NEWS

Allergy Med Tolerance ≡ Addiction for mechanics?

• 5 Replies

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« on: <11-18-11/1637:53> »
Just a thought on something... given that there are some allergens (for example, Soy) that are not just common but incredibly pervasive in the Shadowrun universe, the people who have those allergies at higher levels would have to pop Zero constantly to avoid having to constantly deal with the nastiness.

Since people also develop tolerance to medications they have to take constantly, not just street drugs, would something like an Addiction: Zero trait be appropriate to show that a person on Zero would have to deal with increased dosages as their body builds up a resistance to the suppressant?
« Last Edit: <11-18-11/1639:38> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <11-18-11/1838:33> »
Of course. Zero reduces the tolerance of "other drugs", but it can still have tolerances built against it just like any other drug. Keep in mind that while Zero does reduce the penalties associated with an allergy, it doesn't prevent the damage dealt by the allergy. So your Soy allergy might not cause you to bloat up like a corpse in the bog, but your innards are still gonna be shredding themselves if you eat it.

I feel sorry for the poor soul that burns out completely just trying to keep himself from choking to death in the sprawl's smog.

I would argue that realistically you can build tolerances to Toxins too if you're exposed often enough (a narcojet junkie for instance), but by RAW only drugs are affected by Tolerance.

tzizimine

• Omae
  • Yes, I misspelled tzitzimeme...
« Reply #2 on: <11-21-11/2351:58> »
iocane powder anyone?
"When in doubt, cause trouble. When in trouble, cause doubt."

My Cheat Sheet in pdf

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-23-11/1311:40> »
Work at an allergy clinic, and I've always wondered how it was a negative quality that could possibly give you so much BP. I mean for most stuff like dust, and any allergen from the air you could just get allergy shots to minimize the deterent affect.

You could also use antihistamine medicines, (think benadryl for example) to reduce the effect if not eliminate it. Furthermore you could just be carrying an Epi Pen for the sever allergic reactions. Give yourself 0.3 cc's and your hearts pounding like you just ran a mile non stop. (It's not fun let me tell you) But your right as rain after that.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #4 on: <11-24-11/0000:43> »
Work at an allergy clinic, and I've always wondered how it was a negative quality that could possibly give you so much BP. I mean for most stuff like dust, and any allergen from the air you could just get allergy shots to minimize the deterent affect.

You could also use antihistamine medicines, (think benadryl for example) to reduce the effect if not eliminate it. Furthermore you could just be carrying an Epi Pen for the sever allergic reactions. Give yourself 0.3 cc's and your hearts pounding like you just ran a mile non stop. (It's not fun let me tell you) But your right as rain after that.

I think it's because all that stuff costs Nuyen to buy, especially in a distopian, corporate-dominated future where nothing's cheap or free.

Also, given the way it describes the effects, I think even the "Mild" version of an allergy would be "Severe" by real-world standards. The higher-end versions are more akin to werewolf vs silver type situations.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <11-24-11/1020:45> »
Furthermore you could just be carrying an Epi Pen for the sever allergic reactions. Give yourself 0.3 cc's and your hearts pounding like you just ran a mile non stop. (It's not fun let me tell you) But your right as rain after that.
I think it's because all that stuff costs Nuyen to buy, especially in a distopian, corporate-dominated future where nothing's cheap or free.
Given the way Pharma-Corps run roughshod over people in the name of profits today, think how bad it's got to be when they're their own countries?

My doctor gets pamphlets and information on new drugs all the time...  For medications he can't get in Canada, because the companies can make a hell of a lot more money in the US and limiting production, and thus making an artificial supply shortage at all times.  He's, um, less than pleased about that, shall we say.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11