NEWS

[SR5] Rules Clarifications and FAQ

• 1699 Replies

IntrepidVector

• Newb
« Reply #1605 on: <01-11-17/0527:19> »
Ah, well damn. Everything costs so much money :p

One last question for now: Does it say anywhere how many Take Aim actions a drone can perform? On PG. 271 of Core, a character has a drone take several, so it at least seems possible. Substitute Pilot for Willpower, perhaps?

Edit: Also: What can an AI use as dice pools when jumped in to a drone from their RCC?
-Can they use an autosoft in place of their skill or is that only when loaded into a slot on drone itself?
-If they use an autosoft instead of their skill, can they still use their Attribute, or are they restricted to using the drone's Pilot?

I'm hoping to be able to use Reaction (based on Data Processing for an AI) + Autosoft to drive a drone/vehicle, basically.
« Last Edit: <01-12-17/0405:08> by IntrepidVector »

Ionic

• Newb
  • *Hack the planet*
« Reply #1606 on: <02-14-17/1501:38> »
If I may interrupt, chummers...

Resonance [Program]: This echo lets you copy the effects of one common or hacking program (p. 245). Can be taken once per type of program

This Echo is from the basic rulebook but now there are more programs available in Data Trails. Can you use these program effects from Data Trails as well with the Echo Resonance Program? Would be very useful with the one that boosts your Sleaze attribute by +1 to 5 while causing static as well. ::)

Darkseid

• Newb
« Reply #1607 on: <02-14-17/2254:56> »
Ok chummers, can regeneration heal biofeedback damage? I would think it would fall under neurologic damage and be exempt?
Looking at a player with a dwarven decker using immortal flower.

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #1608 on: <02-16-17/0507:02> »
If I may interrupt, chummers...

Resonance [Program]: This echo lets you copy the effects of one common or hacking program (p. 245). Can be taken once per type of program

This Echo is from the basic rulebook but now there are more programs available in Data Trails. Can you use these program effects from Data Trails as well with the Echo Resonance Program? Would be very useful with the one that boosts your Sleaze attribute by +1 to 5 while causing static as well. ::)
A program is a program, so yeah, why not?
The page number shouldn't confuse you, they could hardly anticipate on which page in which unnamed book they'll put further progs.

Ionic

• Newb
  • *Hack the planet*
« Reply #1609 on: <04-16-17/0557:26> »
Another one:
Can I stack the transgenic trait "Synaptic Accelerator" from Bodyshop (+1 Ini. +1 D6) with the Physical Adept power of "Improved Reflexes" to gain 5D6 Initiative?
I am unsure whether transgenic enhancements are technical enhancements or if only bioware and cyberware implantation counts?
Thanks

Darrek Workman

• Newb
« Reply #1610 on: <05-03-17/0053:04> »
Questions

1. Can you power bleed essence drain and use that to permanently buff your character's essence?

2. Can a spirit use endowment to give another character endowment? Say, a critter has an interesting ability and some smart alec thinks to summon a spirit to given the critter endowment and then convince the critter to give the character the critter's ability with endowment?

3. Power Foci also add dice to enchanting pools, so could a mage create a power foci and use it to create a better foci?

4. Spirit pact and hidden life combined with endowment: could a mage make a spirit with spirit pact or hidden life give the spirit power to his ally spirit and then have his ally use the power on/with him?  Would the spirit pact or hidden life end when the endowment wears off?

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #1611 on: <06-15-17/0935:06> »
Lockpick set: These mechanical burglary devices have undergone only slight improvements in the last several centuries. They are necessary tools for picking locks.

This confuse me quite a bit...
my concern is: Is "lockpick set" real device?
Can it be hacked? Can Analysis Device spell have effects on it?

Or is the "device"  just another error?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1612 on: <06-15-17/1337:44> »
Lockpick set: These mechanical burglary devices have undergone only slight improvements in the last several centuries. They are necessary tools for picking locks.

Its a device in the sense that it is an actual physical object. Most lockpick sets are slim bars of hardened steel that are manually manipulated to depress the timblers in a lock.....

So there is no real moving parts or electronic parts..... which limits the effect of things like  analyize device... or even hacking (again, because its essentially just a hunk of metal).

Also note that lockpicks only work on mechanical locks. So things like a maglock can not be opened with lockpicks. (Just as an ordinary padlock can not be opened with a matrix test)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Bald Man

• Chummer
« Reply #1613 on: <06-16-17/1349:46> »

Its a device in the sense that it is an actual physical object. Most lockpick sets are slim bars of hardened steel that are manually manipulated to depress the timblers in a lock.....

So there is no real moving parts or electronic parts..... which limits the effect of things like  analyize device... or even hacking (again, because its essentially just a hunk of metal).

Also note that lockpicks only work on mechanical locks. So things like a maglock can not be opened with lockpicks. (Just as an ordinary padlock can not be opened with a matrix test)

I don't see why Analyse Device Spell wouldn't work.  As far as I can tell it would work on a knife or sword.  It should wok on lockpicks. 
Arguably, it would work better on lockpicks than most other equipment because of the relatively low Object Resistance.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #1614 on: <07-30-17/1004:00> »
One minor issue:
According to the Range Table (p. 185), the Missile Launcher has a minimum range of 20m. However, according to the Street Gear (p. 435), the minimum range is 10m.

