NEWS

Run and Gun release date?

• 209 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #60 on: <02-22-14/2327:49> »
I didn't think about that, but yeah that would be pretty silly. "Haha!  You think you have the upper hand in this astral combat, but my body is wearing some pretty swag clothes right now!"

To be fair, you only get that bonus if they can see your suit. So if you were maybe fighting a manifested spirit, who can see both planes at once, and he gets a glimpse of you in the snazzy suit, he'll be like, "Damn, look how good that guy looks. He'll definitely be able to hit me harder with the awesome force of his personality now."

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #61 on: <02-22-14/2336:09> »
Fear the power of my bowtie focus!
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <02-23-14/0141:59> »
One thing that probably needs clarification just for the rules lawyers out there is the Social Limit hike. For Charisma-based magicians, this could impact their Astral limit, and I don't know about y'all but I think that is a little messed up.

Proposed errata/change to the document if the above is not the intent?

Change this line from the Social Limit section:
"Some pieces of armor raise the Social Limit of the wearer."
to
"Some pieces of armor raise the Social Limit of the wearer for the purpose of Social tests only."

Not really because it does specify Social Limit. In order for it to affect Astral Limit as well, it would need to state that it increases Charisma by <blah> for the purposes of calculating limits.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #63 on: <02-23-14/0651:08> »
I didn't think about that, but yeah that would be pretty silly. "Haha!  You think you have the upper hand in this astral combat, but my body is wearing some pretty swag clothes right now!"

To be fair, you only get that bonus if they can see your suit. So if you were maybe fighting a manifested spirit, who can see both planes at once, and he gets a glimpse of you in the snazzy suit, he'll be like, "Damn, look how good that guy looks. He'll definitely be able to hit me harder with the awesome force of his personality now."
Don't forget Tailored Pheromones: "Man, I smell GOOD! Let's rock this shizzle!"
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

ProfessorCirno

• Omae
  • The strongest! The smartest! The rightest!
« Reply #64 on: <02-23-14/2115:23> »
I'll admit I'm worried about Milspec armor being "Pretty much cannot be injured by any of the weapons in the core book."  Heavy milspec armor can take the heaviest rocket statted out in the game, right to the face, and will essentially shrug it off.  If the answer to that is to use even bigger and badder weapons in this book, then you've essentially made everything in the core book obsolete.

As for the wireless bonus, seems obvious enough: bragging rights  ;).  It's one thing to wear a suit, but you're broadcasting to the entire world: "Damn.  I.  Look.  GOOD."  When others see you normally, they see those nice clothes, and that lets you butter them up a bit better.  With wireless on, they see you aren't just wearing a classy Berwick suit, their AR tells them it's a custom made - not tailored after the fact - Berwick bought at the most expensive tailor in Seattle, made with non-synth materials, WITH Mortimer of London's official mark of approval on not just your clothing, but you, specifically.

The magic thing has always been sort of a weird cross thing between Charisma the Talky Stat and Charisma the Mental Power Stat.  If you want, view it this way: Magic is very literally bound to your belief, partially in yourself, and when you look good, you feel good, and when you feel good, you have that much more confidence  ;D

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #65 on: <02-24-14/0044:02> »
I'll admit I'm worried about Milspec armor being "Pretty much cannot be injured by any of the weapons in the core book."  Heavy milspec armor can take the heaviest rocket statted out in the game, right to the face, and will essentially shrug it off.  If the answer to that is to use even bigger and badder weapons in this book, then you've essentially made everything in the core book obsolete.

Disagree.  Check the availability of these milspec armors.  If your runners are kitted out with this stuff, then they deserve to have a great dragon attack them.  Or two.

The magic thing has always been sort of a weird cross thing between Charisma the Talky Stat and Charisma the Mental Power Stat.  If you want, view it this way: Magic is very literally bound to your belief, partially in yourself, and when you look good, you feel good, and when you feel good, you have that much more confidence  ;D

I agree.  I've always seen Charisma as a combination of lots of little things.  It's not just about how you look, but how you sway people.  And nothing sways people quite so much as confidence.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #66 on: <02-24-14/0623:38> »
MilSpec is heavily Forbidden and military equipment, so when a cop sees you with it, or a SINner for that matter, the first thing they do is run and while they're running they'll ask for the army to send in the big guns. And if a sniper sets up at half a mile distance and attacks with a Ranger Arms APDS with 4 net hits, even my heavily boosted Human Street Sam would take damage, nevermind that mage with 3 Body. And we haven't even brought in the vehicle guns, with helicopters spray-painting you with Vigilants or tougher stuff.

Short version: If you bring in military equipment and you aren't out in the middle of nowhere or the Barrens, expect for a military response. If you want to run anywhere else, you don't bring MilSpec and you don't face MilSpec.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #67 on: <02-24-14/0936:48> »
Corp security forces would wear mil spec wouldn't they? I think the description even mentions red samurai. So these really high numbers are going to be on the opposition. Now that I think about it I don't really have a problem with that. If the runners stick to the shadows like they are supposed too then it shouldn't be an issue.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #68 on: <02-24-14/0939:19> »
In the city? I don't think so, FBA at best. The very elite and any personel in military zones, perhaps. And even then you got to think cheap, the soldiers in WAR! all were walking around with light MilSpec.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #69 on: <02-24-14/1059:54> »
In the city? I don't think so, FBA at best.

Red Samurais are specifically mentioned to wear mil spec and those are exactly the guys quarding the kind of places runners are payed to hit.

And yes that means in the down town of Seattle.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #70 on: <02-24-14/1120:41> »
They're the Elite Security Forces, those wouldn't usually guard the places runners are paid to hit. When you start hitting places guarded by elite soldiers on a regular base, you're already quite more experienced than the general runner.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #71 on: <02-24-14/1127:00> »
MilSpec Armor
Finally gives the direct combat spellcasters something to cheer about...
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #72 on: <02-24-14/1134:41> »
Yeah, glad I got 5 Willpower and 4 Body myself, and even then I really want some Counterspellers on my side.

Just imagine, an entire squad of Red Samurai, taken out by a few manaballs.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #73 on: <02-24-14/1525:48> »
actually it would not be downtown but in the country of Renraku. Just teasing, back on topic.

I could see R and D facilities having a single small unit of red samurai to guard things that runner would be hired to take. I don't think there would be an entire building full of them but it would make since for them to be present in the archology like a swat team style backup for when the building is getting attacked or someone is trying to blitz the border crossing into the corps sovereign tiled floors. I don't think they would be decked out in heavy milspec but light I could easily see as do-able.

Red
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <02-24-14/1809:03> »
In the city? I don't think so, FBA at best.

Red Samurais are specifically mentioned to wear mil spec and those are exactly the guys quarding the kind of places runners are payed to hit.

And yes that means in the down town of Seattle.

I really don't think Red Samurai would be a normal standing security force at a facility.  HTR, perhaps, but HTR teams are not supposed to be something you can generally handle.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites