NEWS

katana: two handed?

• 86 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-29-13/1356:36> »
...  What would make you think it's a one-handed weapon, rules-wise?  Standard -2 penalty for one handed use would apply, by RAW.

I find it very disturbing how people here will use the descriptions of the items whenever it suits their purposes, but will make excuses not to go by a description if it goes against their view. This is a prime example--making use of the description for requiring the katana to be two-hand only while at the same time ignoring the lack of a page reference to the "don't tase me roll" on SnS ammo. Double standards are bad, people.

There is no page reference needed there.  That roll occurs as a direct result of dealing Electricity damage, because those are the rules for Electricity damage.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-29-13/1400:46> »
...  What would make you think it's a one-handed weapon, rules-wise?  Standard -2 penalty for one handed use would apply, by RAW.

I find it very disturbing how people here will use the descriptions of the items whenever it suits their purposes, but will make excuses not to go by a description if it goes against their view. This is a prime example--making use of the description for requiring the katana to be two-hand only while at the same time ignoring the lack of a page reference to the "don't tase me roll" on SnS ammo. Double standards are bad, people.

There is no page reference needed there.  That roll occurs as a direct result of dealing Electricity damage, because those are the rules for Electricity damage.

It's also ignoring that it does not but every other weapon of that nature does have the page reference. That is where the double standard of ignoring some descriptions and taking others to heart comes from.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-29-13/1404:16> »
It would have to explicitly state any exceptions from the standard rules for its damage type.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <04-29-13/1406:30> »
Indeed. Unless it is stated otherwise, the normal rules for that damage type apply. Just like how the Yamaha Sakura Fubuki states an explicit exception to the normal rules for recoil in its description.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-29-13/1407:03> »
Personally, I consider insistence on ignoring that lack when all others have the reference rather petty and think it's more because people don't like being proven wrong on their opinion of something being supposedly "over powered".

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <04-29-13/1412:17> »
And you chose to hijack this topic for making that argument why? Because to me it sounds like you're venting a personal disagreement on rule interpretations in a topic that doesn't need all that personal weight being dumped in it. The question is simple here: Is a katana one-handed or two-handed? You can argue over that answer, or you can argue over why people give the answers and whether they are hypocritcs, and personally at this point only the first option is something I'd consider fair. viaRailGun doesn't need to know about the constant disagreements between the big three.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <04-29-13/1415:46> »
And you chose to hijack this topic for making that argument why? Because to me it sounds like you're venting a personal disagreement on rule interpretations in a topic that doesn't need all that personal weight being dumped in it. The question is simple here: Is a katana one-handed or two-handed? You can argue over that answer, or you can argue over why people give the answers and whether they are hypocritcs, and personally at this point only the first option is something I'd consider fair. viaRailGun doesn't need to know about the constant disagreements between the big three.

Hijack nothing, I saw something that appeared to be a double standard, and I pointed it out.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #22 on: <04-29-13/1416:57> »
We'll just have to agree to disagree there as to what your actual motives are.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #23 on: <04-29-13/1612:45> »
public forums. gotta love'em  :)
Onward all you crystal soldiers.
Touch tomorrow, energize.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #24 on: <04-29-13/1800:50> »
In his two sword style, perhaps, but he actually only used that fairly rarely as I recall.
I'm grasping for the translation off hand, but I recall it being Two Heavens style. In his Book of Five Rings, he speaks of it being a waste of your hands (essentially) to use both of them for one sword, likening it to an unnatural movement for the body.

Speaking from first hand experience, even with wrist strengthening techniques and training; using a katana or similar weapon your movement is noticeably harder to control and less refined, not to mention a greater lack of strength and sturdiness. But japanese sword fighting is more similar to fencing than other more direct styles, in that you don't block hard you parry most blows that you otherwise could not dodge.

So rules wise, I think the -2 for wielding a two handed weapon one handed is apt, but I honestly think that should apply to any weapon that is classed as a sword. Knives are a different case because they're used in conjunction with grappling and don't rely on a wide swing radius and arm strength, so they need to be used one handed.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #25 on: <04-29-13/1832:18> »
these being "optional" advanced combat rules as stated in SR4. AR.

so when do i get to use:

Using One-Handed Melee Weapons
 A character may choose to use a one-handed weapon (Reach 0 or 1) with both hands to swing with more strength and power. This adds a +1 DV bonus to such attacks. Only weapons capable of being grasped with two hands may be used in this manner; knives and similar small weapons do not get any bonus when used in this way.
?

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #26 on: <04-29-13/1835:41> »
A knife or a dagger, at my table, used with a second hand for thrusting or for added weight to the blade would get the bonus, or an equal AP bonus or something similar. But in the sense that you're swinging it like a sword a knife or dagger would suffer and become clumsy.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #27 on: <04-29-13/1912:02> »

How did this get beyond "The rules say it is two-handed"?

Where does the "fluff" idea even come from?

It states, clearly, it is a two-handed weapon.

Because it isn't in a chart, it's "fluff"?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

viaRailGun

• Chummer
  • yipee ki yay...
« Reply #28 on: <04-29-13/1929:07> »

How did this get beyond "The rules say it is two-handed"?

Where does the "fluff" idea even come from?

It states, clearly, it is a two-handed weapon.

Because it isn't in a chart, it's "fluff"?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

i guess the idea stemmed from this fantasctic idea of a swordsman rendering his foes lifeless with the experienced used of katana/wakizashi techniques. but, no, this is SR not Lo5r.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #29 on: <04-29-13/1956:52> »
Dual wield regular swords that happen to be shaped like a katana/wakizashi or say screw it and go with the rule of cool.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada