Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Survey: Augmentations

<< < (2/5) > >>

Banshee:

--- Quote from: Dreamwalker on ---The German version appends a sentence, which translates as follows: The [Simsense Interface Overdrive] only works in conjunction with a control rig, hence only for rigging.

Effectively barring deckers and technomancers from this option for a (matrix-focused) intuition-enhancement. Very frustrating ...

--- End quote ---

Huh ..  well that is a straight out misinterpretation we clearly only limited it to VR and said nothing about control rigs

Typhus:
Simple, effective, and fun cyberlimbs.  The current rules really need simplification and improvement. 

For simplicity, I'd rather they start with stats equal to the user's baseline, and get modded from there.  For amping up the interest, I'd love to see special abilities you can't get other ways.  The original limbs were designed into the game 30 years ago, and really haven't changed much.  Meanwhile our conception of how this can work has changed a bit over the years.  Time for "neolimbs".  It can be a version that's "better" than the baseline ones, so long as their capabilities are better.  Then people can still have the old ones if they want, but for folks who just want something simple and always more powerful than their meat bod, cyberpunk style, they'd have a go-to option. 

Michael Chandra:
Special cyberlimb sets that allow one to move differently. o,o Raptor legs for fast running, gorilla leg+arm set for easy climbing, that kinda thing.

KarmaInferno:
I'd get rid of per-cyberlimb attribute increases entirely.

Have the limbs be always the same as the rest of the body. If you want to boost attributes, get one of the other attribute boosting pieces of 'ware. Muscle Replacement/Toner/Augmentation, etc. Fluff it so that the boost also gets integrated into the limbs in some way if you need to. At most perhaps get an Essence discount on the boosting 'ware per cyberlimb or part you already have.

At the very least make cyberlimbs start at whatever Agility and Strength the existing unaugmented attribute rating the host body has. Starting them at 2 and eating up a point of capacity for every point of attribute just makes cyberlimbs garbage compared to other types of attribute boost, especially since you have to buy it per limb and anytime you do a whole body action you lose all benefit from the cyberlimb attribute boosts.

Finstersang:
I wholeheartedly agree in regards to the Cyberlimbs. Right now, capacity is the biggest problem. If you want limbs with decent Agi and Strength values, thereīs hardly enough space left for interesting gadgets and weapons, especially if you go for realistic limbs. IMO the best way to fix the issue would be a return of Custom Cyberlimbs that start with higher base stats without giving up capacity.

Some more suggestions:

* Ware that helps against Magic! Theoretically, Cybering up heavily should already offer some benefits against Magic, but right now, itīs all limited to beneficial effects, i.e. itīs exclusively bad for the runner. Iīm thinking about headware that helps against mental manipulation and/or Probing (by "encrypting" your own thoughts, perpaps?) or Qualities that extend the effect on positive Healing spells to other spells.
* Regarding Qualities: A return of "Samurai Ways" for the Augmented (they existed back in 4th Edition!) would be really cool! They could work somewhat analogous to Adept "Ways" - granting bonuses for certain tests and Essence Discount for certain types for ware. Examples: Way of the Juggernaut (all the defensive stuff like Bone Augmentations, Dermal Plating), Way of the Hedonist (Senseware), The Interface (all the different "Jacks", Control Rigs, Move-by-Wire...) and even the literal Way of the Samurai (Speed enhancements, implanted Weapons...)
* Regarding 4th Edition: I dearly missed the more messed-up options like "Jarhead"-style Cyborgs or the "Dark Magic" Cyberzombies in 5th Edition - especially as a GM! Not every option has to be open (or "attractive") for the actual players. Sometimes, you just want to throw a -2.3 Ess. Troll with Cyberpsychosis and tank tracks for legs at the party and wreak havoc 8)
* Donīt skimp too much on "niche" ware! These are often way better to reflect a characterīs weird life choices and priorities than the big pieces of ware that everyone takes for the flat dice pool bonuses. A waste compartment (a.k.a. shit compressor) and Tremor Compensation are way more flavourful for an Ex-Military Sniper than just the boring olī Muscle-Toner/Wired Reflexes Combo ;)
* Incentives for obvious ware (besides the rule of cool). F.i. I remember the term "Exoware" from a fluff blurb in 5th Edition - ware that looks more crude and "cyberpunk", but is technically less invasive because more chrome is actually outside the body than inside. Could be implemented as an additional "grade" for certain types of Cyberware.

* A return of Geneware and Nanoware. And no constant "OK now the Monads will get u (:" gaslighting in regards to the latter! Buffed UCAS Senators however...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version