowrun is not a Sci-Fi game and not really geared toward Space all that well.  There have been books that have touched on it a little (Target: Wastelands for 3rd ed, IIRC), and I'm sure it will get touched on again.  But I doubt it will ever be a full fledged focus of a book.  (at least, I hope not.  That's word count better devoted to things that the majority of players will use).

My suggestion, if you want to do Shadowrun in Space, look at West Ends old Star Wars system or maybe the Serenity roleplaying game. 

Bull

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <12-18-10/0910:29> »
Also, due to the effects a signal-free zone has on Technomancers, I'd say it would effect them in a similar fashion as Spellcasters/Adepts. They might have more room to play in space (how far out does the signal go?) but I'd still make them get jittery.

ssjevot

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-29-10/1347:22> »
I think it would be cool to have this is part of another Sourcebook that covers exotic areas (undersea, etc.).

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #5 on: <12-29-10/1831:50> »
Like Target: Wastelands did?  granted, that was 3rd edition, but most of the information is still valid, and the rules could be adopted to SR4 pretty easy.

Bull

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-29-10/2055:56> »
I would totally write a spacerunners book if I was allowed. Cyberpirates! and the oceanic material from T:W are the most comprehensive writeups on 70% of the Earth's surface and way, way out-of-date (IIRC, Proteus hadn't even met the DF criteria for a self-sustaining aquacology/arkoblock yet). Space is ... Space. The Kilimanjaro mass driver and imminent space elevator (You know why it will happen? Because, magic. If an elf mage can break the sound barrier sans vehicle, a giant mass of cables is nothing) will further increase the amount of stuff in space.

BTW, magic and TMs aren't impossible in space. Just hard and rare. But then again, running against Deus should have been impossible, and I know for a fact that the authors cut stuff that makes what got into RA:S look easy (Dave Hyatt was a classically-trained Bastard GM), but there was a story reason. Now and here isn't the time, but let's just say nothing is off-limits. I can't quite recall if it is the exact quote, but SteveD on rpg.net said many years ago something to the effect of, "No one minds the railroad when the destination is Awesome Town." The only way Brainscan works is that is the RPG equivalent of a transcontinental Super Chief ride, but aside from the forced datajack implantation I've never heard anyone who played it bitch about that fact.

I digress. By a lot. Like the whole point of my High Concept thread, I think there are times when SR just needs to go all-in and embrace its batshit insanity and the fact that reality is even crazier than fiction (If magic was real, SR would be pretty sedate).

Anyway, I am willing to bet that "In Space, No One Can Hear You Run" will be released within five years. I would say three, but I am being cautious. If I was the line developer it would be out by Christmas 2011 after *mumbles*, *mumbles*, and especially *excited mumbling*.
« Last Edit: <12-29-10/2106:46> by Crimsondude »

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: <12-29-10/2127:53> »

My suggestion, if you want to do Shadowrun in Space, look at West Ends old Star Wars system or maybe the Serenity roleplaying game.  

Bull

:'( I miss WEG Star Wars....I reeeeeeeealy do.

But anyway. Space would also seem to be very limited oppertunity for runners by the very nature its so blasted hard to GET into space on both a tactical and logistical level. And becasue of the logistics of getting into space, it's next to impossible to be sneaky about it. Unless you can come up with some insanely high level cover most likely being provided by Johnson), I just dont see Joe Runner being able to pull it off. Nah, any shadow ops in space is at the least going to be done by high level corp or maybe govt black ops with their own abilities to get there rather than risking hiring out.

Not to mention that I doubt Joe Runner would have the skills necessary to effectively operate/suvive in space. I doubt that there are too many ex-astronaughts runners about.

At least that's my take, but this IS Shadowrun...wierder things have happened.
« Last Edit: <12-30-10/0508:36> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

ssjevot

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <12-29-10/2156:31> »
snip

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.  Seriously, I hope the things you're talking about do happen, because it's an idea with a lot of potential.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-29-10/2214:45> »
snip
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.  Seriously, I hope the things you're talking about do happen, because it's an idea with a lot of potential.
So would I.

Not to mention that I doubt Joe Runner would have the skills necessary to effectively operate/suvive in space. I doubt that there are too many ex-astronaughts runners about.
True. However, the fact that there are runners in space (Jackpointers Orbital DK and to a lesser extent Rigger X are two) speaks volumes about where SR space has come since System Failure.

It wouldn't be any easier that Findley's Tir Tairngire. Of course, I like the original TT and laugh at people who bitched about it being too hard or unrealistic or some other nonsense. That said, it would be worth exploring, and I think that making it hard but playable is a worthwhile challenge and opportunity to authors and GMs/Players alike.

LFG

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <12-29-10/2258:39> »
Ever since the big D's will I've thought at least an official adventure publication would see the light.  With the various references to space (see Augmentation, micrograv adaptation for example) it seems authors have it in mind at least marginally.

After taking a look at Eclipse Phase I figured it would be less likely to see a push in the outer space direction.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #11 on: <01-05-11/1530:02> »
Dont know when dont know where, Ive heard about some Ares research hydroponic stations, where high level initiates seek the way to deep metaplanes being isolated from Earth. Maybe just some kind of urban bullshit but you know...Im always looking for the seeds of knowledge...

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-05-11/1631:02> »
It is in one of the fiction pieces in Street Magic.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-06-11/0906:48> »
Also, due to the effects a signal-free zone has on Technomancers, I'd say it would effect them in a similar fashion as Spellcasters/Adepts. They might have more room to play in space (how far out does the signal go?) but I'd still make them get jittery.
"Jittery" isn't how I'd describe the effect on awakened characters.

"Weeping blood out of the eyes" is probably a bit closer.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #14 on: <01-06-11/1259:45> »
I know weeping blood makes me jittery.  ;)