NEWS

SR6 Probe Hack

• 4 Replies

hulka

• Newb
« on: <10-15-19/0858:51> »
1. CRB p.183-Probe (illegal) Cracking + Logic vs Willpower + Firewall or Firewall x 2 (Extended, 1 Minute)
2. CRB p.35-36 Opposed and Extended Tests
So Opposed is A vs B and extended is A(x, time). What is Probe hack Oposed or extended test?
IMO Cracking + Logic (Willpower + Firewall or Firewall x 2)(Extended, 1 Minute) or not?

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-19/0912:46> »
You might want to read through this thread: https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=30383.0

Short answer: Probe is an extended test, with the opposed dice roll determining the threshold. Each successive test follows the -1 dice pool modifier of extended test, but the opposed dice pool does not.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-19/1547:10> »
What is Probe hack Oposed or extended test?
As it tuned out, it is a little bit of both.

You could say that it is an unprecedented and unique Opposed Cracking + Logic vs Willpower + Firewall or Firewall x 2 (0, 1 Minute) Extended Test

Where you need to score a tie or better on the opposed test to be successful with the whole extended test (the net hit threshold for the Extended test to be successful seem to be 0), but if your opposed test is successful then you can also choose to continue taking more opposed tests - if you like (in some cases this will be worth it, in other cases you might want to stop after your first successful test and it seem as if you in some cases want to reset and then fish for a really good roll on your first minute of probing).

If you do, then each opposed test take 1 minute and you keep the sum of all net hits from all your opposed tests (the sum of all net hits will count as a positive dice pool modifier when you later take backdoor entry tests on this host).  Your dice pool (but not the opposed dice pool) is reduced by 1 dice for each repeated test you choose to take.

Note that if you fail a single opposed test then it seem as if the whole extended test fails (no matter how many net hits you had) and you have to start over (possible by activating the Trying Again rule or waiting for a longer period of time). Failing the test will not trigger any alarms (except maybe on glitch or critical glitch, this seem to be up to GM fiat).

Also note that the backdoor (your successful probe attempt) will vanish (fail) if you log out to reset your overwatch score between your successful probing and your backdoor entry attempt.
« Last Edit: <10-15-19/1550:08> by Xenon »

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-19/1800:22> »
OK.
I can roll 3times and my dice pool decrease by 1 for roll, for example i roll 7 hits. Otherways Host roll 3x and his dice pool is still same. His rolls are cumulative and it is threshold ,for example, when im lucky, he roll 5 hit. So i have 2 net hit what i can add to my future Backdoor test.
I have 8 OS, Defender hits 5 + 3 illegal actions 3x.
And there is place for house rules. I mean, Probe is like i look for poor defense in firewall and  security process. And when i found this i leave Backdoor or Troyan in their system. This is in for 10-Host Rating hours. No i can rest and reboot. At the night my team can go to research facility and i can Backdoor test for illegal admin access to help him with run.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-19/1810:43> »
Technically there is no threshold on this unique variation on an extended test, but yes you can informally think of the hits scored on the opposed roll as setting a variable threshold for that given interval.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.