NEWS

Easily Missed Rules

• 31 Replies

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #15 on: <05-27-14/1933:41> »
I get the technical point being made, but does anyone seriously thingk you're not supposed to add attribute boost (str) to melee damage? 

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-27-14/2008:51> »
I'm conflicted about it, since +1 melee DV is roughly the same as +3 melee attack dice, and getting the equivalent of +6 dice for 0.25 PP seems a bit much.
« Last Edit: <05-27-14/2121:39> by ZeConster »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-27-14/2101:22> »
Yeah, it would get pretty ridiculous pretty quick if it added to DV.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Sir_Prometheus

« Reply #18 on: <05-27-14/2222:18> »
Yeah, ok, but you can only have +4 total.  Also, 1 more DV is not the same as 3 hits, cuz hitting in the first place is still pretty imporatnt.  Anyway, main point is, Str = dmg.  You add to you str, it adds to you dmg, you add to your agi, it adds to your chance to hit, which can also add to dmg.....but it's not like 1 str = 3 agi, far from it. 

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-27-14/2311:23> »
While it isn't exactly the same as +3 dice, due to hit chance and Edge (which is why I said "roughly"), there are skills which use Strength and therefore benefit from dice-only Attribute Boost [Strength]. Since 0.25PP will typically get you +2 for 4 Combat Turns, having it affect melee damage seems a bit much.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <05-28-14/0405:53> »
Yeah, it would get pretty ridiculous pretty quick if it added to DV.
On the other hand, you can't melee-attack in the Action Phase where you use Strength Boost. But gents, it's a possible houserule, let's keep the arguments for there.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #21 on: <07-02-14/2039:39> »
This is awesome! So helpful. Hopefully they will use this/add this when compiling the official FAQ.
Keep up the good work and Thank you!
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

LadyQuiris

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <07-04-14/1047:51> »
omg thanks for posting this... being brand new to this edition (I got my 5th edition book yesterday in the mail) and all I've read so far is up to the start of character creation and I was confused on the metatype Priority column with the numbers next to the metatype and you explaining this means Special Attribute Points helped a lot. :)

I'll be sure to refer to this thread a few times I'm sure as I learn the game.

Tziktzal

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <09-30-14/1304:40> »
Thanks for the compilation.

I get that this is about overlooked rules, so i would not be terribly surprised if I somehow missed the section, but where do you find anything about losing sustained spells when unconscious? Is it stated anywhere that sustaining requires concentration? I can only find that it results in a dice pool modifier for all tests.

On page 32 SG you can find that turning on/off a passive adept power takes a simple action.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <09-30-14/1825:33> »
It's not directly stated for spells, but it's mentioned for sustaining complex forms (and the spellcasting chapter seems to leave out a lot about sustaining that's already mentioned in the technomancer chapter), the "learning spells" section mentions "distractions from sustaining spells", the Critter Powers section mentions the "strain" that is normally involved with sustaining spells, and foci also turn off when you lose consciousness.

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-30-14/1849:12> »
I get the technical point being made, but does anyone seriously thingk you're not supposed to add attribute boost (str) to melee damage?
Based on the pp cost, I think yes, most everyone is going to think that. Though agility is cheesetastic for the cost, so I can see both sides.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #26 on: <09-30-14/1928:10> »
Strength Boost is on the list of possible houserules I want to make a topic about in the future, based on the other 3 boosts.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

GM_Clay

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <10-01-14/1200:21> »
Thank you, this is helpful!!! I'll be watching this. Good work.
--
"And the strong shall devour the meek's reward!"

Thefurmonger

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <01-05-15/1244:02> »
Augmented Maximum, like the magical abilities/spells that raise Attributes. This means that Drugs, by confirmed developer intent, ignore it.

My GM would like to see this post, anyone have a link?.... Please?

Mollari

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <01-13-19/0259:27> »
- Augmented Maximum: p94: This is your natural (unboosted) Attribute value + 4, NOT your racial maximum + 4. Note that this limit only applies to Augmentations ('Ware), and anything else that actively states they obey Augmented Maximum, like the magical abilities/spells that raise Attributes. This means that Drugs, by confirmed developer intent, ignore it.

Hey there Michael.

Awesome work, a few of these I didn't know about. Just wanted to get some clarification on your comment above regarding drugs (not a question around homebrewing which is for the other forum).

I'm very curious how you're interpreting drugs and augmented maximums.
My understanding is that drugs operate separately on a level of compatibility, not augmented maximums.

Compatibility

Basically all the augments note that they are incomparable with any other. eg. Muscle toner increases agility, but is incompatible with any augmentation that increases agility. Spells, augs, you're out of luck.
Drugs don't adhere to this and will stack with everything.

Augmented Max

Now this is a more interesting one. Running off the description on CRB P.94
First, when purchasing augmentations
such as cyberware and bioware, each attribute
rating (Mental and Physical) can only receive an
augmentation bonus of up to +4. If the attribute being
raised has not reached its natural maximum limit, the
attribute can be raised naturally with Karma; but at no
point can augmentations exceed the +4 bonus cap.

nowhere does it actually say that augments can raise an attribute above above the racial maximum. Interestingly, the wording implies that augmented maximums are designed to operate within the racial max.
There's only one example in the books I can find that shows augmented maximums allowing one to exceed the racial maximum, and that's the Drone Rigger archetype build CRB P.124 where reaction enhancers raises her reaction above the racial max.

So my questions are as follows:

1: Does drugs allow one to exceed the augmented maximum?
So if someone has their augmented max reached (eg. muscle augmentation 4), does Nitro let a player have a +6 Strength?

2: Do drugs allow one to exceed the racial maximum?
To my point above where it's really hard to actually nail down augmented maximums allowing a character to exceed the racial maximum, can drugs? I wonder if that would be the balancing point. Drugs may be compatible with everything, and may even allow the augmented max to be exceeded, but not beyond the physical limit of metatype.

It would be like a drug build achieving things that are at the peak of metathumanity, but not matter how juiced up they are, their bones aren't stronger, and their inherit limits remain.

« Last Edit: <01-13-19/0301:13> by Mollari »