So...which one is valid?

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1615 on: <07-30-17/1502:10> »
One minor issue: According to the Range Table (p. 185), the Missile Launcher has a minimum range of 20m. However, according to the Street Gear (p. 435), the minimum range is 10m. So...which one is valid?

I'd say 20m, since 10m isn't enough distance to be safely outside the blast radius.

marfish

• Newb
« Reply #1616 on: <07-31-17/0840:06> »
One minor issue: According to the Range Table (p. 185), the Missile Launcher has a minimum range of 20m. However, according to the Street Gear (p. 435), the minimum range is 10m. So...which one is valid?

I'd say 20m, since 10m isn't enough distance to be safely outside the blast radius.

well, the save distance for grenade launchers was only about 5m, which was not outside the blast radius either.

Youneko

• Newb
« Reply #1617 on: <09-25-17/0717:16> »
Well, I have a question about the view of Matrix, both in AR and VR.
Is the connection between a Persona and his/her PAN visible in Matrix?

Or to be more sepcific, will the icon of PAN float around a Persona (running on a device which is the master of the PAN) in VR;
and will the PAN be beneath the Persona on the floating screen (despite of various UI) ?

HP15BS

• Chummer
« Reply #1618 on: <10-10-17/0418:56> »
(Tangentially connected to Youneko's query above)

1)
Rigger 5.0, pg 30 states "All of the following actions are Matrix action.  Yes, you can use them if you're not a rigger."  Yet, the language of many of those electronic warfare matrix actions seem to heavily imply that they can only be used by an RCC.

For example, Target Device says:
"Pick a wireless enabled device you've spotted on the Matrix.  You can target that device and feed targeting data to any pilot program or person with a Sensor rating or smartlink that is slaved to your RCC."

- So can you, in fact, use these matrix actions with a deck or a comm? 
If not, then why not?  What would enable an RCC to find / calculate / share targeting data it acquired by electronic warfare vs a Matrix icon, that a deck or comm would lack?

I suspect the true answer to the above is that comms and decks can in fact target anything that has an icon, and that this is partially due to the way that the Matrix overlays with the physical world.    This brings me to my second query of the day:

2)
Considering how AR Fashion is a thing that exists, combined with how pg 221 of Core's fluff states "... and the people walking down the street are occasionally highlighted by glowing auras--nice blue ones representing your friends, glaring red ones telling you that someone you know and should be avoiding is coming close,"   it seems pretty clear to me that you should be able to highlight a device's icon with an ARO, then anyone who has eyes on the physical world counterpart should be able to see that ARO highlighting the device itself as it moves around in the meat.

(Of course, this is very different from the Trace User action because it doesn't actually give you any kind of gps data. Instead, you (or someone you're sharing AROs with) have to physically be within AR range of the device in order to see it.   This is largely a quick and easy way to share data with your team about which person running around in front of you needs to be in your crosshairs, etc.)
« Last Edit: <10-10-17/1301:28> by HP15BS »
To Deckers the Foundation really is a crazy place from Alice in Wonderland. How does that stuff just happen? How do they work when everything about them defies logic?
Then a Techno comes, high 5's Caterpillar, takes a swig of Mad Hatter's tea, & wanders away chatting up White Rabbit.
- Marcus Gideon

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #1619 on: <10-10-17/1842:35> »
@Youneko Think of a PAN as jewelry or the stuff you carry in a pocket like your keys or wallet. It is there but maybe not instantly apparent at first glance. Generally speaking this is the observe in detail action to find out what the PAN is about.

Knowing that some persona has one is trival, like "that man has a watch", anything else is detail.

@HP15BS

1: RAW the action is only doable by an RCC in your example. But that is contradictory to the bit on page 30 and the general tone of the section. Check with your GM/Table but i think there is sufficient intent for a different call to be reasonable. That said i could see RCC's with there focus toward data sharing and group actions being substantially better at it. But i can do exactly the action in question with my smartphone right now(associate a given digital entity with real world factors). Pokemon Go anyone? I'm mightily unimpressed if AR heavy shadowrun can't manage a basic AR principle if someone has the right skills(EWAR) to make it happen.
Note:Other considerations aside performing the action itself appears doable with any device, you just require an RCC to share the results. Which renders the action moot by RAW not unable to be performed.

2: The tables i play we allow such headsup display style info to be shared around. But the caveat is that such info is only as reliable as the person generating the ARO. Your matrix expert mis ID's the Johnson and suddenly your twitchy Sam has butchered your meal ticket. Forget to meticulously update/maintain your personal IFF? Guess the pizza delivery kid that you stiffed on the tip and where avoiding in embarrassment deserved to die.
Additionally keep in mind the penalties involved with AR for perception. And the fact that most magicals will forgo AR because tech interferes with casting, and rare is the mage with eyeball 'ware.