NEWS

[SR6] Drone Rigger Questions/Discussion

• 8 Replies

kr3wZ

• Newb
« on: <08-12-19/1935:48> »
Reading the Rigger section and looking at control rigs and drones, I just wanted to clarify something.  6E CRB says that the number of drones that can be slaved to a device is it's rating x 3.  Since the purchasing gear section says you can't start with anything illegal over availability 7, assuming you start with a DR 6 Command Console, you could have 18 drones??

Also, if a rigger has multiple drones (at multiple initiative spots) and he uses a Major Action to tell them to shoot someone, does that mean at all 3 drone initiative spots they take a shot at the target?  I believe priority A money is like 450,000 nuyen which seems like you could kit out a rigger with a ton of stuff unless I'm totally missing something. 

This is my first time actually trying to run something in Shadowrun (only played in 5E) and I'm just trying to put together something for my players that would ease them into Character Creation. 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-12-19/1951:02> »
Reading the Rigger section and looking at control rigs and drones, I just wanted to clarify something.  6E CRB says that the number of drones that can be slaved to a device is it's rating x 3.  Since the purchasing gear section says you can't start with anything illegal over availability 7, assuming you start with a DR 6 Command Console, you could have 18 drones??

Yep. Per the description on pg 197, the max # of drones is 3xRCC Rating. Furthermore, you can spend a single Major Action to issue orders to all of them.

Also, if a rigger has multiple drones (at multiple initiative spots) and he uses a Major Action to tell them to shoot someone, does that mean at all 3 drone initiative spots they take a shot at the target?  I believe priority A money is like 450,000 nuyen which seems like you could kit out a rigger with a ton of stuff unless I'm totally missing something. 

If a player is actually using a swarm of drones, I'd suggest hand waiving the initiative a bit, and make the player roll once for all the drones.  In fact, I'd recommend using the Grunt Group rules (pg 114) for a drone swarm.  Not just for streamlining's sake: the cap on edge gains does get to be intrusive if you're participating in lots of actions in one combat round.  If you (and your drones) are only making a few attacks per round, it's not really a problem.

This is my first time actually trying to run something in Shadowrun (only played in 5E) and I'm just trying to put together something for my players that would ease them into Character Creation.

Good luck! It's been my experience at GenCon and demos that people who actually play 6we enjoy it!  Hope it's the same for your group!
« Last Edit: <08-12-19/1954:11> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-12-19/2000:30> »
If a player is actually using a swarm of drones, I'd suggest hand waiving the initiative a bit, and make the player roll once for all the drones.  In fact, I'd recommend using the Grunt Group rules (pg 114) for a drone swarm. 

Wow, didn't even think of that.  I'm trying to create a Rigger character myself right now just to see how it all works.  It just seemed a little crazy that someone could have that many haha.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-12-19/2003:20> »
The FB Blackhawk drone (pg. 300) is even expressly designed to be used in grunt groups!
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-12-19/2048:42> »
How would you handle something like the Steel Lynx Combat Drone if they had multiple weapons attached to it (possible 4 weapon slots)?  Do they fire one gun at a time or is it the same rules as dual wielding (quad wielding? lol)

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-12-19/2059:59> »
Yeah,  you'd go down the Dual Wielding rabbit hole.

For sanity's sake I'd just fire one weapon at a time :D

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-12-19/2213:47> »
Just spitballing here:

Let's say a Rigger has the aforementioned Steel Lynx Combat Drone, which can hold 4 weapon mounts.  (Jesus this thing has 16 armor too!)

If they put a Yamaha Raiden in each slot (since it's a rifle, I believe the rules say you can slot up to an Assault Rifle with 250 rounds), each gun attacking by itself would have AR 11 (at Near Range) + Sensor 4 (of the Drone) for a 15 dice pool if one of them shoots. 

Now let's say I followed the Multiple Attack rules for shooting all four in one go by commanding the drone to attack. Lowest firing setting is SA, semi-auto which I believe fires two shots, decreasing AR by 2 and increasing Damage by 1.

So now we've got AR 9 + Sensor 4 for each gun at a DV of 5.  I would think you take each pool of (now 13) dice and divide it by 4 attacks for 3 dice in each pool, however any of those that hit will do 5+[net hits] of damage, which is ridiculous, but would only really have a chance on Prof rating 2ish and below. 

If anyone sees anything completely wrong with that or has anything add I'd appreciate it.  Doesn't really seem that good and you'd be better off as a Rigger having one or two guns per drone.

« Last Edit: <08-12-19/2216:02> by kr3wZ »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <08-13-19/0033:22> »
Multi weapons would be for lasting longer or for spreading your tactical options, for example one stun and one physical gun and a launcher for emergencies.

Or multifire grenade launchers and enjoy the massive scatter! 8)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kr3wZ

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-13-19/0123:16> »
Ah that makes much more sense.