NEWS

Yes, another thread about Immortal Elves

• 42 Replies

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« on: <05-23-14/2214:30> »
All the talk about Immortal Elves has me thinking: How do you tell if your friend Dave The Elf is immortal versus Joe Metaplot?

Mechanically, the main difference between any old immortal elf and the likes of us is the immunity to age, disease, and toxins.

Which means the obvious way to tell if Dave is immortal or not is to try and kill him with poison and see if it sticks. Talk to a doctor before doing this. Or not. You might not like Dave.

How else might you tell if a particular elf is immortal?
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

martinchaen

« Reply #1 on: <05-23-14/2223:13> »
Are any of the immortal Elves mundane? 5 hits on an Assensing test would do it, as they're bound to have a he'll of a magic score if history is any indication.

Other than that, spend ... X years with them. When you hit 80, they'll look the same, as they always have, no?

How about... Asking them :-)

How any immortal Elves are there, anyway?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <05-23-14/2257:21> »
All the immortal elves are magicians, I believe. As for how to tell if an elf is an immortal elf or not? Unless they are one of only maybe a dozen elves on the face of the planet, they aren't. But to know for sure, see how the founders of the Tirs treat them, and you'll get a clue. Oh, and just waiting 80 years or so won't do jack, since even normal elves have a life span of several centuries.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #3 on: <05-23-14/2329:49> »
Are any of the immortal Elves mundane? 5 hits on an Assensing test would do it, as they're bound to have a he'll of a magic score if history is any indication.
Ah ah ah...Masking.

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <05-24-14/0028:59> »
Ah ah ah...Masking.

This is why I'm suggesting poison.

And a cutout.

Maybe two.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-24-14/0037:31> »
According to the reply in my thread there are 24 immortals including one human currently canon wise and I believe they can identify immortal elves at least due to specific genetic markers. Although thsis raises the question who would the racist elves treat a human looking immortal elf.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #6 on: <05-24-14/0106:03> »
According to the reply in my thread there are 24 immortals including one human currently canon wise and I believe they can identify immortal elves at least due to specific genetic markers. Although thsis raises the question who would the racist elves treat a human looking immortal elf.

I have to imagine there are probably a few thousand IEs...or were. Maybe Sirrurg killed a lot of them.

But I read a post by Ancient History and Frank Trollman, and they were talking about how most of the elven population was only 18 when the Tirs were founded. Tír na nÓg could have gotten away with having few IE's seeing how they had a pretty bloodless secession from Britain. But Tir Tairngire had a rather violent clash with the Salish-Shidhe Council. And I highly doubt that an army of children would have been able to hold off the SSC military. So I assume that Tir Tairngire had a pretty decent population of IEs, at least a few hundred.

And I'd imagine that what IEs were left were more than happy to have their own nation back, at least at first. Obviously politics ate them away from the inside and caused the whole mess to fall apart, and probably scattering the disenfranchised IEs and reminded them why the 4th World sucked. But that's only me guessing.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #7 on: <05-24-14/0116:02> »
That brings up a question... Does Tir na nOg have all of its territory back yet? Because the last time I looked at that myth, the entirety of the British Isles were well inside their domain. And the Celts extended quite a bit into Western Europe. So right now, they could only be holding a fraction of what was once their's.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #8 on: <05-24-14/0132:11> »
Although thsis raises the question who would the racist elves treat a human looking immortal elf.
You seem really hung up on this, dude.  Seriously, just talk to your GM and tell him you don't want your character to die of old age, ever, and figure out what will work in your game.
I have to imagine there are probably a few thousand IEs...or were.
I don't think there's much in the text to support that kind of imagination.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-24-14/0205:29> »
Just see if they mix their 80's pop-culture references with Milton quotes in a smugly arrogant self-referential way.
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-24-14/0457:03> »
All of the known IEs except Aina and Urdli are caucasian (Caucasian caucasian, given the location of Barsaive). Aina was arguably the most powerful and oldest alongside Alachia. Urdli ... I don't think they even know how to deal with him. But they've all generally been around long enough that they don't give a shit about physical appearance. The average elven height hasn't changed between ED and SR, but humans have evolved in the last several millennia to the point that there are countries where the average adult height exceeds that of the average elf height. This is like asking how an IE would react to someone whose hair is bright pink (Though I do like that the Awakening diversified natural metahuman hair and eye colors).

I have to imagine there are probably a few thousand IEs...or were. Maybe Sirrurg killed a lot of them.

But I read a post by Ancient History and Frank Trollman, and they were talking about how most of the elven population was only 18 when the Tirs were founded. Tír na nÓg could have gotten away with having few IE's seeing how they had a pretty bloodless secession from Britain. But Tir Tairngire had a rather violent clash with the Salish-Shidhe Council. And I highly doubt that an army of children would have been able to hold off the SSC military. So I assume that Tir Tairngire had a pretty decent population of IEs, at least a few hundred.

And I'd imagine that what IEs were left were more than happy to have their own nation back, at least at first. Obviously politics ate them away from the inside and caused the whole mess to fall apart, and probably scattering the disenfranchised IEs and reminded them why the 4th World sucked. But that's only me guessing.
Your imagination is wrong. Your guess is wrong. And AH and FrankTrollman are, of course, wrong.

If only there were books that contained histories of those nations' founding ...
« Last Edit: <05-24-14/0506:08> by Crimsondude »

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-24-14/0553:48> »
I actually wasn't talking the immortal elves view at all. I got the impression from what the previous poster said that they're looked up to and i was wondering (completely unrelated to my other thrread) how the groups of racist elves I've seen hinted at in several books would view a human looking (no point ears or the like) who they normally look down on if they knew/thought they were an immortal elf. Which would win out prejudice or veneration.?

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <05-24-14/0718:14> »
Somewhere I read the immortal elf gene was recessive.

Do we have a source for that?

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <05-24-14/0741:51> »
But I read a post by Ancient History and Frank Trollman, and they were talking about how most of the elven population was only 18 when the Tirs were founded.
And AH and FrankTrollman are, of course, wrong.

If it refers to the post I think it does, Frank Trollman pointed out the oldest living regular elves were just 18 when the Sinseareach tribe was founded in the Salish-Shidhe in 2029, and 24 when Tir Tairngire was established. They also remarked those elves would be 43 years old at the time the Tir Tairngire sourcebook is set, making the point on how elves never retires from their job positions meaningless. All of which is true (check, 2029-2011=18, 2035-2011=24, 2054-2011=43).

There were "spike babies" born before that would be older, but Tir Tairngire is written with the assumption that their existence was a secret and that the entire number of those Sean Laverty could find in North America would fit into a big house. The Tir na nOg sourcebook, on the other hand, makes Liam O'Connor birthdate in 1979 is a public fact as early as 2015.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-24-14/1008:33> »
Oh, sure, they got the age thing right.
« Last Edit: <05-24-14/1026:39> by Crimsondude »