NEWS

Licenses

• 18 Replies

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« on: <05-25-11/1116:35> »

Okay...I'm finding that I'm purchasing a metric drek-ton of fake licenses.

Is there anywhere that actually spells out how these things work? I have been buying licenses for weapon classes (Hvy Pistol, AR, Knives, etc) and just sort of extrapolating other ideas (Cyber, Conceal Carry, "Registered Private Security", etc) to cover other stuff.

But I also find that I have a bunch of licenses that are pretty obscure..."Grapple Gun" etc.

Is there nowhere that spells this stuff out? Seems like I should just be able to pay for a specific CLASS of weapons license?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <05-25-11/1136:43> »
SR4A, p. 313 gives the basics. You only need a Firearms License to own a gun (although a conceal/carry permit is separate). Also, you only need a license for Restricted items. Forbidden items you don't need to get licenses for since there is no paperwork to carry Forbidden. It's illegal no matter what. ;)

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #2 on: <05-25-11/1357:46> »
Thanks, 'Jack. I have read the section you reference...it's just not strong on details.

Does a Firearms license cover ALL firearms? I can own anything from a Hold-Out to an HMG under one permit?

So I would just need a Firearms License, a Melee Weapon License, etc? 'Nade License?

Not sure what the Grapple Gun qualifies as...Toy License? B&E Tools license?

I got creative and got a "Registered Private Security" License so I could claim I need all this armor and firepower cause I'm a bodyguard...is that really necessary?

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <05-25-11/1402:52> by JoeNapalm »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <05-25-11/1433:40> »
I'd go with a Personal Defense (i.e. Melee) License for blades/batons and a Firearms License for all guns (you'd simply add "classes" to the single license to show what you're qualified to carry, much like Motorcycles are a class on your Driver's License). Exotic weapons (bows, crossbows, etc.) would require specific licenses, as well as the non-Forbidden grenades. Grapple guns, B&E tools, etc. would be "Job Permits". In other words, you'd need to have licensed proof that you work in an industry that requires such tools.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #4 on: <05-25-11/1450:51> »
The thing is, if you're willing to fill out the paperwork and deal with all the bureaucratic BS, nearly anything can be legal.

I've heard of one civilian that drives a tank down the streets of London after all!  This, in a country that will shut down a store for days to investigate finding a cartridge that could have dated back to WWI.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #5 on: <05-25-11/1505:40> »

Thanks again, FastJack.

The thing is, if you're willing to fill out the paperwork and deal with all the bureaucratic BS, nearly anything can be legal.

I've heard of one civilian that drives a tank down the streets of London after all!  This, in a country that will shut down a store for days to investigate finding a cartridge that could have dated back to WWI.

Legal? All my documents are 100% ersatz. Spurious. False. Forged. And fake.

I just am starting this character with a stupidly high Notoriety, and want to make sure he has his fake papers in order. Nothing ruins your day like getting thrown in jail for having an unlicensed grapple gun. Then you have to make a lie to tell the other inmates - like you had an unlicensed assault cannon with nuclear tipped ammunition - while you wait for your lawyer (read: Face pretending to be a high powered attorney).

-Jn-
City of Brass Expatriate

LonePaladin

• Chummer
  • Creator of HeroForge
« Reply #6 on: <05-26-11/2021:13> »
I'm surprised they didn't go into more detail on licenses and legalities in Attitude. Might be worth making a little splatbook about, however -- one of those six-page PDF types.

I remember once making a character that had absolutely nothing illegal or shady, apart from his fake ID. This was with a GM who liked to catch people with missing licenses, things like random Lone Star pull-overs. The look on his face when I handed him my gear list and everything (with the one exception) was 100% legal? Priceless.
"You can stop talking now.  Really.  Stop.  I have a Uzi."

ᴖᴥᴖ

Download my Matrix Card set:
https://sites.google.com/site/resonancerealms/

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <05-26-11/2027:31> »
Maybe something in Spy Games, still haven't gone through it with a fine-toothed comb.

They did give a full listing of what is in what rating of SIN.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #8 on: <05-27-11/1034:59> »
I'd go with a Personal Defense (i.e. Melee) License for blades/batons and a Firearms License for all guns (you'd simply add "classes" to the single license to show what you're qualified to carry, much like Motorcycles are a class on your Driver's License). Exotic weapons (bows, crossbows, etc.) would require specific licenses, as well as the non-Forbidden grenades. Grapple guns, B&E tools, etc. would be "Job Permits". In other words, you'd need to have licensed proof that you work in an industry that requires such tools.

So...for the sake of example, and my sanity *Grin*...would you say then, that a Rating 4 Firearms license would be ¥400, or would I need an Assault Rifle, Heavy Pistol, and Hold Out pistol "stamp" on that License, costing me a total of ¥1200?

This is what I have, currently:

Registered Private Security
Conceal Carry
Assault Rifles
Heavy Pistols
Hold-Out Pistols
Grenades (Non-Lethal)
Grapple Gun
Shock Weapons

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
« Last Edit: <05-27-11/1133:53> by JoeNapalm »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <05-27-11/1246:52> »
I'm pretty generous as a GM, so I'd only charge you the 400¥. ;)

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #10 on: <05-28-11/0412:03> »
I'm pretty generous as a GM, so I'd only charge you the 400¥. ;)

Touche'.

I'll check with my GM.

:)

-Jn-
« Last Edit: <05-28-11/0715:25> by JoeNapalm »

nojosecool

• Chummer
  • RE:PWN
« Reply #11 on: <06-01-11/0034:03> »
Would accessories and mods be covered by the firearms license also?
This is not Grand Theft Auto, this is Shadowrun.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <06-01-11/0035:52> »
Depends on the jurisdiction.

For example, Internal Smartgun Links are legal in Quebec, but External ones are illegal.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #13 on: <06-01-11/0856:34> »

For example, Internal Smartgun Links are legal in Quebec, but External ones are illegal.  :P

What if I program it to only provide output in French?

*Le Bang!*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Artighur

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <06-01-11/1117:54> »

Hey gotta keep people ready when there is awakened para-bear running around in packs !