NEWS

Underbarrrel grenade launcher

• 18 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <03-22-19/0841:22> »
Having trouble finding anything on this, but how many mini-grenades can you load in an underbarrel grenade launcher and what is its range?

And where do you add an Airburst Link? To the rifle, the launcher, the smartlink?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <03-22-19/1055:25> »
Both HK and Alpha have same base stats: 4 accuracy, SS, 6(c). Grenade Launchers have a range table on page 185, I think that applies to underbarrel as well.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-19/1126:22> »
So you think those stats apply to any underbarrel grenade launcher applied to a random weapon? With acc 4 it wold be more accurate to throw a grenade then, since you likely have a higher limit than 4. But range is better of course.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-22-19/1159:35> »
So you think those stats apply to any underbarrel grenade launcher applied to a random weapon? With acc 4 it wold be more accurate to throw a grenade then, since you likely have a higher limit than 4. But range is better of course.
You only need 3 to precisely place the grenade, if I'm remembering correctly.  Plus, things like personalized grip and smartlink would improve accuracy.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-22-19/1211:25> »
You only need 3 to precisely place the grenade, if I'm remembering correctly.
You are remembering correctly; there is no use to having an accuracy higher than 3 on a grenade launcher.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-19/1213:45> »
Yeah, since grenades' DV doesn't stage, any hits beyond 3 are pointless. As is any Accuracy beyond 3.

Edit: In other words: What Ghost Rigger slipped!
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <03-22-19/1220:16> »
You are remembering correctly; there is no use to having an accuracy higher than 3 on a grenade launcher.
Except for when you're aiming with a motion-sensor grenade at a person, since then they have to try to evade rather than being able to interrupt and sacrifice 5 initiative to run out of the way.

And sure, maybe it's more accurate. But at 50m distance the launcher has no penalty but the thrown grenade likely faces a -3 from distance.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-22-19/1228:32> »
Except for when you're aiming with a motion-sensor grenade at a person, since then they have to try to evade rather than being able to interrupt and sacrifice 5 initiative to run out of the way.

I can't think of any benefit from actually directly hitting a target with a grenade. So long as you're within a meter you do full DV (before chunky salsa rules come into effect) and that's what 3 hits represents.  Sure, a GM might impose extra threshold to reflect difficulty in hitting the "stationary pocket mule" right next to a fast zig-zagging target... but a more proper spirit of how penalties are applied would be to penalize your dice pool instead of increasing the threshold.

So sure, if the GM represents penalties by raising thresholds, then sure there's a case to be had to care about your Acc on a grenade launcher.

Also, you can't Run For Your Life from a grenade launcher-delivered grenade.  Only from thrown grenades.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <03-22-19/1244:49> »
RAW yes, but I wouldn't let people bypass evasion of grenades that easily. It's nonsense that I can dodge the thrown grenade but not the fired one.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-22-19/1255:14> »
It's a matter of opinion I suppose.

You don't get the chance to run out of the way of bullets, so why should you be allowed to run out of the way of a big explosive "bullet"?  Of course the grenade fusing rules don't really represent "realistic" laser-rangefound airbursts, so 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <03-22-19/1407:24> »
You don't get the chance to run out of the way of bullets, so why should you be allowed to run out of the way of a big explosive "bullet"?
I get the chance to run out of the way of a thrown grenade, so why should I not be allowed to run out of the way of a thrown knife?

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-22-19/1659:36> »
You don't get the chance to run out of the way of bullets, so why should you be allowed to run out of the way of a big explosive "bullet"?
I get the chance to run out of the way of a thrown grenade, so why should I not be allowed to run out of the way of a thrown knife?

You get a defense roll...and depending on the grenade setting you may not get a chance to run away from it. It could be on a timer or other trigger. In fact you may have a better chance of dodging a bullet than a grenade. Unless you carry a tennis racket. Always carry a tennis racket.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-22-19/2050:33> »

At this point you're undermining your own argument that RFYL should extend to non-thrown grenades.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-22-19/2357:25> »
It's a matter of opinion I suppose.

You don't get the chance to run out of the way of bullets, so why should you be allowed to run out of the way of a big explosive "bullet"?  Of course the grenade fusing rules don't really represent "realistic" laser-rangefound airbursts, so 6 of one, half a dozen of the other...

You get the chance to run away from area indirect combat spells and those must fly far far far faster than a grenade given their LoS instant hit ranges. 

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #14 on: <03-23-19/0002:19> »

You get a defense roll...and depending on the grenade setting you may not get a chance to run away from it. It could be on a timer or other trigger. In fact you may have a better chance of dodging a bullet than a grenade. Unless you carry a tennis racket. Always carry a tennis racket.
...just hope it doesn't have a pressure trigger.
Forsaken daughter is watching you