NEWS

Run Help

• 8 Replies

忍

« on: <12-19-18/1422:20> »
So I've decided that the team's fixer is to be kidnapped (for tension's sake atm). The PCs know it's an AI but nothing else. I'm looking to make an overarccing plot with this. Firstly I Know I need to answer why. Why did Hitoshi (the fixer) get datanabbed? Who did it? What are they trying to accomplish? etc.

My initial inclination is that a dissonant TM is using AIs to open a hole to the Realms, but I think that's been done before. I'm not sure.

It could always just be some runners grabbing AI for a corp (for whatever reason), but I'd like it to be more relatable than just, "I got kidnapped!!1!"

Upon typing this a thought came to mind wheren the parent corp/AI/something is looking to reassilate to whole status. That creates an identity dynamic.

Ultimately I'm looking for some outside ideas to create a more organic (ha) plot. Any help would be appreciated.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-19-18/1455:52> »
A couple ideas spring to mind, but don't play into the AI side of things.

MUSCLED OUT:
An other Fixer wants to take over the AIs network of contacts and runners. But to do that, he needs said info from the AI. An other tean has been hired to capture and return...

TOO HOT TO HANDLE:
 The AI as a fixer has come into possession of a datapacket that has something too serious, embarassing, or valuable for the original owner to just let go, and has had the AI taken..

Theres a couple to get the juices going :p
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #2 on: <12-19-18/1507:23> »

My initial inclination is that a dissonant TM is using AIs to open a hole to the Realms, but I think that's been done before. I'm not sure.

"Has been done before" is only relevant if it's bee done before on your table. So don't let that stop you.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-19-18/1553:56> »
So I've decided that the team's fixer is to be kidnapped (for tension's sake atm). The PCs know it's an AI but nothing else. I'm looking to make an overarccing plot with this. Firstly I Know I need to answer why. Why did Hitoshi (the fixer) get datanabbed? Who did it? What are they trying to accomplish? etc.
The question I want to ask is "how did Hitoshi get kidnapped?" Is there some really complex Matrix stuff going on here, or is it as simple as "lure AI onto device, disable connection"? If it's the latter, then I imagine you could have fun putting him in someone's datalock. As for the other questions, you'd probably get better answers if you provided more details about the AI's origin and it's current motive and modus operandi.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-19-18/1622:26> »
I presume Hitoshi has more than 1 team of runners.
Maybe a second team decided to kidnap him. Maybe Hitoshi sent them on a run that got the team mage killed. And now they wants to sell of the AI in a fancy USB stick to the highest bidder.
So your runners have to deal with another team of runners, a bunch of dodgy dudes with pockets full of nuyen, and an AI that might or might not have sent a runner mage to the grave.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <12-19-18/1756:34> »
Done before is pretty irrelevant. If you want this to be or lead into over arcing plot, give it some layers. So sure the Evil Technos are knabbing AI for some reason to do something with them to fighter their enemies the soon to be player allies.  But they were turned on to the AI fixer by it's rival fixer, whom we will call Evil Fixer and to do it with the help of techno's created this red haring that leads to this gang, whom kidnapped this wage slave b/c they thought etc. Add a layer or two more and make chase it down. I'd be sure to add macguffin in there just for the sake of completeness. 
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-22-18/0840:30> »
The kidnapper could also be another matrix being, like another AI, free sprite, Nulls? Or some protosapient being. The twist is of course the runners would have to the ultra violet zone/foundation/resonance realm? To save their fixer.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #7 on: <01-08-19/1751:35> »
Or maybe the bad guy is literally the other half of the AI, wanting to compile into completion but since the halves have been separated for so long they developed into distinct entities (if the AI has a past as being locked up by EVO and others)
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

&#24525;

« Reply #8 on: <01-17-19/1858:21> »
Or maybe the bad guy is literally the other half of the AI, wanting to compile into completion but since the halves have been separated for so long they developed into distinct entities (if the AI has a past as being locked up by EVO and others)
#notWintermute

So the 'plot' is that Hitoshi got nabbed (by Humanis) because he acquired a compilation of dirt on candidates for Governor of the Underground and is being tortured for its location.

Each of the candidates has some alternative agenda (cept Humanis's candidate), and its up to the party to backtrack and unwind the who, what, why, and where.