NEWS

High armor PC's

• 253 Replies

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« on: <09-09-10/1414:23> »
I posted this on someone's blog when they said they had a problem with a tank with high armor. It was one of many thoughts i had about dealing with a tank player with out dooming him to a messy death and adding somthing to the plot line.

The situation is a ork player with Armor of 20+, he seems to be causing the GM some trouble with his camapaign.

I would create a situation that involves the creature Incubus with a Earth spirit. It would take some battle field control on your part to separate the party a little on a run though. But this could prove to be a very funny and humbling experience for our sweet Ork.

I would plan it with in a Corp office run, allow the runners to try to make it through with stealth and a good run plan. But if they trip the alarm then it is time for a controlled response from a NPC mage/ head of security at that site. I will use the name Mordath, who will have great physical security typical of most corps in place. But he will also have several contingency plans to deal with different Runners and their abilities.

One of them will include our Incubus, to set it up have several wagemages cast barrier spells to split off our tank from the party. Open the needed door, and inside will be a caged Incubus about 15 feet of the ground in a bullet proof glass cage. than have one or two earth elementals stationed nearby. The incubus will use its Desire Reflection and the spirits will use it’s binding power. You will then have an ork tripping out of his mind  and stuck to the ground. Mordath, that bastard elf will have some sort of knock out gas to give the incubus and then some guards will come in and cuff old big and nasty.

Now we get into other party story mode, we have a team mate capture while they should be forced to leave…..maybe some drones firing rubber pellets at a high volume will convince them. They will either have to try to get the companion back, while our dandilion eater is having his merry way getting information/ trying out new tech/drugs on our not so free roaming tusker.

This NPC can be a one shot dude, or a bastard that re appears to slot off the party for games to come. maybe moving up the old corp ladder  I hope this was useful,Take care enjoy your day.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/1740:30> »
You can always use magic (it doesn't need to kill)

You can go with a big enough problem that gets him knocked out policecorp security show up arrest him take the gear he is later tossed out the armor is excessive so it stays.

Nothing saying the player can't rebuy it but that takes nuyen

Use the rules in arsenal (I think) armor wear an tear if he don't have armorer it breaks sooner or later.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Twistedsavant

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-10/1052:22> »
It's mean. It's Cruel and Sadistic. (But then so is your plot) but You could simply try at "Destroy *armor* Spell. Even if he has 10 pts or so of internal/cybernetic armor due to implants and such Halving it is going to put a serious crimp in Mr. Bulletproof's day.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-10/1750:48> »
And Acid spells or the like lots of ways for the GM to destroy armor do it enough he may say screw it an go with less due to nuyen shortage.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-10/1804:22> »
You could electrocute him, set him on fire, aim for the face, use levitation to hurl into the air then drop him, hurl explosives at him.  There are lots of ways of dealing with excessive armor.  Hell, hit him with a large truck.  I don't care how armored you are, you get hit by 10 tons of speeding metal, you're not getting up.  At least, not at first.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-10-10/1808:52> »
You could electrocute him, set him on fire, aim for the face, use levitation to hurl into the air then drop him, hurl explosives at him.  There are lots of ways of dealing with excessive armor.  Hell, hit him with a large truck.  I don't care how armored you are, you get hit by 10 tons of speeding metal, you're not getting up.  At least, not at first.
For a second I thought you were talking about what I did to the Stormtroopers in Force: Unleashed.

Here's an idea... Have a supersoaker/Ares Squirt drench him in sugar water, then drop a case of fire ants on him.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #6 on: <09-10-10/1810:48> »
Fire ants, nice.

You could also spray him with nanotech.  I can't think of a specific one right off, but I'm pretty sure there are at least a few that would ruin his day.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #7 on: <09-10-10/1811:38> »
Now thats evil!
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-11-10/0506:57> »
Imho, the question is: "WHAT type of problem does he have?" The best solution could also be simply talking to the player(s)...
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #9 on: <09-11-10/0824:03> »
For a second I thought you were talking about what I did to the Stormtroopers in Force: Unleashed.

Here's an idea... Have a supersoaker/Ares Squirt drench him in sugar water, then drop a case of fire ants on him.

I am partial to the Squirt laced with DSMO and *insert drug of choice here*

;D

Used it to solve a rampaging troll problem once.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-11-10/2038:52> »
You always use mana spells on the troll errr I mean the tank ork yeah that is the ticket.

Doesn't matter how much armor you have when the mage casts stunbolt.   :)

A smart character will beat feet long before they are knocked out and may learn (though we are talking about an ork here) that stealth is a runner friend 
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-12-10/1041:30> »
Remember that even if they have lots of armor, and can mitigate even large hits to the stun track, that enough bullets will kill ANYONE.  Regardless of what armor they are wearing.

Remember, "If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it."
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-12-10/1533:22> »

Sir, that is absolutely wicked.  Sounds like this happened from experience!  I'd love to hear the story.

OP:  Another idea is explosives/grenades.  Also, are you using encumbrance rules?

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-12-10/1601:17> »
For characters with high strength and body the encumbrance rules don't slow down the armor stack much especially when you use form fitting armor and the piece by piece add on armor.

Explosives though they use the impact armor often still won't penetrate a heavily armored character's "hide"

I still stand by my montra of always hit the troll (ork, or other heavily armored character) with the mana spells.
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #14 on: <09-12-10/1614:44> »
Remember, "If brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough of it."
I concur, sir.

Explosives though they use the impact armor often still won't penetrate a heavily armored character's "hide"
If he's so heavily armored wouldn't anti-vehicle explosives work?