NEWS

A diamond in the rough....

• 37 Replies

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-26-12/2149:36> »
Yeah, thank god dikote was removed from the game... it was so silly when it was basically put on everything.

I just assume it's a standard feature anymore and hope it never gets published ever again....

As for the reason it'd be useful on electronics.

Diamond is both a highly efficient conductor of heat (with it's crystal phonon lattice).   But unlike most thermal conductors it's also an insulator and a very good one at that.   So the problem you run into with trying to cool many things is you need to have electrically conductive structures close to sensitive electronics which causes huge EMI problems.  Fun with material's science!

_Pax_

« Reply #16 on: <05-26-12/2159:33> »
Of course, one rather important thing a lot of people didn't realise with Dikote is: it lays the film down via a high-temperature plasma.  So anything that can't survive being put in an oven and baked at 500F, can't take a Dikote treatment and survive.  Which means, you didn't dikote the ENTIRE circuit board.  Instead, you dikoted each individual chip, before they were mounted on said board.  :)

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #17 on: <05-26-12/2325:19> »
hence having a decker with an ungodly electronics B/R skill
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <05-27-12/0147:49> »
I want to Dikote the exterior of a Jackrabbit now.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

_Pax_

« Reply #19 on: <05-27-12/0226:46> »
My favorite was the dikoted flechette ammunition I kept a clip or two of, for my slivergun.  Darned expensive ammunition, but boy howdy, was it nice to have the option ...!  ^_^

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-27-12/1213:51> »
just wow,

though i guess if you really needed to get something on the space station for opening a few holes, that might pass the security screening.
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

_Pax_

« Reply #21 on: <05-27-12/1239:32> »
Actually, the wee tiny flechettes fired by a slivergun would be highly unlikely to make holes in any space station hulls - even after dikoting them.

People, OTOH ... yeah.  really really REALLY good at making holes in them.   8) ;D

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <05-27-12/1353:11> »
ahh, though i wasn't assuming slivergun.

i was thinking something a bit larger (that wouldn't make it thru the security screening)

though it's been shown in various movies that diamonds work just as well for puncturing people when used in a shotgun.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <05-27-12/1825:46> »
Of course, one rather important thing a lot of people didn't realise with Dikote is: it lays the film down via a high-temperature plasma.  So anything that can't survive being put in an oven and baked at 500F, can't take a Dikote treatment and survive.  Which means, you didn't dikote the ENTIRE circuit board.  Instead, you dikoted each individual chip, before they were mounted on said board.  :)
I dont thing the chips whould surve it either.

_Pax_

« Reply #24 on: <05-27-12/1946:14> »
You know how most chips are put onto a circuit board?

Baked.  In an oven.  (So that the sauter melts properly.)

:)

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-28-12/2012:28> »
Just wanted to note that Sakura, the Lesbian Elf Ninja Stripper (LENS) from the StreetLegends Home Edition suppliment, has two Dikoted Katana.They're statted up like a normal Katana in all ways, so, that's probably the only place you'll see 'em. (Of course, she also has a Dikoted Ares Predator IV, because you can never have enough ninja bling.)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <05-28-12/2200:06> »
*Headdesk*  I knew I should have Dikoted those motorcycles in Burn.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

_Pax_

« Reply #27 on: <05-28-12/2220:34> »
Ha.

I had a few characters get the rails on their autoloader pistols dikoted; the GM asked me "why?  you're not getting any benefit form that", and I said "because it's supposed to be frictionless; that means, less work CLEANING the thing, and less lubcricant needed too".

:)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <05-29-12/0019:13> »
Also less likely to gather dirt and grit to jam the pistol up badly!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

_Pax_

« Reply #29 on: <05-29-12/0052:27> »
Essentially, yes: Level 1 Extreme Environment modification from Arsenal ... a whole edition early.  :)