NEWS

SecureTechPPP and Full-Body Armor

• 5 Replies

Pericles

• Newb
« on: <05-29-18/1154:30> »
Hey all,
SecureTech PPP (Arms, Legs, and Vitals kits) don't stack with full-body armor. What actually counts as full body armor, though?  I'm sure things like security armor, Mil-Spec, etc...do.  What about high fashion armor clothing? Can I put on the kits over my Berwick suit when I know the bullets are about to fly? (And yes, I know that would look dumb but if it keeps my blood on the inside of my body, I'll deal.) 

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <05-29-18/1227:54> »
Realistically, it's up to your GM.  The intention is probably that you can't wear a kit on an area that's already armored.  The armored suits would cover most of your body, so you probably couldn't use any of the pieces.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <05-29-18/1308:44> »
Anything that can be modified to have a Chemical Seal. You can't Chemical Seal a Berwick Suit, I think, since it doesn't cover your face and everything. If it includes a Helmet as default component (so it actively goes 'it has a helmet' or 'you can buy an accompanying helmet'), it's Full Body, no? So a something Jump Suit for example.
« Last Edit: <05-29-18/1311:15> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <05-29-18/1339:48> »
I believe the armor section does delineate it. It refers to them as something Full Armor, Michael is correct the Chem seal is the easy to tell.
I think the list of full armor is something like, security armor, mil-spec, Biker armor, fake kill armor and various version space suits. 

If you're determined to do it, you can push soak rolls really high. I generally aim for around 20 dice, and I'm usually higher end of what most people think of as acceptable, though of course there notable exceptions.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-29-18/1350:41> »
Realistically, it's up to your GM.  The intention is probably that you can't wear a kit on an area that's already armored.  The armored suits would cover most of your body, so you probably couldn't use any of the pieces.

The PPP gives insight into how it's "supposed" to work in the example of the Armored Vest and Armored Jacket.  Based on interpreting what is a "vest" and "jacket" for game purposes from common language meaning: a wearer's vitals are already protected in both cases, and the arms in the latter's case.  Ergo when it says Armored Vests can benefit from PPP Arms but Jackets cannot, it's pretty reasonable to infer that if the body part is already armored, the "extra" armor doesn't stack. 

In the case of the fancy face armors, they're usually pretty clearly full body suits that happen to just look good as opposed to looking like armor.   A business/dress suit under common language would infer the torso, arms, and legs are all clothed and therefore armored.  Of course certain fancy armors have room for reasonable variation from this assumption... while a fancy armored dress probably isn't a miniskirt and thus the legs are armored, maybe the arms aren't.  Maybe the Greatcloak being a cloak covers the arms but only the vitals if the shot is ruled to come "from behind".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Pericles

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-29-18/1521:09> »
Thanks, all!