NEWS

Need some Advice on Artwork

• 3 Replies

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« on: <09-15-22/1224:56> »
So, I'm working on this Shadowrun inspired piece of artwork for fun (and maybe my portfolio) but I've painted myself into a corner.  I have these three buildings (in the picture below they are the one with the explosion, the one right in front of the exploding building, and the building on the right just behind the walk bridge) that I need to put corporate names on.  Originally when I was working on it I had planned on making them all one Big Ten campus routine but the more I looked at the buildings the more I felt they didn't feel like a place that the Big Ten would stamp their logo on (I mean, they aren't skyrakers or anything).  So I had to start thinking - why would a security outfit for another "corp" respond to the explosion (I plan on having security running across that walk bridge)....they have to be connected somehow esp with the closeness. And then I remembered that not all Big 10 subsidiaries carry their parents logos.  So, went deep diving down a rabbit hole and came back with some ideas...

My problem is my knowledge of SR is tainting my view of what fits these buildings best so I need fresh eyes to help me out.  The following are the four Big Ten groups with a list of their subsidiaries that I think might work out...I need you all to point me at which one fits best to you.

Evo - NewYou, All41, and Perfect Fit (Formally the MetaErgonomics branch)
Renraku - Champion Financial, Architectural Dynamics, Hypersense
MCT - Takai Development Corp, Mayan Sol, American Family Financial
S-K - three of their financial subs that are probably a mix of tier 1 and 2 groups

What do you all seems to fit best? (Note picture is very much a WIP)

Thanks!

Dreamwalker

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-22/1733:25> »
I do like the neon-dark atmosphere of your picture, so I will drop my two cents in the hope it helps.

First off, to me the building has the appearance of an office complex, most likely tied to administration and/or financials. As such, quite a few of the subsidiaries you named would fit quite well. For Architectural Dynamics, however, I would (intuitively) expect a more eccentric architectural design.

So I had to start thinking - why would a security outfit for another "corp" respond to the explosion (I plan on having security running across that walk bridge)....they have to be connected somehow esp with the closeness.

However, I guess your thoughts revolve around who might plausibly respond to such a situation. I would tackle that question from a different angle: Given the recentness of the explosion, one option would be: no one. The event just occurred, and response takes time, so there may not be anyone on the scene yet. The streets might just be as deserted as they appear now.

That said, one could also assume, that prior events (e.g., a violent confrontation preceding the explosion) attracted attention and/or triggered alarms. In that case, multiple parties may show up to the party, independent of which corporation resides in the building:
  • Lone Star or Knight Errant could react in response to panic buttons being pushed in the general vicinity. They might also ward off larger sections of the area if prior events dragged out over time.
  • DocWagon may initiate an aerial high threat response due to clients signaling distress or life threatening conditions from inside the building.
  • One or more news outfits may show up early if they caught wind of what is happening.
  • Not all corps provide their own security. An outside security provider, such as Knight Errant, would be entitled to a response on premise.
  • Fire fighters may already be on the scene.
  • Random onlookers might even be the most common sight on the street.
In essence, I feel you have quite a lot of leeway as to the choice of the corporation and the responders, depending on how the story behind the explosion plays out in your mind. You may also want to convey an atmosphere of confusion, bickering and chaos resulting from unclear jurisdiction and general jumpiness.

Personally, I might opt for Hypersense, since tech companies make such a tempting target for corporate espionage (the name alone conveys an aura of high-tech). In my opinion, that caters well to the general atmosphere of Shadowrun.

One thing to keep in mind, might be the Shadowrun timeline. There is a chance that anyone of the named subsidiaries is gone by the time Horizon flourished.

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-22/2206:55> »
All the subsidiaries are taken from the current corp book so that isn't a problem. I do though see what you mean about the response to an explosion...hadn't thought that way - was mainly thinking of corp reaction...tunnel visioned. I am unsure though of random onlookers cause the buildings seem to lean towards a corp complex instead of something on the everyday street...though a few corp cogs could be about...things to think of...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <09-24-22/0103:32> »
All the subsidiaries are taken from the current corp book so that isn't a problem. I do though see what you mean about the response to an explosion...hadn't thought that way - was mainly thinking of corp reaction...tunnel visioned. I am unsure though of random onlookers cause the buildings seem to lean towards a corp complex instead of something on the everyday street...though a few corp cogs could be about...things to think of...

For what its worth, I get more of a "downtown" feel, than I do a "Corp Complex".

Corp complexes are generally more "orderly" then in the picture. Meaning they are thought out and laid out according design... its hard to explain, but generally complexes are built around a theme/function/process, meaning:

A Corp Refinery Complex would have the smelter and refinery close together (save on travel costs, and yes, there is travel costs even here!), followed by a casting house again close by (same reasons). Admin buildings would be grouped together, but away from production buildings. Worker support facilities would be located between production and Admin (wash cars, lunch rooms, medical, etc) for acess by both. Accommidations would be located opposite Admin (less noise and pollution).

As a general rule, the taller the building, the more production that must happen to cover the overall expense, this is because as a building gets taller, the upper floors get hotter (hot air raises remember), and thus more effort and energy must be put in to make the space usable... hence why you only find high raises in a downtown core, with the tallest groupings found in large cities... hence the "feel" of a downtown in the pic.

As such, there is no reason why you couldn't have competing corps on the buildings, as you would in any downtown... which also gives you room for your crowds, police, and first responders - heck you could even have competing corps first responders setting up control zones to STOP the other corps from coming too close! (Might make the picture too busy however).
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.