NEWS

Ares Macrotechnology and Insect Spirits

• 131 Replies

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #90 on: <01-12-12/1110:12> »
Hrm... Someone said FAB-III proof bug spirits somewhere a bit back. Is that what a perfect merger does? Because that would be so much fun. The magical theories alone about how that works would change up thaumaturgical thought on that particularly nasty bacteria.
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #91 on: <01-12-12/1130:01> »
Plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chosé.

Old school quotes for the win. ;)
I really like this one too  ;)
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #92 on: <01-12-12/1640:21> »
hi look at that :ares+bug=missing corpcort fotball 8)
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #93 on: <01-12-12/1705:28> »
hi look at that :ares+bug=missing corpcort fotball 8)

Exactly Redwolf, exactly!

CAS-Aztlan tension - CAS has heavy links to Ares... Aztlan strong magic focus, plus distracts from their insidious purpose...
Missing football... Corporations hamstringed, bug enemy number two distracted
Dragon tension - bug enemy number one distracted (are they really?  Can anyone, even Bugs, really outsmart a dragon?)
Technomancer scare - bugs have a weakness in technology, particularly the technomancers and their realms where all knowledge lives on. (Note: What happens when a technomancer is possessed by a bug...)  Bugs are all about being undetected, technomancers can detect them through the Realms, therefore, keep the technomancers from being utilised and the world distracted on a different enemy
Jackpoint - another potential enemy with enough reach and connects to expose the bug plot - keep them infighting and focused elsewhere, if possible, infiltrate this organisation and subvert.
Horizon - there everywhere and the govern by 'consensus'  How buggy is that?  And they are being used against Jackpoint, Aztlan, Ares and who knows who else?  Are they using Social Adepts or just bugs with really, really good pheronmones?

There will be wars, witch (well technomancer) hunts, death and destruction, and in the end, the bugs will ensure their own survival at any cost!
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #94 on: <01-12-12/1922:47> »
Hrm... Someone said FAB-III proof bug spirits somewhere a bit back. Is that what a perfect merger does? Because that would be so much fun. The magical theories alone about how that works would change up thaumaturgical thought on that particularly nasty bacteria.
Any inhabitation merge (whether Bug spirit or not) would be a dual-natured creature, regardless of how well the merge went off. FAB III attacks any dual-natured creature. To make bugs that were immune to FAB III would not be a process of improving the merge, but in finding some way to have them automatically cast certain spells when FAB III clouds got near.

(Note: What happens when a technomancer is possessed by a bug...)
They lose their connection to the Resonance, and all their abilities. Same as if they were Infected.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #95 on: <02-10-12/1155:04> »
Back when I had aspirations of writing for FanPro and Rob Boyle told me to hit him with some writing, one of the ideas I never got off the ground to him (the management shift happened right as I was sending in, and no one ever got back to me) was alternative hosts for insects. As we've seen with Ares experiments, the bugs can invest in non-metahumans such as dogs, bears and so on. What I had never seen reference to was it's effect on others, specifically my specialty: the Infected. With HMHVV 1 infectees, the ones with regeneration and essence drain, it seems like a slim chance of working. But for something a bit closer to baseline metahumanity, like a ghoul...?

I have yet to hit my group with them, but one of the two sourcebooks and the novel I had for Rob made use of the concept. Seems to me that Ares has access to any biological samples it needs to do all kinds of expeimentation (as though getting samples of HMHVV is all THAT hard, anymore.)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #96 on: <02-14-12/1819:51> »
Perrfect!...(evil laugh) ;D
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #97 on: <02-14-12/1838:30> »
I got the impression that the insect spirit gestation required a sapient host.  Certainly an animal could be used as food, but maturing into an actual spirit needed something that animals just don't have.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #98 on: <02-14-12/1853:22> »
Oh, insects can be put in animals. There's a lovely pic in Corporate Guide showing just such a merge.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #99 on: <02-14-12/1902:15> »
Why would they ever bother with humans?  Animals are much more easy to acquire.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #100 on: <02-15-12/0437:30> »
Because thumbs are awesome.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #101 on: <02-15-12/0649:04> »
That, and it is rather difficult for flesh form animals to gather animals and prepare them for investment.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #102 on: <02-15-12/0943:03> »
Also, I'm putting forward the idea that insect spirits get something from merges with metahumans that they can't get from critter merges. 

But the short version is, IMHO, that metahuman flesh-forms make them a more immediate threat - like "If it happened to person X & Y it could happen to me!"

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #103 on: <02-16-12/1309:41> »
Critters also have rotten Willpower, by and large, making a good merge rather difficult. The new "They could be anyone ... they could be you, they could be me,  ANYONE!" bugs are way sneakier than the old ones. This is a Thing for them. (Heck, Chicago's hives were probably filled with 80% stray dogs and cats that got True Formed. I wouldn't have a problem with saying that a Queen had to be a metahuman, however.)

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #104 on: <02-18-12/0007:47> »
Additionally, consider that the insects want to expand to take over this world, as they may have done with countless others. Animals do not generally present a large force of intelligent resistance compared to humans, who have all manner of resources arrayed against insect invasion. And yes, investing in lots and lots of animals may make a large number of weak shocktroops they could overwhelm the enemy with, but that would do incredible amounts of damage to the world they want to consume. They want out of the Hive plane because it is overcrowded. I doubt they're looking to fill this place with half-assed dog merges. What's more, the slow expansion enables them to cultivate the growth of this world. Those Queens who make it through want positions of power, not a massive cleansing. If they control us or lead us, they can direct research in new directions that empower them, breed more humans to serve as hosts for the future, perhaps even find ways to colonize to other worlds in time, spreading the insects not only across the dimensions, but space, itself.

All of that being said, some Queens may decide the best course of action is to send waves of troops, in which case they may make use of insect animals.
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/