NEWS

Combat drones?

• 37 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <01-16-17/0619:03> »
Pff, just have the drone carry a package which contains the gun. Nothing suspicious about a delivery drone after all...
(The actual drawback with arms is the lost recoil compensation since you then have to use the same rules as meta humans)
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

IntrepidVector

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <01-16-17/0639:46> »
"Gun? What gun? This is… a, uh, beach umbrella I'm delivering."

Duellist_D

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <01-16-17/0848:06> »
Pff, just have the drone carry a package which contains the gun. Nothing suspicious about a delivery drone after all...
(The actual drawback with arms is the lost recoil compensation since you then have to use the same rules as meta humans)
Thankfully Gasvent3+Shockpads are easy remedies for that, so getting to the braking point of 6 RC is not much of a problem, even with very weak drones.
Only problem would be if you really like Machineguns.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-16-17/1012:12> »
Recoil shouldn't be a problem anyways if you're taking single shots with your sniper rifle, though when supporting your team using multiple attacks with a semi-automatic burst is a good option. That's part of the reason I'd recommend waiting until after chargen to install a sniper rifle onto a rotodrone; you'd also want to wait because a hidden sniper rifle mount is less suspicious than "delivering a beach umbrella". Since rotodrones with targeting autosoft and smartsoft, an Ares Desert Strike with an external smartgun system and tool kits for Hardware and Armory are all chargen-legal, I'd recommend picking them up with chargen money then installing them after your first session of play.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Neal Allen

• Newb
  • Why agility when levitate?
« Reply #19 on: <01-27-17/1534:28> »
 Either y'all have found an exception for the following rule, or ya'lls idiots.

Page 461 quotes "Weapon Mounts: Vehicles may be equipped with a number of weapon mounts equal to their augmented Body ÷ 3 (round down)."

And drone the size of a Lockheed or smaller cannot equip a weapon mount as their body (less than 3) divided by 3 would be (rounded down) zero weapon mounts. 

A eye-ball sized drone can't hold and fire an assault rifle.  Guys. 
Retired.
Frag off.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-27-17/1607:05> »
They're using the mod rules from Rigger 5.  They aren't putting the gun directly into the drone, they're putting an arm on the drone, essentially making it a quasi-anthrodrone.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <01-30-17/1344:29> »
Do what I did! Buy 5-10 Noizesquitos with Swarm and just make every fire fight a disco! :D NEGATIVES FOR EVERYONE!

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <02-05-17/0233:28> »
They're using the mod rules from Rigger 5.  They aren't putting the gun directly into the drone, they're putting an arm on the drone, essentially making it a quasi-anthrodrone.
Gun Arm that can open doors

maxcarrion

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <02-16-17/1059:04> »
My 0.02 NY

It's horses for courses and you need to consider where you want a drone to go and what you want it to do. 

An anthropomorph is fine for going in with the team and being an extra man but it can only go the places the sam can go and is no match for him in a fire fight. 

A Rotodrone isn't a great plan in tight corridors, touch a wall and your toast.  In open environments they're amazing though, especially with a rifle.

Horizon Eyes can fit a pistol and swarm, they can't conceal a pistol though, deadly but obvious

A Steel Lynx is a monster in a fight but you roll one down a street and everyone will wonder what the tank is doing.

Our current Rigger uses
1 Rotodrone with concealed rifle - this provides outdoor area control, sniper support , watches our exit etc. but blends in until the first shot is fired

5 Aztechnology Crawlers with a mix of Heavy Pistols and Tazers in concealed mounts (one has a cyber hand) w/ gecko grips on the feet - these act as scouts, go through air ducts, under floors, under vehicles, hanging onto moving vehicles, straight up the outer walls of buildings all those hard to reach places that runners can't go.  They flank, they surprise, they are eyes and ears and hands where it's hard to get them (and for finding invisible mages their ultrasound is very handy) - they are not great in a firefight and pretty fragile but they can shoot better than most drones with a pilot of 4 and lots of the same model means they can claim more space on the RCC for sharing programs (predator 6, tazer 6, crawler manuever 6, crawler evasion 6, crawler stealth 6
, smartgunsoft and clearsight 6.all spend a lot of time on the RCC and 5 drones each with a 12 dice attack pool can be quite nasty)

1 fly-spy for covert surveillance and reconnaissance

1 van - mostly legal mobile command centre

1 hyundai getaway car complete with internal flexible assault rifle, spike strips and lots of horsepower for when things get hairy.   

The rigger mostly commands the drones, letting their programs do the work and flicks between the various feeds but can jump in for especially difficult situations.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-16-17/1538:20> »
Always like the hollowed out Ares Paladin -2 body with Ares Crusader pop up mount, provides moveable cover for your team that also acts as a 2nd gun base cost of 5k bod 3 and 18 armor...

Dasher

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #25 on: <02-20-17/1727:18> »
I am a fan of repurposed toy and recreational drones myself.  Fragile but inexpensive and easy to replace.
"Do you know the sort of things that can fall into an industrial sausage press?"

SMDVogrin

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <03-31-17/1840:46> »
This is from GM perspective, but....

My favorite combat drone was one I gave to our Rigger to "beta-test".  This was pre-Rigger 5, and he had the standard complaint about how fragile drones were.  So I developed the ARES 'Paladin', a prototype drone based off the Duelist chassis.  What it ACTUALLY was, was the result of their bug spirit experimentation  - a VisModded Duelist that was effectively a FleshForm Merge.  (Increased the drone's stats by the spirit's force, gave it hardened armor against non-magic attacks, etc).

Man, I wish that campaign hadn't died before I got to the payoff for that...

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <04-01-17/0222:03> »
Transys Maid with Armored Jacket 8k has pilot 4 already to have pilot 4 yo have to pay 8k alone...

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <04-01-17/0352:11> »
upon further review paladin -3 armor for the +1 mp and 1500 for drone arm seems idea

Deadborder

• Chummer
  • For love and free Thuds
« Reply #29 on: <04-06-17/0522:07> »
Four swarmed MCT Rotordrones with AK-98s. Suppressive fire all the things. Grenade whatever's left.

This combination has done the rigger in my game wonders. The four of them working together have an amazing ability to create walls of fire that will murder or at the very least, suppress all but the hardiest of souls. Plus he laos likes to engage in pop-up gas grenade ambushes on targets.