NEWS

DrivethruRPG print on demand items - bit disappointed

• 7 Replies

yojimbo

• Newb
« on: <01-15-13/1322:19> »
I ordered several books for SR2 and SR3 using DrivethruRPG's print on demand service. All of these items were supplied as an OEF (original electronic format) PDF. In a lot of cases, the PDF had corrections which added further value to the product.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that the books have been printed from a scanned image rather than the OEF PDF. Why hasn't the OEF PDF been distilled as a file for printing? I concede that the quality of the scanned images is good but I expected to receive a printed copy of the PDF I received. Furthermore, I have noticed that some of the scans of older products are poor (I've avoided these products).

I have to say that if a company thinks that offering PDF/POD of older products is simply a matter of putting up a poor quality scan then they are sadly mistaken as far as I am concerned. I would rather trawl eBay for a copy of the original printing.

Jim.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #1 on: <01-15-13/1452:44> »
I've got all the pod shadowrun products that they offer, and I have been happy with the quality. 

Could you please point out the difference/corrections?

As I said, I have been very satisfied with the quality and the prices as well.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-15-13/1458:15> »
I ordered several books for SR2 and SR3 using DrivethruRPG's print on demand service. All of these items were supplied as an OEF (original electronic format) PDF. In a lot of cases, the PDF had corrections which added further value to the product.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that the books have been printed from a scanned image rather than the OEF PDF. Why hasn't the OEF PDF been distilled as a file for printing? I concede that the quality of the scanned images is good but I expected to receive a printed copy of the PDF I received. Furthermore, I have noticed that some of the scans of older products are poor (I've avoided these products).

I have to say that if a company thinks that offering PDF/POD of older products is simply a matter of putting up a poor quality scan then they are sadly mistaken as far as I am concerned. I would rather trawl eBay for a copy of the original printing.

Jim.

Honestly, I think this post perfectly demonstrates just how unbelievably spoiled gamers have become.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-15-13/1459:54> »
Have you asked the folks at DriveThruRPG these questions?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

yojimbo

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-15-13/1617:09> »
I've got all the pod shadowrun products that they offer, and I have been happy with the quality. 

Could you please point out the difference/corrections?

As I said, I have been very satisfied with the quality and the prices as well.

I have to say that I'm very happy with the price but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a print copy of the book that is advertised in the previews on DTRPG. The PDFs I received are based on the latest corrected printings of the books (the Fanpro versions for SR3 books). In some cases they have further corrections (the copyright date is either 2005 or 2006). The printed copies are all scans of the original FASA 1st printing. Further, there is a noticeable difference in quality between a POD book printed from an OEF PDF compared to a print from a scan. I don't understand why a scanned image was supplied for printing rather than using the OEF PDF.

Have you asked the folks at DriveThruRPG these questions?

I have. They said they'll get on to the publisher (Catalyst).

Honestly, I think this post perfectly demonstrates just how unbelievably spoiled gamers have become.
And this perfectly demonstrates how unbelievably pompous certain messageboard posters have become.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-22-13/0641:53> »
This post honestly demonstrates that somebody should institute an IQ test for everyone before their allowed to post in the internet.

On the OP, it's quite weird their doing POD from differed files then the ones sold, one would think that it's simpler to provide same files for sale and print.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <01-22-13/1119:16> »
SOmeone who handles layout could give you more information, but from what I've been told, printers use different file layouts and formats for Print than are used for standard PDF.

Bull

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-22-13/1259:11> »
SOmeone who handles layout could give you more information, but from what I've been told, printers use different file layouts and formats for Print than are used for standard PDF.

Bull
Well that atleast explains why the print is from different file, still a mystery is ofcource why the print file isn't made from the newer and better PDF.
"An it harm none, do what you will"