NEWS

Keeping track of ammo

• 66 Replies

FraustyTheSnowman

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <02-04-12/1636:24> »
When I GM I lean more toward keeping track, but it ultimately depends on the type of game I'm going for and what the players want to play. If it's a one shot deal I'll let things slide, but for an angoing campaign that I'm going to spend a lot of time on, I'm going to constantly edge people toward keeping track. Back when I played regularly most of the guys a ran with were pretty into guns in real life, and wanted the game to be more realistic, so yeah, we kept track of every bullet, every clip, where it was stashed on you or in your safe house, even to the point that people would declare they were emptying clips and putting the bullets in fresh clips so the springs wouldn't get messed up from being compressed all the time. The changing the clips thing out was their idea, but knowing what you had and where was mine. I grew up/cut my RPG teeth on Dark Sun, so managing limited resources has always been sorta second nature. The last time I played, it was me and some guys playing a one shot as everyone happened to be in town for christmass, and there was no keeping track whatso ever.

As a player, I have a seperate sheet of paper (normally a few) to keep notes durring the game. NPC names, locations we go to, objectives for the mission, stuff I pick up and stuff I use along the way. This is where I keep track of ammo/clips. At the end of the session, I go through and update the original character sheet and either crumple and toss the scratch sheet, or if there's room use it again for next session.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <02-04-12/2017:50> »
When I GM I lean more toward keeping track, but it ultimately depends on the type of game I'm going for and what the players want to play. If it's a one shot deal I'll let things slide, but for an angoing campaign that I'm going to spend a lot of time on, I'm going to constantly edge people toward keeping track. Back when I played regularly most of the guys a ran with were pretty into guns in real life, and wanted the game to be more realistic, so yeah, we kept track of every bullet, every clip, where it was stashed on you or in your safe house, even to the point that people would declare they were emptying clips and putting the bullets in fresh clips so the springs wouldn't get messed up from being compressed all the time. The changing the clips thing out was their idea, but knowing what you had and where was mine. I grew up/cut my RPG teeth on Dark Sun, so managing limited resources has always been sorta second nature. The last time I played, it was me and some guys playing a one shot as everyone happened to be in town for christmass, and there was no keeping track whatso ever.

As a player, I have a seperate sheet of paper (normally a few) to keep notes durring the game. NPC names, locations we go to, objectives for the mission, stuff I pick up and stuff I use along the way. This is where I keep track of ammo/clips. At the end of the session, I go through and update the original character sheet and either crumple and toss the scratch sheet, or if there's room use it again for next session.

*with a troll-face on* Don't you mean mags?   :P  ::)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <02-04-12/2020:08> »
Don't get me started.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FraustyTheSnowman

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <02-05-12/0029:48> »
*shrugs* Everyone thinks they're elite.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #34 on: <02-05-12/1259:45> »
*shrugs* Everyone thinks they're elite.
I think I'm far, far from it, actually.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #35 on: <02-08-12/1649:05> »
No, it's just that the mags vs clips debate/discussion is one that tends to go out of control (and has) here many times before. Lets not go there this time, for all our sanity (and to avoid thread lock) OK?
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <02-08-12/1811:30> »
No, it's just that the mags vs clips debate/discussion is one that tends to go out of control (and has) here many times before. Lets not go there this time, for all our sanity (and to avoid thread lock) OK?
I'm going to get started soon.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #37 on: <02-08-12/2205:40> »
yeah right,
right after a few sessions of actually PLAYING shadowrun?
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <02-08-12/2246:44> »
yeah right,

I'm going to go to my corner and cry now.   :'(  Thanks.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #39 on: <02-08-12/2337:46> »
yeah right,

Big meany. :P

Everyone gets cookies, EXCEPT Beowulf!
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #40 on: <02-08-12/2346:25> »
good,

dear gods do i NOT need them.

besides, cookies don't go well with hefeweizen
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <02-09-12/2054:11> »
I'm planing to make some laminated cards for guns So I can fill in it's stats as well as what types of ammo I have with me and how many mags of each with a dry erase marker . they would look some thing like this

Gun:    Dam:  AP:  Mode:  RC:

Ammo:   DM:  AP:
 Shots:OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO
 Clips: OOOOO OOOOO

For example a card for the standard Predator might look like this

Predator IV  Dam: 5P AP: -1  Mode: SA  RC:0

Ammo

Standard 
   Shots: OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO
   Clips::   OOOO

Explosive  DM: +1 AP: 0
   Shots:  OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO
  Clips    OOOO

Every time I fire a shot, I fill in one of the "O" s, and once I empty a clip I fill in one of those "O"

The actual card would have more "O" then shown and extra ones would be all ready filled in or just crossed off.

PerthGM

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <02-18-12/0256:59> »
I found ammo isnt a major issue, generally only a few shot are fired here and there strategically unless its a major battle and then I issue the players with columns of 1 x 1 LEGO bricks that they surrender per shot when they shoot.
The bigger issue I found was collected assets, I just recently made them sit down and tally their accumulated assets, to which they discovered they had between them about 30 half used stealth lines and about 50 catalyst sticks!

ShadowChaser13

• Newb
  • Find your own truth
« Reply #43 on: <03-09-12/1140:00> »
The easiest method of ammo tracking i've found is using poker chips.  Each player sets apart different stacks for each clip and when they shoot they throw the ammo used in a bowl.  counting the chips is a simple action as per 1st-3rd edition rules firearms are equipped with digital ammo count readouts. sg link also tracks all ammo usage.
makes the combat smoother, and my player like pretending to "load" their clips while discussing final mission prep.
hope that helps your games!

SC13
Watch your back,
Shoot straight,
Conserve ammo,
And.....

SC13

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <03-09-12/1244:40> »
Again, I think it is raw silliness to micro-manage the tracking of ammo. It is NOT that big a deal, and it is NOT a "key element of the game" to do so. 
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen